“Boca Grandi is the place to go for Kiteboarding in Aruba”
Review of Kitesurfing Aruba

Kitesurfing Aruba
More attraction details
Owner description: Armando, the founder of Kitesurfing Aruba started out kiting before it became mainstream. This makes him Aruba's first ever Kitesurfer and pioneer in promoting kitesurfing on Aruba. Over 9000 people have learned under Armando's proven method of teaching. This sport is ideal for individuals or the whole family.
Reviewed March 4, 2015

I am writing this review for fellow kiteboarders. My husband and I are always looking for new kiteboarding destinations. For this trip, we decided to try Aruba because we read that it is the most consistently windy island in the Caribbean. We stayed at one of the high rise hotels on Palm Beach, hoping to kite at the Fisherman's Hut location on the north end of the beach near the Ritz Carleton (where Vela Kiteboarding and Armando's Kite School are located). I have to advise anyone planning to travel here - the kiting conditions are terrible! The wind is off-shore, and because it comes across the island to the beach, there are a ton of wind holes and shadows (from all the hotels!). It is chaotic with people everywhere, windsurfers, tons of beginners, boats and as such it gets super crowded. We kited here one day and then decided it just wasn't worth it.

Instead, we rented a car and drove to Boca Grandi beach after reading other reviews about the best kiting beaches on the island. Definitely recommend this beach! Boca Grandi is a bay with on-shore winds, nice small waves, and steady winds averaging 20-25 knots the week we were there. Just remember to pack a lunch because there are no restaurants around. And if you have a sun umbrella that would be helpful too - there is a rigged up little shack made of drift wood but that's about the only shelter providing any shade.

Don't bother with Fisherman's Hut at Palm Beach - go to Boca Grandi! The only downside is that it is remote, no restaurants nearby (although you could drive to the grocery store in San Nicolas) and there is only one accommodation there (Kite Inn). The drive from Palm Beach to Boca Grandi Beach is about 40-45 minutes depending on traffic on the main road.

28  Thank Sasha M
"blast"
"aruba"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

At first I was abit put off by Armando's school because his people do a lot of aggressive stunts close to shore and they get right into your space with aggressive tactics even when it's obvious you are not that good at kitesurfing. But let me tell you, they are the first out in the water with a rescue boat if they see someone in trouble and they are easy going to talk to and hang out with. I plan on returning to Aruba and when I am ready for advanced lessons, these guys have my respect. The stuff they were doing was far beyond anything I have seen, here or in other schools. Good advanced kitesurfing school.

1  Thank dracop9
Reviewed February 16, 2014

At 68, I've vacillated about trying kite surfing. Back,knees,vision etc. aren't what they used to be. While in Aruba this week, luckily hooked up with Armando and his outstanding staff at Armando's Kite Shack. www.kitesurfingaruba.com I signed up for a beginner lesson which was one hour on land learning basic kite handling, then one hour in water learning safety,kite retrieval,body dragging.Very thorough instructions with full safety and knowledge in easy steps. LOVED IT! Only regret was I didn't have more days and time to take added lessons that would take me to actual ski board in water and surfing waves.. They correctly set these added lessons in progression. I investigated others on other islands over the years. These are the best. Perfect conditions always with one on one help and dedicated rescue craft there. I am hooked! Awesome experiences to follow. No physical issues at all, just heart pumping expectations to be realized. Try them and love the lift.

2  Thank avi514
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Aruba is different from many kitesurfing venues in that the wind is offshore and it is near tall hotels. Both of these need to be taken into account for safe kiting. The later results in the wind being rather puffy. A beginner kiter that goes downwind ends up further and further out to sea. The kiting area is shallow so the instructor and student can stand in much of the area and walk back to the beach. The downside is that stinging by some algae is possible, similar to the sting of a nettle but more persistent. If necessary a launch can pick up and bring you back to shore. The instruction was excellent and as good as I have received anywhere. Instruction was cheaper than in many areas I have visited.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Armando, Jana, EZ, Yuris all really know what they are doing, can transfer the knowledge effectively, and are very safety conscious. We met people from all over the world and had a really great time in addition to the kitesurfing. They are the best!!

It takes some people longer than others to get up and riding. My son (27) very quick. Me (59) not as quick but now i am up and riding and it is a blast! That was the objective for this year's trip to Aruba and the mission was accomplished! Riding is a fantastic experience as you skim along the water. I can't wait until next year and we just got back home!

2  Thank Kiteguy