“First Class”

"Anna-Maria's Autentico Ristorante Italiano".
Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in Noord
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Lakeshore, Canada
“First Class”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

In Feb/13, 5 of us went here for dinner. A friend and frequent customer told us about this hidden treasure. You arrive at the front of a gated house and buzz the intercom. You are greeted by a member of the staff and led to the back patio where there are about10 tables of various sizes. It is actually the owner's home and they do all the cooking. The wait staff are friendly and pleasant. The food was excellent and there was plenty of it. Authentic Italian fare served at the perfect pace. The owner, Anna-Maria, is Italian and her husband is from Aruba. Both came out after dinner to meet us and they couldn't be nicer. We enjoyed this dinig experience and I would highly recommend it as a must-do when visiting the island. Be sure to call a few days in advance for reservations.

1 Thank GWing51

Bayville, New York
“A Very Good Italian Restaurant in Aruba”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had trouble finding this restaurant as it is actually in the owner's residence. But it was well worth it. The food was great and everything is made from scratch. Be prepared to wait a bit longer for each dish as the owners are the chefs also. The food is authentic Italian (we know being from New York) and is really good. We had pastas with seafood and the dishes were delicious. The staff is friendly and professional and reservations are a must. You have to try it when in Noord, Aruba

1 Thank Rich P
Toronto, Canada
“Unique dining experience, must try!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Arriving at the front gate and escorted to the terrace at the back of the house, made us feel like guests of the house. The terrace is very charming and al fresco dining is always a treat. Service was good and attentive. We saw reviews lamenting the slow pace, so we arrived at 6pm and despite this, dinner took 2 hours. Ricotta filled crepe with tomato sauce was delicious. Seafood linguine was excellent, as all the seafood ingredients were very fresh and the pasta al dente. The lasagna was very layered in tastes and ingredients, very tasty without being heavy. This was not the typical meat filled lasagna. The rolled cake with nuts and side of ice cream was very enjoyable. Location is slightly difficult to find and dinner is very leisurely, but you have to try this place!

1 Thank must_travel_soon_10
Budd Lake, New Jersey
“Great food, but some service and drink issues”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

While I wanted to give this establishment a 5 star rating unfortunately it started off strong and ended on a less than positive note.

Arrived for 7 PM weeknight reservation -

1) Decor and atmosphere are great and authentic (5 star) -- roughly 10 total tables (6 with 2 seat arrangements and the others with 4-6 seat arrangements.

2) Appetizer - we ordered Calamari and they were well cooked and the breading and sauce were very good.

3) Main course -- 5 star rating -- eggplant lasagne was excellent and the gnocchi with vodka sauce and mushrooms were both excellent.

The price of the appetizer and main course were reasonable and the timeliness was good for these two courses.

Now for the bad --

The Sangria carafe is about 2 liters (with ice) and costs around $63-68. While the glasses that come out have fruit in them the Sangria carafe does not. We were told it had 6 liquors in it and my 125 pound wife and I finished the carafe and neither of us had the slightest effect of alcohol. The Sangria while it tasted good was definitely lacking in alcohol content -- for around $65 I would expect a lot better. Minus 1 star.

The worst however was the meal was going quite well and ended the main course around 80-90 min after arriving and onto dessert. I was so looking forward to some Tiramisu and was told initially they were out -

I mentioned I was really hoping for this dessert and if they didn't have it that we would just take the check and call it a night and I would pickup some Tiramisu Gelato back near the Occidental Resort. Well 5 minutes goes by and the waiter comes back out and mentions that they do indeed have Tiramisu after all . Great -- ordered Tiramisu and my wife ordered a Cannoli. This is at 830... OK so 845 no dessert, 850 nothing, 855 nothing. The place is half empty and the two waiters are focused on getting the entrees out to the tables and no dessert in sight. 9 PM no dessert... Finally at 905PM after 35 minutes I asked for the check -- credit card in hand.

I get that meals are prepared based on what was ordered and they take time but dessert should be out within 5-10 minutes (15 min tops). This is really a huge issue that falls down to service and management -- you have to focus on the meal start to finish. Not checking on your customers after they order dessert for 35 minutes and not bringing it out is just a flat out failure.

When I asked for my check after sitting an additional 35 minutes after ordering it the dessert was no where to be found. Ended up going back to the hotel and stopping to get Tiramisu Gelato -- which while it was good was from somewhere else and not what I had my heart set on. Would have been better if they just said they didn't have it -- would have been a 3.5 star review rounded up to 4 probably.

Minus 1 star for Sangria that missed the mark (if two people drink an equal amount of 2L Sangria and the wife doesn't feel any effect of the alcohol there is a problem).

Minus 2 stars for the dessert fiasco -- It did get uncomfortable just sitting there from the 90 min mark to 125 minutes waiting for the dessert that just never arrived. There isn't enough guests to miss this and we were right by the sliding door that goes into the kitchen -- I had a notion to pop my head in and ask if someone was running to the grocery store to pick it up.

2 Thank musicman40nj
Cedar, Michigan
“A special treat...”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Last night we enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Anna Maria's- we were a bit concerned because of hearing that dinner takes too long at Anna Maria's but we were glad we decided to go anyway. Entering this home based restaurant in Aruba is like stepping into someone's courtyard in Italy. It's a relaxing place... the service was impeccable and the food was amazing- perfectly prepared. The food preparation did take some time but that is understandable because everything is made from scratch and to order. I wouldn't take young children to Anna Maria's but for a relaxing dinner, I think that 1 1/2 hours for appetizer, entree, wine and dessert makes for a pleasant evening. At the end of our evening, owner Christian visited each table making sure each quest had enjoyed their dinner. It is obvious that this restaurant is a labor of love for Christian and his wife, Anna Maria. We hope we will be able to have dinner there again before leaving for home.

2 Thank leelanaugirl