“there is a thief in the midst”

Caribbean Palm Village Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Noord
Silver Spring, Maryland, United States
“there is a thief in the midst”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed at this resort for the first time and the first few days was alright but someone waited til the next to the last day and stole my ring and souvenir out of my room. I went to management and they sort of blew me off and stated that they would look into it then when i went to check again they said that the maids did not see any ring. Now did they really think that a maid would stand up and say I did it. I had other valuables out like camera and laptop they were not disturbed but i specifically left my ring and some souvenir items on my nightstand and it was gone when i came back from my excursion. The furniture was definitely uncomfortable. This place is out of the way the place to be was downtown!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Shawn J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed at the Caribbean Palm Village. The building/grounds looked beautiful. The outside of the property is very well maintained. They also had lots of security guards; twenty-four hours per day.
I checked in, pre-paid, and was given a bill for an additional $133. I asked why and was told there was a $10 per day tax plus $60 for government taxes.
Then I went to my room where the door was open and other people's things were in it. The maid came in and was shocked to see me, she was still cleaning and trying to pack up the things that the previous guest had left.
The room was very spacious but the bathroom had many many cracks in the shower tiles and all around the tub. I tried to used the washer and dryer on the property and was told it would cost .25c, even thought the amount on the machine said .50c. That was not the case. I had to buy a token from the front desk for $2 per use. Then the token wouldn't work. The resort had a shuttle but it only ran two round trips per day to the beach.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Marcia H
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I have read the reviews before choosing this hotel and I can't understand the negative ones,, or wait I can. Aruba is wonderful but something to understand like many tropical islands, once you leave the resort you see the true area you are staying in. By the standards of US citizens it is teetering on 3rd world.... the whole island. Unless you own land near the Light House welcome to reality. Jamaica, Bahamas, and Turks and Caicos is like this as well, this is not Hawaii or a US territory so prepare yourself. The buildings are bright and colorful, but like the rest of the world the economy is suffering. It is however very safe, just be smart I had no problems. . But that is only if you are not well traveled and expect a Disney World atmosphere where everything is happy and jolly. That aside, if you stay here it is because you are on a budget and the only reason why this place is so cheap is because it is not right on the beach. This hotel is about 1 mile to the beach, I am young and on a budget and it was no problem to walk to the beach, didn't take long maybe 20 minutes. I am from Chicago, so I have no problem taking a city bus. The bus stop is across the street, so to go downtown will cost you 1.35 for one way and 2.70 for round trip. Much cheaper than renting a car or taking a cab. The front office staff was very helpful! I loved Jennifer, she was awesome and Farley was nice as well. They have daily activities, but I didn't really partake. The pool was nice and if you are someone that like to stay at a resort or on the grounds and have no since of adventure, I say stay at one of the resorts. That way you can be entertained without leaving.

DO
Cunukoo Bus! The dinner bus was a great deal and Farley gave us an awesome discount! (the night is hazy after 3rd bar)
Jolly Pirate - In Aruba all the competition is located right next to each other so before you book ask everyone...the prices differ depending on who you talk to.
Eagle Beach (more quiet...but you need to bring everything you need)
Palm Beach ( AMAZING! Haggle for a good price on chairs )
Wed- go to confessions Lady's night, 9-11pm free martinis and mojitos for ladies
(Drinking age is 18 so expect to party with the babies lol)
Don't s
Be stressed- things are slower on the island
Expect convenience to come cheap.
Show up to catch your Departing flight less than 3 hours ahead. Customs is rough if you are US citizen you go through it 2 times. Aruba and US. So be prepared.
Enjoy this beautiful 1 happy Island

Room Tip: I would go for the kitchen, you could cook your own food and save a bundle. Aruba is VERY expensive...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank JillianC2
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Overall we were pretty disappointed with the hotel. While our room had plenty of space that was about the only good thing from our trip. The service at the hotel was mediocre (they weren't rude or abrasive, they were just useless and overeager). On our first morning at the hotel the concierge calls at 9am and wakes us up to see of we are interested in buying a unit. He made no apologies for the wake up call. Without a car, the shuttle is a necessary inconvenience. It runs 6 days a week from the hotel to the beach but service is limited and arrival and departure times vary by +-10 mins so it's not uncommon to be left stranded somewhere and have to spring for a taxi. The furniture in the rooms is uncomfortable and makes it difficult to spend any length of time there. The ac is always on and you are not able to adjust it up or down in your own room. The hallways are tile which makes it very loud both late at night and early in the morning. Do not expect to sleep in unless you are a very hard sleeper. The majority of guests are families with children. Children monopolize the two hotel pools at all hours of the day. Overall I cant say we had a bad stay, but we will be looking for a different hotel on our next trip.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Tearbear03
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We enjoyed this resort and feel that the resort management tries really hard to take care of their guests. Everything was well maintained and although we would have preferred one of the renovated rooms the one we had was spacious and comfortable. Daily maid service is unusual in our experience for this type of resort but most welcome. The pool and spa were delightful, the bus service to the beach was nice and the midweek entertainment was excellent.
We were less impressed with Aruba in general but that is not the subject of this review.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank M1chael
McDonough, GA
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We spent a week at the CPVR (6.16-23.12). I did a LOT of research before we booked and went, so there were NO surprises.

I begin that, because as I read some of these reviews, it seems that people didn't know anything about it. PLEASE RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GO AND THEN POST NEGATIVE THINGS BECAUSE YOU DID NOT DO YOUR 'JOB.' (Getting off my soapbox now).

Let's clear up a few misconceptions...It is NOT in a "slum." It IS in a more residential area, about a mile from the high-rise hotels. A "nice" walk to a grocery store (Kong Fui), and the high rise area. However, after I did my research about the location, we rented a car (Tropic-great experience). We did not want to have to rely on the free shuttle to MooMba-we like exploring, and it was cheap.

We also realized that this is NOT a hotel. A previous review complained that the place wasn't cleaned daily...you rented a CONDO..be thankful for the daily maid service which included making the bed, and providing clean towels..mid-week, the place was cleaned. I am currently staying in a beachfront condo in Sanibel (week 2 of our vacation), and there are NO services provided...which is typical and EXPECTED. Since we travel quite a bit, we found the fact that CPVR replenishes paper goods/soap, made beds daily, and did a mid-week cleaning of the condo was a bonus.

The outside grounds are as pretty as the pictures. I did use the pool once; it wasn't crowded at all; the water was clean, the pool was clean, and lovely. The pool stays open until 10:30. We had a pool front view in bldg. A...the noise was never horrible, and we were close to the restaurant.

The condo and the grounds are clean, clean, clean.

The only problem we had was dealt with quickly. After a day at Arashi Beach, we came back to a very warm condo...called and someone was there within 15 min. The thermostats are locked in, so he adjusted it lower...went to dinner, and ugh...called down and they re-assigned us-it was ...(I actually liked the new location better..center of the building, better view). We were in that room for two nights before leaving. The power went out as we moved from one unit to another..for about an hour or so. (Irony didn't escape us). They provide candles and matches, so all we did was light them and wait.

The condo is a basic condo-for some reason, the couch in our original room-1301 was wickedly uncomfortable--there was a wood bar across the back. It wasn't like that in our second room-1205. Not sure if the pull out was used and not put back properly. We didn't bother to investigate! Balcony has a table and 4 chairs...and is decent sized.

Free wi-fi...works at the pool, member lounge..and if you have a pool front room? In your room (our first room was not quite pool front, so the wi-fi worked great on the balcony, but not so well inside. Second room was direct pool-front-worked great all over the condo).

The one-bedroom condo has two bathrooms, which was great. The kitchens come fully stocked with just about every appliance you'd need. We ate in 4 of 7 nights. There are gas barbecue grills on either side of the resort-we used them to grill a few times. We didn't realize until we were done that we were supposed to call maintenance to light them! ;-).

The have a welcome party-this is a time-share condo (which rents out condos when there is space). Free drinks, a show, local vendors (bought some original artwork-pretty little prints), and munchies. Music, too...a nice hour or so. On Sunday, they do an orientation, where the activities directors, Farley and Mislady, go through the various tours, activities, etc. We did book an ABC Jeep tour through their office in the Member's Lodge (near the back entrance).

There are daily activities scheduled-pool exercises, dance lessons, bingo, other things-we didn't participate-we were out and about exploring on our own.

If you are looking for basic, clean accommodations, this is it. The grounds are MUCH prettier than the units, which is fine, because, let's face it...how much time do you plan to spend IN your condo? It was clean, beds were comfortable...two flat screen tvs that use satellite (watch NYC and Miami tv, plus Aruban stations--this was a late night activity). There is also an on-site spa, which we did not utilize.

Since this was a timeshare week given to us as an anniversary celebration, we have ZERO complaints...

Just--do your homework when planning a vacation, and keep in mind...you are in a foreign country..

;-)

We will be back, but probably will stay elsewhere, as we will be bringing our children and their wife/gfriend.

Room Tip: Pool front...pretty view, great wi-fi
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank LaurieannL
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is a excellent hotel! We stayed at the Caribbean Palm Village for just one day because we flew on stand by tickets and got in a day early. Had we known this hotel was that good we would of booked our whole week there. I'm so surprised by the negative comments this hotel received because it was better than our four star hotel we stayed at the rest of the week. The only down side to this hotel is that it's not very close to the beach, but next time I come I will stay there and just rent a car because that's the right way to do Aruba! Oh ya Miguel, you are a very good host/security guard/man. Thank you for making us feel like family!

Room Tip: Rent a car!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Ryan G
, CPVR Resort at Caribbean Palm Village Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review. We look forward to your return to CPV!
We will definitly forward your kind comments to Miguel as well.

Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Noord
Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa
Brickell Bay Beach Club & Spa
#23 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Caribbean Palm Village Resort? Share your experiences!