“My Home Away From Home”

Movenpick Hotel & Resort Al Bida'a Kuwait
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Salmiyah
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

The Movenpick is always my first choice when I travel to Kuwait. The rooms are large and always clean and most have balconies that overlook the hotel's many pools.

As a business traveller I typically need quietness and Internet - this can't always be guaranteed at this hotel. Loud families and sports teams sometimes take over the hotel. Though reception is quick to deploy security when called, guests don't always heed the warnings. All rooms have free Internet but wifi is only available in the lobby. On my last trip I was told that wifi is coming to the rooms within the month.

The most attractive feature of the location is a popular string of restaurants that line the front of the hotel. You don't have to drive to dinner!

• Stayed: October 2012
Khadija M, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Hotel & Resort Al Bida'a Kuwait, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2013

Dear Windy,

Thank you very much for your comment . Your feedback will be shared with the Front Office Manager and his team, to make sure they allocate quiet rooms far from the noise for all business travellers.

Thank you for staying at the Moevenpick Hotel & Resort Al Bida'a Kuwait and looking forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had Friday brunch here last month where we really enjoyed Beef Wellington perfectly cooked and barbecued lobster. Outside of these 2 the selection seemed pretty ordinary and the service and furnishings did not measure up to peers like The Regency and the Missoni.

OK but needs more consistency and to perhaps a bit of refurb

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Mr. Lewis,

Thank you very much for your comment and feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Beef Wellington and barbecued lobster. Our Executive Chef and his team will make sure that they are always available . Meanwhile, if you have any suggestions of other food items we can include please let us know.

With regards to the furniture, we are currently finalising a project to refurbish all the rooms and the main areas of the hotel .

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Moevenpick Al Bida'a in Kuwait for a few nights. Check in was speedy and courteous. I had a large, comfortable room and was greeted with a nice fruit plate and large bottle of sparkling apple juice.

For being my first stay at a Moevenpick, I was a little disappointed. The trouble was in the details. The room had a kitchen with sink, cupboards, hotplate, tea kettle, microwave, but the dishes consisted of one mug, one plate, one glass, one fork, one knife (with the fruit). There were makings for tea and coffee, but no spoon and no other dishes to use if I wanted to eat in. The mug was a strange shape and spilled or burned my hand every time.

When the room was cleaned, I had used both tea bags, but they didn't replace them. They didn't replace my washcloths/face cloths in the bath. Not everything was in working order...

I was on a business trip. There was Internet, but not wireless in the room--fortunately the concierge pointed out that I might pick up the lobby wifi if I faced my balcony because my computer has no ethernet port. This must be an increasing issue with so many people owning iPads and other tablets these days.

Then the buffet food was okay, but outrageously expensive--14 Dinar or nearly $50 for quite varied, but so-so food, even more with water and a mocktail added in. I would stick with a mocktail overlooking the water at moonrise and walk out to eat at the nearby restaurants. There was good pizza and salad at Pizza Express and surprisingly nice salads and tapas-type food at the oddly named Prime and Toast. And there's a Pinkberry for tart frozen yogurt.

I slept well and had pleasant encounters with staff. I just wish it had a little more polish.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Mrs. Heather,

Thank you very much for your feedback and we do apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us .

For the kitchen appliances and utensils, we would like to let you know that we do provide them upon request .

And regarding the WIFI, we are currently working on a project to improve the signal and will be ready very soon.

Thank you again for staying at the Moevenpick Hotel & Resort Al Bida'a Kuwait and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here on business for several weeks. I changed rooms several times hoping to find a quiet room, but to no avail. Outside the rntrance layout of the hotel is a small oval shaped car park, which runs from the entrance roundabout to the hotel reception. Traffic builds up here easily and cars are parked badly. At night, (when the locals come out), traffic jams and cars that are stuck in their parking spaces sound their car horns without any regard for the guests staying in the rooms surrounding them. If they are not sounding their horns, they are revving their overpowered engines in their expensive cars. Usually its at it's worst on Wednesday through Saturday nights between 11pm and 1am. Just when you are about to nod off asleep you'll be woken by the car horns outside your room. One fellow was right outside my door beeping his horn at 12midnight, literally meters from where I was lying down! Thats just the noises outside the room.....
Inside the room the AirCon rattles, the fridge is squeeling, and I can hear the people in the room next door using their shower/toilet/sink which is probably the most annoying of all because its right behind the wall on the other side of the bed. I switched the fridge off but had to use it a few times. I ended up having to turn it off and let the food go warm because the noise was so loud I couldn't sleep.
I tried other rooms. But for single room they are all the same. LOUD
Apart from the noise, the hotel is quite good. Breakfast is excellent and the staff are very friendly. The swimming pools are very nice. Its in close proximity to restaurants at the front of the hotel which is handy instead of relying on the hotel restaurant dining.

But its just too loud....
I didnt sleep properly, and I colleagues staying here all said the same.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with quiet AC, quiet fridge and away from the entrance road.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Crank1984
Reviewed October 2, 2012

......................right next door to Chilis and TGI Friday's!

Having spent three very pleasant nights here, I can really reccomend this hotel.
Breakfast is served from 6am and all tastes are catered for.
Rooms are comfortable and the quiet air conditioning keeps you at a pleasant temperature all night; despite the 41o/c here currently. Beds are comfortable. Free internet. balcony over-looks the beach / sea.

Located 30 mins from the airport, the hotel will arrange to collect you personally.

All staff met very faultless........well done!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room. They have lots!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I arrived very early in the morning from Dubai at about 04.00am.
Check in was very pleasant and helpful.
Got to the room and was happy to have a sea view.
Bed was comfortable but room was a little sparse with few power sockets. It was quite obvious that this is actually a family holiday hotel and I had made an error. The wifi was awful in the room although ok in the lobby - annoying.
The next day was free as my meeting was in the evening. I decided to stay by the pool. I was completely alone and although the pool is large and clean the furniture and umbrellas are of poor quality and seriously corroding.
A few more people arrived and children played but absolutely no one approached me and asked if I needed anything. I wandered down to the water's edge on the beach and the sea looked filthy and cloudy.
This is not a 5 Star hotel, it's a family 3 Star and needs to get its act together on the detail or it will remain half empty. These problems plus the law against alcohol probably mean it won't attract many foreign visitors in a Dubai way.
Finally, the room rate was over £200.00 which frankly is outrageous given what I've just written.
'Mocktails' in the bar are fine...... if you're 9 years old!
It is what it is and I would suggest that any business visitor sticks to the main names in the city.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Welcome to the funniest hotel I ever tried?
I booked a 3 bedroom, ambassador suite in this 5 stars hotel, since I am paying 800 dollars per night, I expected to have an acceptable standard, I know in Arab region (except Dubai) the star rating always fake?
The funniest think that you cannot get ac cooling for the 3 bedrooms at the same time????? Why I booked 3 beds , since I will use one only with the sitting area?
Terrible and not even 3 stars, I feel sorry for the money I will pay???
The hotel engineer suggested to close 2 air grill by news paper till the bedrooms is cool enogh????????
Very old interior finishing, maybe the last refurbishment is 15 years ago.

Room Tip: try to avoid the 2 and 3 bedrooms suites.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank maldeiri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salmiyah
The Regency Hotel Kuwait
Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait
Symphony Style Hotel Kuwait
#2 of 72 in Kuwait City
Safir Hotel and Residences Kuwait

Been to Movenpick Hotel & Resort Al Bida'a Kuwait? Share your experiences!