“Not so extreme as some describe it”

Hotel Spa Club Dead Sea
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Reviewed September 2, 2010

Olga, Moscow, Russia. Travelled together with cousin.

I write review for the first time in my life and the only reason for it - reading the reviews of other tourists. I don't understand why the hotel can be only heaven or hell. Couldn't it be just a normal hotel with something good and something bad in it?!
I stayed in Spa Club for 4 nights together with my cousin. We just wanted to relax, to step in the Dead Sea for the first time and to visit some places like Ein Gedi etc. We had all this and we liked it.
1. The place - Ein Bokek - seemed to be the best choice on Dead Sea. Ein Gedi is beautiful but the prices are inadequate - too high I mean. Other resorts are too small. Ein Bokek is an ideal choice.
2. Spa Club has an ideal position in Ein Bokek. It's just near the sea, you only have to cross a road with no serious traffic (local road). Meanwhile some of the hotels are much closer to another road with more traffic (not local but the one that goes along the Dead Sea; more cars and more noise). Some of the hotels (even with higher prices) are surrounded by waste lands with only sand and dirt. An awful view!
3. Spa Club has its own beach and it's more than convenient. You'll come to this beach in 5 minutes even if you're an invalid and are walking VERY slow. Believe me Spa Club has one of the best beaches in Ein Bokek.
4. I don't understand the problems of some of the authors of reviews with entering hotel. Yes, Spa Club and Oasis have one common entry but it's large and lighted in the dark, how could they miss it and come from the back of the hotel?! I guess some of the tourists are blind with expectations.
5. Spa Club HAS RECEPTION. It's a normal size, believe me. But just like an entry it's one common reception for 2 hotels (Spa and Oasis). The problem with it is that sometimes it's crowded and you have to wait for a long time.
6. The rooms are not small but also not big. I would describe them as normal size. You'll also find some fruits and sweets in the room and free drinking water. Not fantastic but lovely. The bath was OK, I didn't notice it was small or old. But the windows are really small and curtains cover also a part of the wall together with this small window. Maybe it's a little disappointing but not a disaster. But of course if you dream about big windows with fantastic view and a balcony - Spa Club is not for you.
7. I had only B&B so I can't tell anything about dinner. The breakfast was nice but not VERY nice. They had plenty of cheese of different sorts and this was great. But maybe they should have more salads and cakes (sweets etc). I had breakfast in 3* in Tel-Aviv which I liked more. But tastes differ. I would only suggest that you should consider 2 things: 1) they don't give meat at breakfast in Israel and if you can't stand it you shouldn't go to this country (the have separate "milk cuisine" and "meat cuisine" and that means no meat on breakfast); 2) there are not so many opportunities for dinner/supper outdoors. Just few restaurants and most of them close early (at least it was so in January). So if you're going to stay for many days you'd better pay for half-board.
8. The Spa itself - swimming pool, different baths etc - is lovely but a little bit crowded. The massage etc - rather good. But they're trying to sell you cosmetics together (better say after) with cosmetic procedures. Of course you can say "No', and maybe it would be wiser. Later at home I've found that the cosmetics they'd sold me were not good for my type of skin. I think they knew it while persuading me that it was just all right for me so they cheated me (or maybe their professional skills were not so good).
9. What I really didn't like in this hotel - the staff. They we not rude ... but I have some remarks. First of all we had problems with TV. We couldn't turn it on on the 2nd day of stay. The man came to fix it. He did it but with such a tired face! I really felt uncomfortable as though I had broken TV on purpose. And when I asked what the problem with TV was he didn't explain. So when the next day we couldn't turn TV on again we preferred not to ask for help (anyway we were leaving the next day). And when we were leaving the hotel they did much mess with our bill. Check-out took us at least 20 minutes!
10. The people staying at Spa Club are usually old or middle-age, it's true. But the Dead Sea is not a place for teenagers. For the night life and action you should go to the Red Sea or Mediterranean.
So, summing up. Spa Club is not perfect, maybe to judge strictly it's not 4* but only 3* (or 3* super). It has not a staff of my dream and the meals could have had more diversity. But altogether this hotel is good for those who want to relax in not luxurious but a really nice place.

• Stayed: January 2010
4  Thank ivolga25
PrimaHotels, Webmaster at Hotel Spa Club Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

Thank you so much for your comprehensive and detailed review. We really appreciate the criticisms and the honest about how we can make our Hotel better. I have consequently forwarded your comments to the relevant staff. Additionally, I thank you for detailing what you enjoyed about the Hotel and what you found positive about the surrounding area and our location. We hope that we can welcome you back the Spa Club soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Spa Club Dead Sea

Reviewed July 7, 2010

We were shocked by how bad this hotel was. I’ve never written a review before, but felt I had to write something after our 'experience' at the Prima Spa Club…
My boyfriend and I were excited about staying here. From the website, the hotel looked relaxing and secluded – a relatively upmarket Spa hotel.
Things didn't start well. We arrived to find the hotel has no entrance. (It nominally shares an entrance with the even worse Oasis next door, but we were directed to a cafe/entrance around the back.)
On arrival, we went to a small table to check in (there was no reception) and listened keenly, as the man behind the table told us repeatedly how lovely the hotel was. Suspicions were mounting …
Walking (in the loosest sense of the word) around the entrance, were some of the other guests. The average age was around 90. If you have your own teeth, this place might not be for you.
The hotel hadn't been decorated in years. The man led us to a shabby old lift that took us to our 'deluxe' room on the 7th floor. We’d paid extra for the ‘deluxe’ room , with a Jacuzzi. Not only that; According to one of the hotel staff we spoke to on the phone, the deluxe rooms have both a sauna inside the room, and a ‘surprise’ for guests. He was exactly half right.
The lift doors opened, revealing a threadbare carpet in the hallway. High hopes were fading fast …
The room was small, and the bathroom was old and tatty. The ‘jacuzzi’ was a dirty bath tub with a couple of jets, and an old shower head hanging off the wall. But what of the basics? Bed, Check. TV, Check.
Window? Yes, a window - why not? For those lovely Dead Sea views, and dramatic sunsets. We draw back the large silk curtain only to find it wasn’t covering a window, it was covering a wall.
The hotel DO recommend a way for guests to enjoy the views of the Judean desert: Just step out of your room and stand in the fire escape.
We’ve never done this before, but without stopping to unpack, or to look around any further, we left.
For the same price we moved to the Daniel next door, which we can definitely recommend. It’s peaceful , with great rooms, a lovely pool, and a good spa too- it’s a nice hotel. So is the Isrotel, The Crown Plaza, The Royal, The Meridien and … just about EVERY OTHER hotel you can find in Ein Bokek apart from the Spa club.
Avoid the Prima Spa Club, and your chances of having a nice holiday will increase dramatically.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lynsoir
Reviewed June 30, 2010

I went with my wife for a 24 hour break in our routine to recharge the batteries and came away planning the next time. The hotel manager at the desk set the tone with a warm attentive greeting and it was all uphill from there on.We were able to stay in the spa and pool after checkout which concluded a wonderful time. Food was tasty, room pleasant and facilities and grounds well kept.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Friendly, efficient, private parking, reasonable value for the money, good breakfast and nice spa. We liked it

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 12, 2010

We had a fantastic weekend in this hotel and we found it absolutely fair in terms of price / room / food and location. The SPA is great specially in the evenings (open till 10 P.M.) and during the day you wouldn't miss the beach just in front of hotel. A special thanks to the manager and we'll be back for sure again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2010

It is a very well hidden treasure, cozy, quiet, great tea room and spa. Nice manager at reception and therapists in the spa. Healthy choices of meals, no children, smoking or entertainment-easily cured by hotel hopping at night to find dancing. Will come back next year

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
PrimaHotels, webmaster at Hotel Spa Club Dead Sea, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2010

Dear Modiin,

Thank you so much for your positive review. Please let me know if you would like information on other Prima Hotels ( we have 8 throughout Israel). Glad you are recharged!

--Prima Hotels

Reviewed March 22, 2010

I went with my husband for a few days of relaxation, and that's exactly what it was. Better and newer looking, trendy, nicer staff and better food than all the 5 * hotels we tried. great deal. small and perfect.What aVery friendly staff from the moment you walk in, very attentive to all needs and the place is NEWLY renovated to a young, hip, classy style that makes it much more pleasant to stay. no old furniture or rugs, not the same decor. very comfortable beds- BEAUTIFUL rooms and shared areas. and the SPA- amazing Moroccan style and rge additional sitting areas are great fun and comfort. when they say "no children" they mean it, Quiet Quiet Quiet.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple