“Nice, but then...”

Isrotel Dead Sea Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The hotel is described as one of the dead-sea finest, but does not meet these expectations. The lobby is big & impressive, but the rooms are just OK, nothing to write home about. The SPA is nice, and I had a Swedish massage which was great.
From my end, the disappointment is in the dining room. Israeli hotels are well renowned for the rich choice and variety of food. This id held one notch down in this hotel, and as far as my taste goes, it wasn't very tasty. The dead sea is just over the road and the beach is very nice.
So, all in all, this is a nice hotel but can get a lot better for what they charge.

Room Tip: Avoid the low floors as people do gather on the low terrace from the lobby at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eli_Mend

Reviewed January 25, 2013

this hotel is comfortable, spacious, and very pleasant. The standard rooms are large, compared to most hotels, with room for a double bed, a couch and sitting area, a porch, a minibar and all the regular amenities. the meals are wonderful - lavish buffets, with free-flowing wine and beer for all.
the pool and spa facilities are also well laid-out and pleasant.
Problems - couldnt get a facial or massage - not enough staff. also, someone charged my hotel room for refreshments - so check your bill!
altogether, i warmly recommend for all who want a relaxing getaway in the dead sea.

Room Tip: i was in room 434 - which is the closed to the elevator. i was able to hear the musicians who playe...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We decided we wanted to get away from the Jerusalem snow storm and the Dead Sea which is 10-15 degrees Celsius is just an hour away. We decided to go to the Isrotel Dead Sea hotel, as we are big fans of the Isrotel chain and its level of service.
The service did not disappoint us, even when we voiced our dissatisfaction with something they did try to help as much as possible, even if to no avail.
We chose one of their premium “Moav” rooms and were very happy with our choice. These rooms are very comfortable and most important come with the use of their Moav business lounge between 10 AM and 8 PM. This amenity is very highly recommended. Even though breakfast last you until noon, at the lounge there are snacks and light meals all through the day with hot and cold drinks, all unlimited, you can spend the whole day in the lounge if you have nothing better to do.
Our biggest disappointment was from the fact that the only sweet water pool is out doors and it is not heated. Making it pretty much unusable and there is a limit to how much time you want to spend in salt water, as healthy as it may be.
The second problem we had was the unavailability of massages for most of the time we were there as they didn’t have sufficient staff to accommodate the large group that had arrive at the hotel and the rest of the guests.
Otherwise, we had a great and very restful time. Enjoyed the exemplary service, the luxury accommodations, the food and quiet rest.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the 8th floor, that's the floor of the Moav lounge, making use of the lounge easy and fr...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yacovk
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We were a couple plus a child. We paid over $400 per night, so we expected to find an excellent hotel. The bottom line is that this is a low-level hotel, much overpriced.
Here are our observations:
1. Low maintenance level. Broken parts, spots on the carpet, etc. The room phone did not work. They sent somebody to fix it. He claimed that he fixed it, but it did not work again. Finally they brought a new one.
2. Not enough elevators. We waited too long for the elevator, and when it arrived it was full and very crowded. Very unpleasant experience. We often used the stairs, but these are narrow and uncomfortable.
3. No electricity sockets to recharge the cell-phones during the night. You have to unplug the lamps in order to charge your phone, so you must stay in the dark.
4. Very small safe. It can accommodate your phone, but not a 10" laptop.
5. Narrow corridors all over. Only two people can walk together, and if somebody comes in front of you, you must separate.
6. Modest breakfast and dinner. You have plenty of basic food, but very little choices. Only 2 types of tea. Low quality coffee.
7. The breakfast hall is very crowded. The tables are very close such that you cannot avoid hearing the neighbors’ discussions. They decide for you where you sit, since they want to make sure that you do not take a table for 4 if you are only 3 people.
8. They have a separate breakfast hall for floors 1-5 and another one for floors 6-8. We wanted to have breakfast together with our family, which got a room in a different floor, and the staff refused to let us be together.
9. Poor service. There were no robes in the room, and we had to ask 4 times to send us the robes. Only 2 arrived, and we waited again for the third one.
10. They provided 1 small shampoo for 3 people. They sent some more, but every day we had to ask for it.
11. Only 2 cups for 3 people.
12. It is written that the tap water is not for drinking. They provide one small bottle for 3 people (free). If you want to drink more, you are charged $6 per liter!!!
13. Very expensive internet connection. Note that the cellular connection is poor in this area and the cellular internet is not effective.
14. The third bed is an opened sofa. It has a big gap ca. 50 cm from the top, such that sleeping is very-very uncomfortable.
15. Opening the door to the balcony requires a strong person. My wife could not do it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
14  Thank IdosTlv
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Pro's & Con's

Pro's:
nice lobby, nice pool, large dining room, free parking, friendly staff

Con's:
$20 wifi per day, sulfur pool charge, very slow front desk service with constant lines, rooms a bit dated but ok. Price for the value is very poor. Room smelly and any noise in the hall can be heard.

Food was good but not great. Breakfast selection a bit weak.

Overall a nice experience. I think in the Dead Sea area this is about what you can expect from the "luxury" hotels

Don't book the VIP floor if you must pay more. The business lounge is a joke and not worth $1 for even a week.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Char-lay845
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The hotel was very nice and the service by and large was very good. The food buffet are real nice and typical of a Israeli Hotel buffet. Many choices and above average fare.
My biggest concern was as I was leaving the hotel I had requested a wake up call and did not receive one. I then got a call with 5 minutes to go and complained that they had not called me as requested. This put me under pressure and I rushed to leave the hotel. I accidentally dropped my passport and $1000.00 cash that was in a special billfold in the bathroom on my way out. I got a call an hour later telling me my passport had been found. I was grateful and went back to retrieve it. Alas the money was gone. I spent an additional 2 hours making a complaint to the management and gave them our phone number, email address etc. I never heard from them again. I called but they knew I left the country and have failed miserably at follow up even though I told them who had entered the room as I was leaving. I guess after charging me over $350 per night they felt my money was a tip !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jack2act
Benben233, General Manager at Isrotel Dead Sea Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Gests,
First of all please accept our apologies.
We have located your passport away from the room after a long search,
unfortunatly there was no money inside.
Even thow we called the police with the intention to ask for help to find and eventually return your money.
The police also couldn't find the missing money.
We informed your daughter, as we could not get hold of you because of the "sandy" storm, as your daughter mentioned there was no phone lines coverage.

However, we hope to see you again at the Isrotel Dead Sea.
The Managment

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Great location on the banks of the Dead Sea. Rooms are average quality- similar to a Marriott. Would not eat here as the food is overpriced and just mediocre. Great pool. Manager is never available to help problem solve and the staff is awful when it comes to service. Interconnecting rooms are never confirmed here, so careful if you are travelling with kids and this is a requirement.

Room Tip: get one overlooking the Dead Sea
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family