“Pleasant Experience on Points!”

David Dead Sea Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Reviewed September 22, 2009

The hotel is very good compared to the other options in the Dead Sea area. Check in was a bit hectic, but to understand that people in Israel, don't truly understand the concept of waiting in a line. The room is clean, standard, could use some updating, but over all good. We used SPG points for 2 nights and could not be happier. We did not eat at the restaurant, we did have Chinese at the Crown Plaza, it was slightly expensive, but a good alternative to normal Mediterranean cuisine you become familiar with while visiting Israel. There is also an Aroma Cafe Coffee shop within walking distance that has great coffee, breakfast, sandwiches and salads.

The pool is clean and large, it was crowded with families and children as are most hotels in this area. We found a quite spot under and umbrella and forgot our worries. Didn't partake in the spa, but they have an unlimited menu of treatments. They do have a salt water pool where you can experience the water of Dead Sea without going to the beach.

We went to Masada (15min drive) and hiked to the waterfalls in En Gedi. This Le Meridian is run by an Israeli hotel company called Fattal. If you have stayed in other Le Meridian Hotels, don't expect the same quality of standard. Not a four star by any means, but I would give it a solid 3 stars all the way.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uesider

Reviewed August 28, 2009

I am so sorry I didn't listen to reviews written here. This hotel is a low level barely 3 star resort; We paid over 1000 us dollars for three nights.
Positive:
The food is really good. There is an extreme wide variety of items for every taste and palate. A bit-industrial, but far better than I ever had elsewhere in this sort of hotel.
The rooms are quite large and a have a great view of the sea and the mountains.

Negative:
Everything else.
1)Staff is amateur, obviously underpaid and rarely helpful. We asked the concierge how to get to Massada (10 minutes away) and he told us there was no way to get there besides his transport which cost 50 dollars. We ultimately found an egged bus that stops 100 yards from the hotel and goes there every half an hour for 3 dollars.
2) There is no drinkable water in the rooms!!!! You have to go with a pitcher to the 17th floor to get water to brush your teeth. For our entire stay, the faucet on the 17th floor was broken, so no drinking water unless you buy it yourself. Remember this is a hotel at 350-400 dollars a night.
3)Stay away in August. The clientele is almost 90% israeli families each with 3-10 loud, screaming kids. You hear them everywhere. In the hall, at dinner, from your balcony and certainly at the pool. Unbearable.
4) The spa is a ripoff. I spent 300 dollars on treatments. Except for the receptionists, the staff can't speak english very well(all my staff was russian). The massage, the mud wraps and the facials were all over priced and obviously done by inexperienced technicians. I wouldn't return to their spa.
5) The beach!!! Ridiculous. Broken lounge chairs, a water fountain that doesn't work, showers that were broken and...porta-toilets! I don't need to tell you the state of the porta toilets. THE BEACH IS WORSE THAN THE PUBLIC BEACHES NORTH OF EIN BOKEK!!

There are manys more negatives, but I hope you get the picture.
The last negative incident happened when we left the hotel. On our way to Tel aviv, we realised that we had left a drawer filled with clothes. very quickly, we telephoned the hotel. The receptionist transfered us to security. That's when the circus started. For 24 hours, we tried to get in touch with someone. After the third call, There was a girl in security who couldn't understand english and she (and the other security guards) actually started laughing at me on the phone and she hung up on me. I telephoned the hotel and they transferred me to "the director of security" who promised to telephone me in 10 minutes. Needless to say, no phone call, no clothes and 100 dollars in mobile phone bills. (i found out the next day, for economic reasons the staff is forbidden to contact customers with foreign phone numbers).
I want to sent this review to Fattal which runs the hotel. I will never stay at any one of their hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank superbbob
Reviewed August 22, 2009

After reading all the horrible reviews, I was very hesitant to stay at this hotel. But compared to the others in the area, it looked like the best bet and had something for everyone in our party.
I was relieved and thrilled that our experience was fun filled and satisfied our needs in every way.
The staff was as friendly and service oriented as Israelis know how to be. The room was well designed and comfortable. The mattresses on the beds were not the best, a bit soft and sagged in the middle.
The food was surprisingly delicious and very fresh and everyone found something they liked to eat at every meal. The fresh baked breakfast rolls were a real treat and we enjoyed every bite.
The best part of our visit for me was the outdoor pool filled with water from the Dead Sea. This pool is part of the Spa and no children were allowed. we found a nice corner to lounge without having to deal with everybody else's kids! and my kids had a blast at the regular pool which was large.
Although the hotel was at full capacity, i found that there was enough space and did not feel the crowds at all.
I would recommend this hotel for visitors to the Dead Sea.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Buzz82
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Hotel is an insult to Le Meridien brand. Staff were almost always arrogant and unfriendly. Let you know that you were a hassle to them. No service culture. Rooms were alright - getting dated. Pool closes very early and cannot swim after closing - not much else for kids to do. Restaurant / dining room very expensive for mediocrity.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Oaklands4
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I decided to go away for a 'long weekend' with my wife. Although the reviews in this site were mostly negative, I was thinking to myself 'how bad could a 5 star hotel be already?!' and decided to give the Meridien a chance. Was that a mistake!!

I booked the so called 'Royal Suite'; Meridien's high end suite on the top floor. The rate would be 3.000NIS (`$800) for 2 nights on FB basis. Check in went fast, the lobby is beautiful and the room is spacious and has a beautiful view to the dead sea!

The bathroom, although large and equipped with a nice 'stream bath' (aka jacuzzi), was dirty and had a strong smell of sewage!!

After settling in the room, we went downstairs for dinner. There was plenty food but ewww, it was just gross!! We met the same dry chicken throughout the weekend in diverse versions, the beef was totally rare, the soup tasted like (luke) water with some soup powder in it and the salads were recycled and unfresh throughout all the meals! I tried ordering a can of Sprite at the Shabbat meals but, unfortunately, it got to the table when we finished our desserts. The everages appeared on our bill although, at both meals, we did not touch them!!

The overall service at the hotel was very amateur, poor and unfriendly. Breakfast was OK.

The pool was crowded at anytime with overloud kids who kept bumping into us.

A geminate massage, at the rate of 850 Shekel for 60 minutes (!!), was a huge mistake as well. Although the spa is nice and invested, I was unhappy to pay over 220$ for 2 woman rubbing my back for 60 minutes! this was NOT a massage!!!

For those of you who keep Shabbat, you might reconsider your stay just because fo the fact that there is only one Shabbat elevator that, oddly enough, goes up and down floor by floor (instead of the usual when there are two elevators, for even and uneven floors, going up to the top and then stopping at every other floor). It took us on everage 20 minutes to get to our room (on the 16th floor)! Walking up the staircase was not an option due to the terrible heat in there.

At checkout, I had to wait over 15 minutes because there was only one representative available to take money, the rest were trainees who were unauthorized to take payments. The bill amounted 4.120 Shekel ($1.100). What a waste!!

Never again!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bordass
Reviewed June 20, 2009

I read a lot of reviews re: hotels at the Dead Sea before travelling to Israel and struggled to find a hotel that was approved by TripAdvisor members. But I had heard that the Le Meridien was the best of a poor bunch of hotels.. and despite the poor reviews we still stayed there.. I can tell you now - it is TERRIBLE.
The reception area is fine, clean, wide open spaces, but very 1980's design and in need of an upgrade. But we are happy with what we first see..
Our room on the other hand is not up to scratch. First off, we check in after 30 hours of travel from Australia in desparate need of a shower... only to find clumps of hair on the shower floor.. NOT OUR HAIR! Then we find the bedsheets are stained.. and a bad feeling about the hotel is already established.
Then there is the food.. by the pool you can choose between something which resembles a hot dog or deep fried (frozen) chicken and chips. No salads, no sandwiches, nothing.. we are told "we don't have it".
The dinner buffet isn't much better.. in fact its worse. Mass produced food which looks good on the buffet tastes nothing short of awful. The dining room is dirty, old, and the chairs are stained. The meal is overpriced. There is a smashed glass on the floor, and it remains there for our entire meal for guests/children to walk over.
After putting up with poor food/poor serivce for three nights we started going to other hotels to eat... Upon returning from a fantastic hotel for dinner we started to toy with the idea of moving hotels all together... and when the Le Meridien had a complete POWER FAILURE the decision was made for us. The hotel had intermitent power for about 16 hours... no lights, no aircon, no TV, no hot water, no elevators, no internet.. nothing.
We checked out the next morning and the check-in lady was not surprised or apologetic. It was just 'good bye' from them and good ridence from us.

Generally speaking this hotel is screaming for a refurb, not only structurally but also at the service level. The staff seem to have 'given up' and aren't interested, it's almost as if someone has told them it's ok to be unhelpful. Starwood should take this hotel off their books as soon as possible.

(We are now staying at the ISROTEL hotel. I will write a review on this hotel under it's name - but two words sum it up - 'Five star' - thank goodness!)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2009

To begin, the guy at the reception blocked my credit card with 1000 shekel for one week without even asking me permission. The room was already booked and paid through internet but they are keeping 1000 shekel per room as an insurance for extra (i was only staying one night). When I said I didnt agree with this method, he told me that to cancel, it will take 3 days. Should I add that the check in lasted forever?

Rooms are big and the balcony over the dead sea is beautiful. However, they are not clean. I found under the sofa an old candy wrap (maybe from the previous guest?).

Food was good but the dining room was a mess. The girl who was supposed to take our reservation didnt speak english, neither the people at the spa.

Before going to the Dead Sea, i was reading the reviews from other travellers, and i couldnt believe it would be so bad. I am sad to agree it was true, apparently the other hotels are not better. It is a real pity because the place is reallly beautiful. Luckily we just stayed one night.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple