“Beautiful, true relaxation”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Miami
“Beautiful, true relaxation”
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Again if you're used to Le Meridien, this is like coming home. The hotel is beautiful, professional staff. The beach which is across the street is gorgeous. Everything is what you'd expect from Le Meridien.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Babenoname

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 13, 2009

This is a large, gorgeous hotel with large rooms, most of which have a stunning view of the Dead Sea and surrounding area. Despite the high prices, wi-fi is not free. Be sure to only buy the minimum time you need each time, as (despite what the web site says) you will lose any unused time. Both the breakfast and dinner buffets are huge, with many choices. Unfortunately,none of them have any taste. Also, when they say check-in is 3PM, they seem to mean it. Our room was not available when we arrived at 2.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I spent one night at the hotel with my parents and twin daughters. The hotel itself is very impressive and clean but the service is appalling - I think it's the worst service I've ever come across in Israel (and that's saying something!)
My father has a Starwood membership card. The clerks couldn't be bothered with it, lied about the perks we were entitled to get for it and finally at around 9:00 PM they sent up 5 pieces of fruit and one bottle of water as our "VIP bonus".
My twin daughters were supposed to sleep with us in our room - something we had asked for when making the reservation. When we arrived, there was no extra bed. We called and asked for it. After about half an hour a man came with two beds, one pillow and one blanket. We asked for the rest of the bedding - he said he'd be right back and never returned. We called again and asked for the bedding and two extra towels. A man arrived with two pillows (which we hadn't asked for), and that's it. After a few more phone calls we got everything we needed.
Dinner was so crowded that they opened another, less impressive dining room for the overflow. We asked them if they had special food for children (In Isrotel they always have a "children's corner" with spaghetti and chicken nuggets etc.) The headwaiter told one of the waiters to find some food for our girls and you guessed it… he never returned.
Breakfast was nothing to write home about. Only one "chef" makes omelets and the queue is so long that many people just gave up after waiting and waiting. The meal is served in a large food hall. All through the meal we heard constant chirping - only to find that the room was inhabited by about eight to ten sparrows who flew about the room wildly while we dined. I'm sure the Israeli Department of Health will be happy to hear about that one.
One more thing - if you have little children - hold on to them when using the elevators. The doors close in an instant and cannot be opened again until you reach the next floor.
On a positive note, though, I must commend Hila, the girl who works in the Children's Club at the hotel. She played with our daughters, made sure they were never bored, had lots of patience and is truly an asset to the hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank rinati
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed February 25, 2009

The hotel was fully booked-the staff could not cope- from the confused Reception to the overworked waiters. and the very inefficient room service.

The food was plentiful-one does not go hungry- but very far from gourmet in quality.
We were with small children- but they had no menu for them!

As the Dead Sea and outdoor pool are too cold to swim in in February, I tried the indoor heated pool(which has Dead Sea water in it and gives the same effortless floating experience) and that was enjoyable.But the same sort of pools can be found in the other less expensive hotels of Ein Bokek village.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed January 31, 2009

I honestly do not understand the incredibly negative reviews. I've stayed at the Meridian twice; once last year with friends, and this past weekend with my husband. Both times I had an absolutely wonderful time. First of all the hotel lobby is impressive, with its high ceilings and beautiful decor. We arrived early on a Friday, at around eleven thirty, and were told that check-in was at three an our room wasn't ready, which is understandable. So we put our luggage in a side room, and went to explore a bit. We booked massages at the spa for that afternoon, where the lady was very helpful. Then we relaxed by the pool for a bit. The pool was beautiful and seemed perfectly clean and well kept contrary to what the other reviewers were saying. There was music and a bingo game going on, very cute. At around two we started getting restless, so we went to check if our rooms were ready. And they were! We got our card keys and went up to our room which was on the tenth floor. It was simple, clean, and spacious, the bed was big and comfortable, the bathroom very nice. We saw no evidence of any of the dirt, hair, disrepair, etc. that everyone else was talking about (Nor did I see any of that last year) Anyways, we relaxed for an hour and then went down for our massages. They were amazing! They didn't try to skimp on the time, even went a little bit over, and my husband and I both felt so relaxed afterward. ( They were a bit expensive, my forty minute Swedish was 240, and his hour long Indian something with hot stones was 300 but I think that's the standard in these places) Then we went up to take showers before Shabbat. (We're Shabbat observant) The hotel is very conducive for Shabbat, there is a Shabbat elevator and Shabbat keys and a place to light candles, and by the meals, the waitors provided us with a bottle of wine. Friday night dinner was really nice, people were singing the Shabbat prayers around us, there was a nice feeling of unity. The food seemed very fresh and tasted delicious, and there was a huge abundance of it, despite the huge amount of people. After the meal we hung out in the lounge area around the bar for a bit, and then feeling very sleepy after the huge meal, we turned in. Breakfast the next morning was again, fresh, plentiful, and delicious. After breakfast we walked down to the beach for a bit. The weather was beautiful, warm and breezy. The rest of the day went pretty much the same, since it was Shabbat we couldn't do very much so we relaxed, napped, and enjoyed each others company. We went to lunch at around three, and enjoyed the same standard as the other two meals. By the way, at all the meals the waitstaff was very helpful, coming to our table every few minutes to clear unwanted dishes. We checked out of the hotel at around six forty five- they allowed us late checkout because of Shabbat. Check out was fast and easy. All in all, we had a wonderful,romantic stay and though the Meridian may not be the most luxurious hotel around, it is certainly your best bet in the area, and offers nice,clean accommodations, good service, and great food.

• Liked — Very relaxing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank fayandelch
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We've started our 10 day trip to Israel with 3 nights at Dead Sea and all 3 of them we've spent in Le Meridien.

I did not expect much from this hotel from the very beginning and was not disappointed.

The food, to my taste, was good as I never eat in eastern countries anything like pasta, pizza, or similar things. they have a lot of local specialities, like humus, eggplant/aubergin salads, and other local food which is good. They always have cheeses and eggs at breakfast. But I am humus lover and can eat it in tonns while I am travelling so nothing could poison my 3 nights stay! :))))

I agree with a lot of other reviews about the service - the service everywhere starting from reception and ending with the restaurant, is not very good. But they are trying to serve you, really! I've noticed that the managers are working very hard to make the service machine running. And for 6 of us in the fully booked hotel and fully occupied restaurant they managed to find tables, clean them fast, and serve us, at the very end! Coming to the "what you get for what you've paid" issues I agree with everybody mentioning that it is trully not a 5 or may be even not a 4 star hotel, but Dead Sea air makes you very relaxed. So forget about all the bad things and just enjoy the nature of the place and especially Dead Sea!

For the SPA I highly recommend to book treatments beforehand if you need to undergo some massages or wraps. When I was there I missed 1 day as the place was fully booked! you can easily reserver the treatments via Fattal, the company managing this hotel - you can get the price list and arrange all your treatment even prior to visiting the hotel. I managed to have only 1 body wrap and checked the SPA from "inside". the rooms are very simple, it is nothing like "real spa" in some posh hotels. It is more like "medical purpose" and outdated facility, but, again, nothing could poison my mood! :))))

The spa pool with Dead Sea water was just fine, the water very nice, but too many people! and the inside pool is quite a small one. But I was travelling during winter time, when Dead Sea itself is cold. If you come in other season just try the Dead Sea - unforgettable experience!

Coming back to the hotel and recommendations: I do not know if there are any hotels at all at Dead Sea Ein Bokek in Israel to be recommended to the guests used to real 5 star treatment. My understanding is that the whole place is not a 5 star location, also considering the fact that there are no good restaurants in this small area and you are to stick to the half-board with the hotel. So if you are in Israel at Dead Sea - Le Meridien is not the worst hotel for sure! I've heard from a lot of friends that Dead Sea from Jordan side is more interesting from the hotels point of view, but I am not sure if it is polite to recommend to change the country for the vacation by the sea. We've been travelling about Israel and the first 3 nights we spent at Le Meridian Ein Bokek did not poison the rest of our stay, though the hotel itself did not add any special excitment to the trip.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank WinnerMoscow_Russia
Asia
Reviewed January 3, 2009

I know Le Meridien and so I was expecting a lot better. Boy, was I disappointed. The hotel had all the hallmarks of a plush 5-star hotel. Big triple volume porch, marble everywhere at the reception, large voids connected by staircases, multiple lifts, etc.

But I knew better than trust impressions. The first sign was not good: there weren’t enough towels in the bathroom. I had to call and yes, they delivered six towels, warm to the touch.

Then I tried to get online. First, the credit card number would not go through. I called the operator who told me to come down to reception to get a pre-paid. So I thought, ah, so that was what was wrong. At reception, I first told the lad (he looked like a trainee) that I could not get online. His first reaction: maybe you typed in the wrong credit card number. Oh, so the system is perfect but the user is an idiot.

I raised the temperature and got to see his supervisor. I told him I wanted to get online, could not do so and had come to get the prepaid card. He said: we don’t have prepaid cards. I said: your operator told me to come down. He went to the backroom and came back: the operator was wrong, we have no prepaid cards. I said: oh, you called. He said: yes, I called the operator and he was wrong.

In any service manual, an apology would be in order. But like I said: it was like we were in love—they never said sorry.
To be fair (nevertheless), my friends enjoyed the spa pools. I had my own spa bath and the bathtub was designed for relaxation indeed.

A final hilarious incident at checkout. I had wine but apparently waiter heard the wrong number and billed it to another room. Fortunately, it was the room of a friend of mine and we happened to be together at checkout. At reception, when my friend gave them his room number, they misheard him and called up my room. It felt like the Keystone Kops were running the ironically named Reception.

• Liked — The hearty breakfast
  • Disliked — Staff. At all levels, I met unhelpful staff.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)