“Not soo good”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Miami Beach, Florida
“Not soo good”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This was a family trip with kids and family friends, about 12+ people in total. When we arrived it was like a ghost town, not very busy, no-one around to ask anything. We went to the desk to start getting things sorted out and we had some issues with the room bookings which was caused by the agent booking. It took me a while to have them understand that I could not have my 3 and 6yr old in a room without an inter leading door, but eventually they saw the light.

I had high hopes for this hotel, but it failed in multiple ways:

1. The bath did not drain 100%, so there was residual water right at the bottom with what looked like toilet paper or something in the bath. It didn't look too serious so we cleaned it up and tried to clean the bath before putting the kids in.
2. Internet in the room we stayed did not work well. I was walking around the room trying to make sure I left my phone in a place so that i would get msgs and email during the night.
3. "No ketchup for breakfast". This is apparently not served with breakfast....that is a new one for me. My son wasn't too happy, but he survived.
4. You can't use a credit card for drinks, and since they didn't tell us or ask for us to register a credit card when we checked in, this lead to issues when trying to get a drink at dinner/lunch etc.
5. There was chaos for all meals. It kind of looked like the staff were overwhelmed by the number of people in the hotel. I couldn't watch people picking the meringue off the deserts, going behind the counter to get croissants and deserts off the kitchen trays, shouting at each other in the egg/omlette line ( when it was open ).
6. Dirty glasses for drinking. I stood behind a guy who took about 3-4 glasses before he found one that didn't look like it had been used.

This was the worst accommodation we had on this trip. This is a big hotel, but there never seemed to be any staff around when you needed them. My pic of the concierge desk says it all...lights are on, but no one seems to be home. I would try another hotel in this location ( there are a few ) before staying here again.

Room Tip: Wifi seemed to be good in the halls around the rooms, but a little spotty the further you got into t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 25, 2014

I have a tree greats day on Ein Boket, I realy relax at David spa & Ressort, the swimmingpool
room, water facilitis was perfect for me, but som place on the hotel need to be repair the is to
beging to be to old

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with innstant.com

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for one night and although the hotel, spa, room, and pool were nice we were extremely disappointed with the customer service or lack thereof. When we checked in we were not alerted of the checkout time, which is 11am, an hour earlier than most hotels. After asking for a late checkout, which has never been denied in any hotel we have ever stayed in, we were told we could checkout at noon, but no later because the hotel was "full." Considering the current situation in Israel and the fact that the hotel was clearly not full, we found this unacceptable. Furthermore, the individual "helping" us failed to alter our checkout time and as a result, we were locked out of our room at 11am, which caused further aggravation on what was supposed to be an enjoyable and relaxing day. The "concierge" is not a concierge, but rather a bell hop station that more often than not was void of anyone to help you with anything. The only "saving grace" if you will was that the hotel was relatively nice with a full spa and wonderful breakfast included with your stay. That being said, I wouldn't plan on eating any other meal here as it is extremely overpriced. For example, a buffet dinner that didn't include beer/wine was 180 shekel per person. Needless to say we chose to go elsewhere and had a very delicious and reasonably priced dinner at a local restaurant, the Taj Mahal. Overall, it was a nice hotel, but don't expect anything in the way of hospitality.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This property used to be a Hyatt Regency... first impressions of grand lobby and room are really good. Look more closely and the rooms, especially the bathrooms are quite dirty; same with the carpets in the the hallways. Food at breakfast and dinner buffet was good, yet the crowds, during peak season were a bit overwhelming. Bit negative, the pool closes at 6pm... for a summer resort, seems a bit early. Great location for kicking off an early morning hike up Masada or Ein Gedi.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Rehovot
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Beautiful hotel, all rooms with a sea view but due to bad maintenance it was hard to enjoy the stay.
Friendly staff that try to do their best, specially the guest service.
The restaurant was O.K , the food also.
No air conditioning in public areas.
What a waste !!!
A wasted gem in an outstanding and unique landscape.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank MichalA677
Ein Bokek, Israel
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I've been to this hotel again (last review was 2012) and lots to report. It has now changed hands once again from Fattal to David (Originally Hyatt, then Meridian, Then Fattal and now back to the same owner David - but not yet with the Hyatt brand franchise as before)

The hotel is a bit worn down with all of these purchasers who didn't care to invest for the long term needs as they where basically purchasing it for a quick return, putting out "fires" (resolving the serious problems) as opposed to smaller issues that needed on going attention.

The good news is that the original owner (who owned it as a Hyatt franchise) is now the owner once again of this property (he currently also owns the David intercontinental in Tel Aviv) and he is known to be a no nonsense operator. Many issues have improved since they re-purchased it in January of 2014 and an excellent improvement is due to the Assistant manager, Salman, who is a 1st rate manager (and well know to the Dead sea Hotels (where he has worked himself up the chain of command in some of the better hotels in the Area), resolving anything and everything brought to his attention - basically on the spot. Also Sigal (night lobby manager) was very helpfull when I needed to change my bed size (from king to 2 singles) whereby despite the late hour of my request (checked in at night) she found the maintenance people to do the job at this late hour. This was especially nice as she did not make me feel bad for the request at this late hour but rather, made me feel good by saying "I'm happy to do anything that I can to make your stay more enjoyable and proceeded to some phonecalls to find an available set of maintenance people. (I would have settled for her to tell me she'll take care of it 1st thing in the morning….)

The hotel has better rooms between the 14th and 17th floors and their 16 floor business lounge is just the perfect touch during downtime as it has a great TV, good food & pastries (changed 3 times a day), liquor, wine, coffee machine, etc and a very pleasant place to spend time with family/friends. I've had my breakfast in this quiet paradise on most days during my stay, as it's quiet and serene.

A few issues. Their Sabbath elevator is in need of a reprogramming because instead of going one way straight to the top and stopping off on every floor on the way down, (or vice versa) it takes a very long time by stopping on each floor on the way up and down...making it a bit longer for those that need use of this service. I was advised this will be taken care of shortly.

The dead Sea beach in front of hotel is under renovation and while it has excellent accessibility, it's a bit noisy at times. Despite this, the 20 minute (recommended time in the water) is well worth it. (During the day the work/noise is at a minimum as too hot for construction work).

When the hotel is full (weekends) best to reserve a spot in "Olive's" (lobby dinning room) so you don't have any wait time to be seated.

In resume. The David still has the biggest and nicest facility in the Dead Sea area and I'm hoping it will shortly be back to it's full glory because - once upon a time - it was THE hotel that all other hotels emulated based on it's professional Franchise style service. Being that it was just re-purchased In January of this year - and by a strong operator to boot - who also owns an Intercontinental, I’m confident that the vast improvement I've seen thus far will continue and be even better. My personal feeling is that this property is once again the best-cost benefit value in the area (which it wasn’t last year!).

Room Tip: Ask for a "renovated room" in floors 14 to 17 and access to the lounge if this is interest...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank PaulP2003
Paris, France
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We were thrilled heading to the Masada Opera festival where we had a unique opportunity to enjoy La Traviata, event that was so well organized and perfectly managed, that when we decided to write a review on the David hotel the service contrast was extreme!
Like long time experience travelers before arriving to the David hotel, we wanted to reserve the SPA treatments making sure that it will suits our timetable. We checked the offering on the Hotel site and following that we called the SPA reception and ordered 2 Mud wrap & Seaweed at the price of 280NIS less 10%.
We pass on the fact that the receptionist (that was very kind) didn’t speak or write any English as well the fact that same morning (we reserved 10 days before arrival) she called to change the treatment schedule… when asking for the bill, to our great surprise the cost wasn’t as published (when we confirmed our reservation) it was … 340NIS less the 10%! >20% raise!!! We shared our stupefaction with the SPA receptionist, nothing to do… she said that they just changed the prices! I’m sure that you agree with me that it’s unacceptable to accept a reservation at a certain price and bill >20% more! But we paid as we were rushing to the Opera event…
As I mentioned before, we had tickets for the Opera, we paid the Hotel for HB, making sure that we’ll arrive on time to the Opera, we left the SPA receptionist with >20% above the ordered price and rushed to the dining room… a “friendly” surprise waited for us there… the waiter didn’t let us in and claimed that we didn’t pay for such HB, try to imagine, we just left one “good” surprise at the SPA and meet the second surprise at the dining room. I had to rush (as we were tight in time) to our room, search for the Hotel HB confirmation, run to the reception and asked the lady if she can read that it’s HB… so, the gate to the dining room was open. In the dining room, Sylviane told me with all her kindness and patience “we can see that there is no management in that place” indeed, it was so messy that the dinner was another bad experience.
I thought that it’s important to inform the management about the OVER billing, messy service… so we went to the reception again, the clerk told us, sorry but it’s not the hotel fault… imagine!!! You stay at a 5* hotel that publish its SPA services and their front-end (reception) claims that it’s a subcontractor that he has no say! What a shame
Last, to be fair, we had a nice room overlooking the Dead Sea great view

Room Tip: The 17th floor facing the Dead sea was nice
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple