“a very good hotel - hope to come again!”

David Dead Sea Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Reviewed September 12, 2012

we were in the hotel last month and we discoverd a special hotel that I did not knew about it and it's not far from my home town. the cleaning and food was ok plus but maybe you should put more people to clean the pool area because the summer was with so much people that I sure that there was more then 1100 people in the hotel at that moment. the spa spa ok and the treatments was a little expensive but I want to recommend the Harmony treatment, it was special. the service was vrey good and there was a waiter named Amir and I hope that the hotel mangment will read that and award him in a proper way like I did...
the rooms was large but the public areas was a little dirty, again, the hotel was full. the service to the rooms was quick. I looked my safe accidently and the secuirty man came very quicqly and with him came the PR manger mr. Roni Tal that just wanted to make sure that everything is ok. that is not a thing that you see every day and every hotel. I met the hotel manger Rani Shitrit that also was very nice and asked me about the hotel in general. I want to thank also to the F & B manger assistent that make sure that I always will have something to eat becuse a have a little condition that becuse of it I must eat something every few hours. I love to change hotel all the time but maybe I will come back for a spa day with the Harmony treatment.

Room Tip: take the renvated rooms called mesada!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank _1010798

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Visited the this hotel with a large business group in Sept 2012. Very nice on the outside with large pool with waterslides (small ones). Just a quick walk to the Dead Sea beach. Resturants were nice and breakfast was very good. Small lounge bar in the lobby was a hit with our group. The rooms were nice but a bit drab. No writing desks but nice comfy bed. Views from windows are very nice to Jordan and the Dead Sea. Staff was helpful but not overly in your business. Would stay again.... Cheers!

Room Tip: Any room above 6th floor has great views of the Dead Sea!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank sa39561
Reviewed September 7, 2012

The meridian hotel on the dead sea is definitely in the five star category. The service is excellent and the upkeep and cleanliness on par with my anal retentive Aunt. Now that that’s been said here goes;
The good . The hotel really tries to be of service. A call for new towels took less than ten minutes. A complaint regarding an annoying loudspeaker in the lobby ( “checking 123”) which went on for almost 15 minutes was answered and rechecked. The pool is beautiful although it is best enjoyed in the early morning and late afternoon during the hot months Although there are an abundance of chairs and shades , the pool itself is almost always in the sun. Remember this is the dead sea and temperatures are often over 100 degrees ( 38 c.) during the day.
BTW the nights are not much better. Walking out of the hotel you are hit with a blast of hot dry air even in September - but in February it is a paradise.
There is great wheel chair access to almost every part of the hotel. I have been told by friends that they have a wide range of activities for kids as well. One cool thing is that channel 22 was a videocam to the kids play room . So you can relax in your room and watch your kids at the same time, unless there is something better on TV.

They also have a hit with their option of dinner in one of three restaurants . I will deal with the fare itself in a minute. There is no way you need more than half board even if you don’t put a few croissants or make a take away sandwich at breakfast. There is a full gym ( no extra cost when we were there) although I can’t figure out why the televisions are facing the back of the treadmills. There is also an indoor squash court and a large heated dead sea pool . The lounge is expansive and comfortable. We found a great place during the day to put our feet up and read. No one bothered us

The bad
My chief complaint is the design of the hotel . All the rooms in the main wing face an inner covered court. If you are unfortunate enough to be there when there is a convention or some “affair” be prepared - the sound carries into every room and the lower the floor the worse the noise level. I have to say that this visit aside from the annoying testing of microphones there was no noise at all but I have been here when I was very grateful for my mp3. ( see reccomedations)

The mediocre
Hotel food is by definition ripe for disappointment. Everything has to be made in advance and it usually sits out for a few hours under a heat lamp which does nothing improve the texture. The grill room had a wonderful complement of salads , great goulash and a tantalizing spread of grilled meat until you tried eat it. To be fair when I complained that I had eaten softer shoe leather, the chef just shook his head and told he that he would bring me something fresh as soon as he could get it off the grill. Although it was hot and not dry -to be honest I make a better steak at home. The grilled chicken breast and fillet of thigh ( pergiot) were far better. The food in the Italian restaurant while decent wasn’t balanced. The soup, salmon and salads were great unfortunately the pasta was overcooked and under spiced. Still, I highly recommend the Italian restaurant if you are looking for a decent yet lighter meal.

Recommendations:
1. Accommodations - Try to get a room on a higher floor. See if they are will to upgrade you to the 11 floor. If not ask for a room not within the court look for rooms ending in 01-12 or 31-42
2. Try the Italian dairy restaurant for diner . The ben ami red is a decent wine and the price didn’t break the bank either.
3. For breakfast the smaller restaurants are quieter and have more or less the same food. The lines to get your individually made fried eggs with whatever, and more important your espresso are far shorter. The service is also better.
4. Hotels in the dead sea are grouped into the northern section and southern section. There is a really nice promenade connecting the two which is great for walking. The meridian is the most northern hotel. It is about a kilometer or more just to reach the promenade. Ask the concierge to have you to be driven by the electric car to the southern end of this group of hotels. I think the hotel nearest to the promenade is the ISrotel ( the Daniel is also right there) and begin your walk from there.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor. See if they are will to upgrade you to the 11 floor. If not a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank elib_travels
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Very nice hotel, very large, those who do not like big hotels not recommended
Eastern food delicious, the spa amazing, we got Excellent service from Anna and Tali, the treatments some relatively expensive but worth it, very much enjoyed the room and the sea view, large rooms with large balcony, very spacious and comfortable, often was heavy pressure on the elevators, many guests were surprised the amount of many people hosted at the hotel very high occupancy
In total we received very good service and good fun,
Definitely recommend and opportunity to go back again.
Recommendation - pre order a room with sea view and high floor.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank roni s
Reviewed September 1, 2012

For a 5 star or even a 1 star it is the worst ever hotel I stayed I arrived with my husband for a relaxing stress free birthday weekend that started from hell after booking the premium suit with entrance to buisness lounge. At first no parking and no one helped with valet parking. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to park. As we came up to the room there was no air condition in the hallway we are talking summer in the dead sea . Dinner was even worse we were told that we do not need reservation for the restaurants but it was wrong. As a premium guess I was able to choose the less chaotic restaurant from the dining room. But no good no reservation in a nasty way. Go to olives the other restaurant it's quiet there. But wrong again. After waiting for about. 40 minutes in line. We were seated seriously the place looked Like a bus station people were in your face and your plate just about an inch. So after about an hour wait as we were seated the waiter already wanted to clear the table. After not able even to eat me and my husband we cleared the table and also the nasty hotel our sabbath was destroyed we were gonna check out Sunday but we couldn't stay there another moment. Don't go there. Its a continuous nightmare

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank tammy s
FattalM, Public Relations Manager at David Dead Sea Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

I thank you for choosing to stay at Le Meridien David Dead Sea Hotel.
I thank you for finding the time to share with us what was not to your full satisfaction.
Further more, we know now how we can make the prefect vacation for you.

At the hotel since it gives us the opportunity to understand and observe thorough the most important eyes – the eyes of our guests!

Your comments checked with the relevant department heads and I will be happy if you will contact me by mail – ronita@fattal.co.il

PR Manger

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Hard to know where to begin. Check-in perhaps. We arrived at 15:00 on a mid-day and it took us close to two hours to get our room and then it was not according to our request and we had to go back to checkin. We were told we would receive an SMS when the room was ready but never did. We tried to register for a dinner slot but were told they were all booked and we should just try the dining room any time between 19:00 and 21:00. When we got there, we were told the main dining room "was full" and we should use the auxiliary. The auxiliary was HORRID - like a public cafeteria. We went back to the main dining room and insisted; we were let in and it was half empty. We wanted to go to the beach and were told the shuttle ran until 19:00. We took the shuttle there at 18:00 and tried to come back at 18:45 but, to our dismay, it had stopped running at 18:30 and we had to walk back uphill in very very hot weather. I could go on -- dirty, rude help, never any towels, no robes in the spa, floors washed in the pool right onto my back while I was in the pool, filthy locker room, no locker keys and very funny signs. See attached for an example. Great pillows and air conditioning worked well in the room, at least that. Embarrassing hotel for both Starwood and for my country.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank BikeIsrael

Further more, we know now how we can make the prefect vacation for you.

It is important to notice that the signs in the hotel are to SPG standards and made so the guest can have as many as information as possible.

PR Manger

Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel used to know much better days and still retains some of its former glory: the rooms are big and have amazing views, the beds are comfortable, the bathrooms are huge and marble lined, the grounds are beautiful, and there is an eternity pool. However, everything is run down and shabby: the furniture has not been updated in decades, the carpeting in the rooms is filthy, the halls are obviously never cleaned properly. In the hall right next to our room there was a candy wrapper that stayed there for the duration of our stay. The dining hall staff is not properly trained and there is not enough of them to make sure that there are enough glasses, knives, forks etc. The staff is rude and harried. The food is OK but the dirty tables and general pandemonium in the dining room ruins all enjoyment. The bright spot is the spa: it's very clean, it has excellent treatments, salt water indoor and outdoor pool, sulphur baths etc. However, there is no protective tent over the outdoor pool, and it's way too hot. There obviously used to be a cover, as the pulleys and the tresses are still in place, but the management is obviously too cheap to replace it. It's obvious that FATTAL MANAGEMENT is cheap and not professional, they hire the cheapest workers and do not train them properly. The maintenance is inadequate and they should not be using the name Le Meredien as this reflects BADLY on the Meredien standards.

Room Tip: My room was #917, facing the sea and the beautiful eternity pool. The view alone was worth the trip...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank EvatheDiva

Further more, we know now how we can make the prefect vacation for you.

Our guest comments are the most important tool through which we learn about the current dynamics at the hotel since it gives us the opportunity to understand and observe thorough the most important eyes – the eyes of our guests!
Point to be notice that the the hotel are to SPG standards and regular inspections by STARWOOD is made all the time.

PR Manager