“Disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Watford, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The hotel looks lovely and impressive on arrival with bright colouring to the entrance area. The hotel is located at the end of a road somewhat isolated. We had booked an Executive Sun Room which included a small decked patio area, On arrival to our allocated room we could not access this, as sliding mosquito door frame was jammed and broken. On calling reception the maintenance could not fix this. This room however had an excellent view over the pool and beach area and when we were moved to another room of this type, we had NO VIEW except of the works and generator of the hotel as we were the last room in the corridor. The view included cigarette butts and empty drinks bottles strewn around just beyond the patio area. The room we were given was right at the end of a poorly decorated and dirty corridor, which was not great as my husband is disabled. They were painting the walls in odd places.The carpet to the hall way was covered in dirt and dust and not cleaned until I took the hoover which was laying around and started to clean - were upon a cleaner suddenly appeared! The bedroom was poorly cleaned. My husband became most upset when he found smashed glass beside his bed and under the bed which had not been found or cleaned away. I collected at least 5 large pieces of glass which I took to the reception, who were totally disinterested and indeed arrogant about the situation. The hotel Executive lounge did not provide the expected assortment of drinks, in fact there were just 3 types of Vodka (ok if you like vodka!) and some wine. No whiskey, brandy or anything else. We were assured this would be rectified, but this was not during out stay. After you collected your beach towel, access was down a steep set of stairs (difficult for disabled) to the pool area and beach. The lift in the Spa Room was not working at the time. We tried to access it to go back up to the room, but it was not in operation, although they said they were trying to fix it. Nearly all the staff looked very unhappy in their jobs and resentful towards the guests. The breakfasts were excellent except for the miserable faces on the staff which was pointed out to a gentleman who look like he was in charge of that area. The sulphur bath was not working but we did enjoy the experience of floating in the dead sea and were very grateful for the help and guidance of a charming Life Guard. He took out a chair for my husband and helped him carefully into the sea because the unbalanced feeling was, as he said, much more difficult for a disabled person with poor balance. There is no mud bath at this hotel, but the gift shop sells packets of the 'mud' which you apply yourself and is good fun. There is a bus service to the very small parade of shops about 1km away - but the service only allows 5 people at a time. This went on the hour and if there was not enough room on the bus, you had to wait another hour for another bus. Most inadequate. There is music in the small lounge by the bar area which is different each evening and was very entertaining. I would suggest that 2 full days at this resort is adequate and not the 4 days we had booked.

Room Tip: request a view over pool and beach (not side or end view)
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Val082

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Hebrew first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my husband and two children. After arriving home, we noticed that our credit card had been charged twice. I called the hotel, assuming this was a mistake that would be resolved quickly and easily. The person at reception couldn’t find evidence of us being charged twice, accused us of lying, and then sent me to Accounting. Accounting found the double billing and told me that Reuma Lugasy, the reception manager, would help me. Ms. Lugasy, who took a week to get back to us, told me that it was not a mistake, and that we made two separate reservations. We were adamant that we only made one reservation directly through the hotel website. Fortunately, VISA reviewed the receipts, confirmed just one booking, found evidence of fraud, and reimbursed us. Ms. Lugasy was horribly rude and offensive on the phone to me. I continue to be shocked by the treatment my husband and I received regarding what was so clearly a mistake on the part of the hotel. Ms. Lugasy gave me two phone numbers and an email address for Mali Fahima, who is apparently a senior manager to Ms. Lugasy. Ms. Fahima never returned our calls or emails. I will never stay at a Fattal hotel again, and I recommend you check your credit card bill carefully after checking out to make sure they didn’t charge you twice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
13 Thank SABAR72
NY
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

I came here with my mother to relax after an intense and stressful period at work- I debated which hotel to come to- here or the isrotel Ganim, which was also favorably rated- in the end Herods won because of its private beach and lovely sea view balconies. We very much appreciated the scale of the hotel which is smaller than many of the big industrial scale hotels that are noisy and less personal. The hotel seemed close to capacity yet it didn't feel too crowded or loud. The private beach was the nicest I've been to on the Dead Sea- sand beach, free mud and comfortable chairs and shade umbrellas- very tranquil and pleasant for a nice float. The place was well maintained and very clean with a large helpful staff, who tried to accommodate our requests and make us feel very welcome.
Great spa facility and nice treatments as well. The guests when we were there were a pretty diverse group of locals and visitors, though there were a number of families with small children the median age was older. They have live music entertainment in the lobby after dinner.
Food was abundant, fresh and tasty, though I enjoyed breakfast more than the dinner.
My mom is already planning her next visit :)

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank lambNy
Javea, Spain
Reviewed May 18, 2014

My friend took a great deal of trouble to book an appropriate room for me but when we arrived, true late at night, we were greeted with indifference, incorrect room bookings and left to find our own way to our rooms. My friend`s room flooded after emptying the bath, so after a long day she then had to change rooms and consequently didn`t get to bed until 4am. We then spent a huge portion of the next day sorting things out. The hotel is tired, so are the staff with the exception of the young lady in the lobby bar - she is lovely. The hotel doesn't need refurbishment it needs demolition. I am still here but would like to go home now.

Room Tip: Go on a cruise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Valerie D
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We stayed at the Herods Resort for 3 nights, using it as our base to visit the sites around the Dead Sea. There was ample parking immediately outside the hotel for our rental car.
With its own beach, indoor and outdoor pools and Jacuzzi, its bathing facilities are excellent. And no need to cross a road, like a lot of other hotels in the area.
Floating in the Dead Sea (which we did several times) is an experience that should not be missed and really quite weird. The water feels oily and sticks to your skin. Whatever you do, avoid splashing or touching your face, because if you get any water in your eyes it really stings. Fortunately, there are showers on the beach. There was also an ample supply of the famous Dead Sea black mud, which is supposed to be good for the skin but if not, still makes for some funny photos!
In general, the staff were helpful but not necessarily as friendly as we found elsewhere in Israel. The exception was Yousef in the restaurant, who was incredibly nice and helpful.
The buffet in the hotel was outstanding, both for breakfast and dinner. Not good for the waist line though, with a huge choice of delicious food to suit all tastes.
Although the rooms were large, they were not what I would call 5 star. They just lacked a certain classiness that you would expect from a hotel charging these prices. And it said that there was an additional charge for Wi-Fi; this turned out not to be true but I only discovered that on the last day.
I suspect that this is the best hotel on the Ein Bokek strip (especially with its direct beach access) but there is some room for improvement.

Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I would begin with the fact that the Israel Dead Sea rsort is not modern and comfortable. Many pensioners who come for having SPA treatments.

The hotel is on middle level with the Russian-speaking staff. Well.. Russian stuff is anywhere! The feeling is, that you are back to 25 years ago. The service and communication on very low level. A SPA is not a SPA itself.. just few rooms for procedures... Hotel rooms are quite old with broken doors etc (photos attached).

Food the average..no freshly squeezed juices for a breakfast..
All the parameters are very far from 5 stars.

Thank You Mr Boukaf Halga! You are the only one person in this hotel which service is on the high level! :)

Dont recommend this hotel and resort as well. Just wasting the money without anything good..
Disappointed..

6 Thank Jekaterina_Tallin
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for four nights from the 10th May 2014 and whilst there were some problems the staff did all they could to endeavour that we had a good stay. We had a sun room which was quite large and well positioned with views overlooking the hotels private beach and looking out towards Jordan. The food at the hotel was plentiful prepared well,l with a good selection. A superb outside pool with plenty of beds made a pleasant change. No problem with power sockets which enabled us to keep our phones and iPads fully charged. In the evening entertainment was provided with different artists each night performing a variety of songs.

Room Tip: If you can, I would recommend as Sun Room.