“Beware of rip-off”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Moscow, Russia
“Beware of rip-off”
Reviewed June 2, 2010

The hotel itself (i.e. facilities, rooms, etc.) is good. Well, given the price it charges, it would be a scandal if something was wrong.

However, hotel staff is very rude and unprofessional. The hotel charged me VAT in spite of my foreign passport just because I had no entry stamp in it. I was never charged VAT in Israel - neither in a hotel in Netanya where I stayed nor the rent-a-car comany where I took my car. So charging VAT to foreigners is clearly a rip-off practice of this particular hotel. When I objected, the hotel clerk answered, rudely, that this is their rule and it won't be changed. After my stay, I sent two e-mails with a refund request but none of them was even answered. Beware!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Armen S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed May 25, 2010

We stayed for the massages, which were fantastic, and cheap by US standards, 300 sheckels -- about $80, for 75 minutes (so about half the cost of the same service in the states). The hotel offers a private beach in the dead sea, which was nice.

Oddly, Ein Bokek and the surrounding area seems to cater very much to elderly Russian travelers. This hotel especially catered to them, so we felt a bit out of place. The food was okay, and breakfast was below average by Israel standards. It was a bit mass produced and tasted bland. For the price, this hotel was not the best value, but the spa was good.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Zurich
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The staff is soooo rude and unfriendly in this Hotel, it really ruins your holiday.
I have been already everywhere in this world but that Hotel is the worst I have ever been too. They have NO idea about hospitality and also the food in this hotel is very bad.
Food and nice staff makes a Hotel to a warm and welcome place not only the furniture!!
The Hotel just next to it the ISROTEL is much better. You better go there.
Overall I would say the dead sea is nice but if you are not sick and old than better go somewhere else:-)

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Romania - Bucharest
Reviewed March 21, 2010

I stayed at Daniel four nights in a double room with partial sea, breakfast included, with reservation made through booking.com
At chech-in I was asked if I want to pay in advance, is the first time such happened to me, but I paid the entire stay and I was inspired to ask for the bill. On departure, the reception told me that the payment of the first night accommodation has been kept from my credit card, so I have to pay for the rest of three nights ??? I could not believe it and when I wanted to show them the bill, they told me is no need, they finally found my payment into computer - unbelievable!!!
Another experience happened in the first evening when I wanted to serve dinner. At the restaurant entry I said I have not included the dinner and I want to pay extra. The boy said is OK and I have to pay 41 USD per person. I answered him that on the Internet is written as 30 USD per person, he verified and finally I paid "only" 30 USD per person.
For a 5-star hotel, I think these 2 events as unacceptable and I appreciate the service at reception and at the restaurant is far away for the 5 star standard.
In the room price we had free access to the pool with heated sea water (a part of the same pool is inside, other part outside the building), steam and dry sauna, jacuzzi, swimming pool water with sulfur and normal water, in fact, these features are the strong point of the hotel. SPA center, various treatments are possible with fee, but charges are high enough (you can check on the hotel page). For going to the beach, is down from the hotel and crosses the main road, there is a beach only with chairs and a water tap for washing. The sea water is incredibly salty, any small wound or cut burn instantly.
Room 619 was very spacious with large double bed, LCD TV, a small balcony with partial sea view. Who wants room with full sea must request a higher floor, if not, the view is obstructed by palm trees in front of the hotel.
Both breakfast and dinner buffet were very generous, there were actually all sorts of varieties of food, from this point of view is a plus. But the dining room is very large and very busy which creates a discomfort.
In conclusion, the hotel may still be considered of 5 stars Middle East standard but has an expensive price. Room, meals and SPA are high, but the service at reception and at the restaurant is trashy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
12 Thank CristianBordei
Montpelier
Reviewed March 7, 2010

we were on a tour and stopped for a day at this hotel (it's a LONG ride to get there). while the pools (there is a huge dead sea indoor/outdoor mineral pool, a sulfur pool, a cold water pool with waterfall, and a regular pool), were the swims of a lifetime, we would have enjoyed it much more if they didn't close the area so early. Everyone had to be out by 7:00PM and the area did not open the next day until 8:00AM. How nice it would have been to relax the evening away after such a long trip. the hotel is located across the street from the Dead Sea, so we were floating by 7:30AM in order to get back to the hotel when the pools opened. The spa was very crowded, and a bit pricey, so we avoided that. The dining belies the serenity of the pool area. Complete noise and chaos; a free for all. Food was OK. Like being at camp, not in a beautiful hotel. The rooms were large and well appointed.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank vrmtldy
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Reviewed March 5, 2010

This is a beautiful hotel with many amenities. The lounge offers live entertainment. There is also a bar and a fine restaurant.

The staff was somewhat brusque. For example, the restaurant hostess greeted us with "room number," no welcome and no "please" attached. Restaurant staff busing tables did not yield to diners -- not only an annoyance, but an accident waiting to happen. The only warm and friendly staff we found were in the gift shop. The uniformity of the staff attitude and behavior strongly suggested that management is not requiring staff to render service at the same very high level as the hotel's physical attributes.

But the hotel has a wonderful spa, a huge pool filled with Dead Sea mineral water, and is across the street from public and private beaches on the Dead Sea. Some rooms have a view of the highway, not the sea.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Israel
Reviewed December 4, 2009

Claims to being a five star hotel but I would rate it three and a half at best.
We stayed there with our extended family for a weekend:
Accommodation: Room is simple and clean.
Dining: Food is plentiful but simple - don't go there if you're looking for a gourmet meal. Cold drinks and beer and included in the price of your stay. (In many hotels in Israel, you need to pay extra). There were too many flies in the dining room (to which the waiter said, "What do you want? You're in nature now.") And one morning, a group of sparrows waited for us behind our table in the dining room.

Children: This is NOT a hotel to bring your children to. There is a kid's club but it's open a few hours a day at best. They have nothing there except some paper and crayons and a small pool with plastic balls. It is NOT a safe environment for kids. My toddler banged her head on the corner of a computer table which shouldn't have been there to begin with. When I told the club worker she said, "Well, the door to that room had been opened by mistake by one of the other guests." (so why didn't she bother closing it?). (If you're looking for hotels with decent Kid's clubs, try Fattal of Isrotel chains). There is a bowling hall for older patrons, for which guests need to pay separately.

Pool: Large and clean looking. Did not go in (too cold in November)

Service: VERY unprofessional. None of the workers know anything. Ask them a question and usually the answer will be "no" or "I don't know" or "I have no idea".

In short, I'm sure there are better hotels out there.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family