“I would like to rate the hotel as excellent.”
Review of Isrotel Ganim

Isrotel Ganim
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Ein Bokek
Kefár Saba, HaMerkaz, Israel
“I would like to rate the hotel as excellent.”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

It was in June 2012, I was staying with a group of tourists from Germany. It was exactly the tine of the Opera Carmen. The hotel was clean, there was a very good atmosphere. The food was good and all the facilities were great. As I also had my birthday while staying I got fruit and wine with a greeting card.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Rina R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel had a major facelift, but the some of the scars still remain visible.
The most impressive job they did was around the pool area outside as they put nice wooden panels all around the pool and added grass all around the grounds making it look very chique. Now it is possible to be close to the pool action or chose a more quiet spot on the outer lawn. Unfortunately the temperature of the pool water is way too warm to swim comfortably in. In the other Isrotel a few hotels down the road which I visited, the water temperature is cooler more refeshing.
The rooms were also renovated with more modern furniture, flat screen televisions and new carpeting.
The thing they didn't do as well was the bathroom. There are no hooks to hang wet towels on, but the most disappointing thing they did was to rip out the bathtubs and replace them with showers! I don't care how sleek the glass looks. A shower does not replace the comfort of a tub. I don't understand this often modern trend to rip out tubs ( tubs that also had excellent showers) to replace them with only showers.
The quality of the food seemed of have gotten slightly worse compared to last year, except for the breakfast which was the most improved. They added a cappuccino and espresso maker which a friendly server personally makes for you.
The meat was very disappointing.: often very tough and fatty or sinewy. The vegetables were too oily and the salads a bit too spicy. Excellent fresh variety of breads. Nothing to write home about over the fish which was almost always pan fried or coated with batter and almost always a white fish... I would have liked some salmon or trout.
The best desserts to my taste were the morning ones: delicious warm apple strudel, cheese cakes. The evening ones, having to be kosher and not have dairy ingredients were less interesting to me except for the chocolate, coconut brownies they had a few times.

The staff were were very friendly and accomodating compared to the previous year. I think they must have taken a seminar on customer relations.

One thing that I was really disgusted with was, however, the fact that they decided to charge for wifi this year. 29 shekels an hour or 80 shekels a day!! And they wouldn't give it to our group at a reduced rate either because this "highway robbery" company called SmartNet took over their wifi.
Solution: I borrowed a net stick from a friend and when the wifi connection was not working I went next door to the large Royal Rimonim hotel lobby and "borrowed" their free wifi. Nobody seemed to care that I was not a hotel guest..

Other things:
The elevators were not reliable. Being scared of elevators I always used the stairs, but members of our group got stuck in the middle elevator at least twice for over 30 minutes and there were even a few cases of people getting stuck in the outside ones for 7-10 minutes. When we got there, the middle elevators was being repaired for days, but it still managed to get stuck after that!

Noise from continued renovations woke some of our group up continually at 8 am, so some of them moved to a higher floor.
Also the room cards often did not work even after getting them re-programmed twice.
On two occasions, workers knocked at our door without waiting for an answer and opened it while we were inside: one time to improve the A/C and another time for something I didn't understand. Seemed odd..
The lobby is really elegantly renovated with comfy lounge chairs with relaxing decor.
The roof top solarium is kind of shabby and has a weird smell inside where there is free coffe, milk and juice.
I look forward to seeing what this hotel will look like once all the renovations are complete.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Shira S
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrives at this hotel especially after reading some of the reviews from this past March. The hotel is almost finished renovating and if you book a room on the 5 th to 8 th floors you should be fine and away from the noise of the work still going on on lower floors. The 4 th floor is renewed also, but we had friends staying on that floor and every morning They are woken up at 8 in the morning by the renovation work that is still going on below that level somewhere.

The new hotel is very modern with an airy open lobby that is joined by a small bar and by a resting area that overlooks the Dead Sea and their Olympic size swimming pool. The staff are all very courteous. I have been here since April 28 th and will depart on June 13. I am very happy the hotel has been remodeled as I think I would have left otherwise. They also have an indoor salt pool and a couple of jacuzzis and a fitness and kiddies playroom.

The one thing I find not so good is the restaurant. The food is a buffet style that is usually the same with a few changes everyday. The meat dishes are really bad. I think the beef is put through a washing machine before it is cooked. Very tough. I usually head for the fresh veggies.

I have checked out eight of the hotels here as there is nothing much to do here. (I am caring for my grandchild while here parents sing at Masada in Carmen). I would say I would rank it second to the Isrotel Dead Sea which is definitely a five star hotel. I would say the Ganim is well on its way to being a four star hotel. I believe good service and cleanliness are two of their top priorities.

Compared to the beautiful hotels in Las Vegas, the price for this hotel for two weeks was staggering to me but then, this is the Middle East and also not a huge city at the Dead Sea so I suppose the $2800 for 13 days in a modern, air conditioned,clean hotel was worth it once.

Room Tip: Choose a room above the fourth floor at least until the reno is completed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed May 30, 2012

We were hesitant to stay at this hotel after seeing the previous reviews. We were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel has almost completed renovations. The rooms are new, well equipped and very comfortable. The pool is excellent and the beach is a short walk from the hotel. Dinner was very good. It certainly deserves the 4 star rating. The only criticism is the slow elevator.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Ganim for almost two weeks during the Dead Sea Festival which we were part of as a group, so I cannot say anything about the cost as it was covered by our company. During the time it was to undergo some renovations as it was quite old and reminiscent of the ex-communist era style with dated furniture in the rooms.
The pool is nice and big, but not fancy. You can easily do you laps there. On the rooftop there is a nudist solarium with separated sections for men and women.
The food is quite good, but becomes predictable after a few days. One strange thing is that they don't have coffee or tea after the lunch and dinner meals even though there are tons of desserts.
The reason for this as I found out later, is because the coffee and tea up cups used are "dairy" cups only and since meat is offered at lunch and dinner it is not kosher to use these cups for tea and coffee. I found this extremely frustrating as I always have dessert with tea or coffee. The only solution to this is to ask for a paper cup at the bar and then bring a tea-bag down from your room and ask for hot water.....this is kosher Israel for you and all hotels, by law, have to abide by dietary kosher laws.
The staff are polite, but could use a tips on better customer service...kind of old soviet-era style.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Please, pay attention when booking. There are 2 isrotel hotels. This one it is called "Isrotel Ganim Hotel Dead Sea" and it is known as a 4-stars-hotels but in my opinion, it is a poor-2-stars-hotel (please, no offense to 2-stars-hotels)
Type of room: Studio (2 Adults + 2 Children)
Opinion:
The room was dirty (in particular the bathrooms, with a lot of fungus!).
Besides, the equipement is very old. For example, the TV and the bed covers... they look like a donation of my grand-mother!
The breakfast is poor -employees are unpolite.
I mean, the standard room costs 207 dolars and it is nothing to do with a 4 stars hotel. It is too expensive!.
Further more, the employees at the reception are also unpolite and do not have any idea how to assist a guest.
On the other hand, the spa has 2 heated water pools of the Dead Sea. That is great. But it is not the only spa which has this kind of pool with dead sea water. Anyway, it is worth pay 1 day spa (attention: it closes at 18h30)
I didn't go to their privat beach of the dead sea. It was far away.
Had I known, I would rather have stayed at another hotel. It was a waste of money.
In conclusion, with my experience in hotels, I am able to say that this one, it is a poor-2-stars with a very good spa (no offense to 2-stars-hotels).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Luli2011
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2012

First of all, as already stressed a couple of times, there are two Isrotels, and the Isrotel Ganim is the older one. I stayed (unfortunately) in the Ganim and not the newer one, which is some 100m further down the road. Someone from Tripadvisor should open up an account for the nicer Isrotel Hotel. However, since the headline says "Isrotel Ganim" it deserves the bad rating as follows:

Out of priciple, I deduct two stars for every hotel that has the audacity to charge extra for Internet (in this case a ridicolous 25 NIS for one hour) just to screw up the tripadvisor rating and hopefully stop this postmodern version of "highway robbery" eventually. In the year 2012 I do not wan't to pay extra for commodities like Internet or tap water, especially considering a step price of 6600 NIS per night (low season). Since this Hotel is 2 to max 3 stars before applying special Internet downgrade, it is 1 star after deduction.

Why is that?

- rooms are somewhere from the 90s and haven't seen renovation since then. Mould in the shower, smelly curtains, ugly carpets etc.
- SPA area is smelly and cramped with obese and rude peasants from a former communist empire (the very unpleasant kind of people this former empire exports, lately also to Israel).

One general comment on Ein Bokek. Everywhere else in Israel I experienced the Israeli as well-mannered, friendly and helpful, ah and excellent command of the Englisch language not to forget. However, in Ein Bokek it is rather different. Maybe manners and communication skills are tailored to the target tourist group here.

Make sure that you get the Isrotel (http://www.isrotel.com/isrotel_dead_sea/) and not the Ganim if you wan't to spend a nigh here.

What else, try the Taj Mahal for Dinner. Nice atmosphere and good food.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple