“Not impressed at all”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen Villager Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We went to this location via the photo's on line, thought that a b and b was to include breakfast, we were served what is a continental breakfast, we felt the rooms were way over priced for what we received, we stayed in room 403 and the bed was real bad, the main supports under the bed were not their and we found ourselves sleeping in a huge hole in the middle. The front porch is in need of repairs, the side porch is in need of repairs and the list goes on. A great deal of personal photo's around the home, not real inviting at all.

According to the rules of a b and b the property is to be owner operated and there is suppose to be a hot breakfast served daily, not the same items bagels and bread that were served several days earlier. They stated fresh coffee each morning if you wanted to make it yourself, no fresh fruit, and the list continues on.

All of the guests that were at this location that weekend, were very disappointed in what was called a b and b.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank tking45

Reviewed September 7, 2010

I booked a room for my girlfriend and myself for Saturday night of the Labor Day long weekend. The reservation was made through the motel's OWN WEBSITE on Thursday afternoon (2 days before the staying night). On the webpage it requires quite complete information, such as name, address, phone number, credit card number, dates of stay, number of guests ...etc, and states that I will get a replay from the email address "glvillmt@aol.com". I did receive a RESERVATION CONFIRMATION from the stated email address after I made the reservation, however the replied email stated all the correct information I just filled out except for that they change the guest number from 2 to 5. I noticed it right away and replied immediately that the correct guest number is 2, and also asked for the front desk number in case we arrive late and need to call them in advance. Again, very soon I got a reply from the above email address however with only their phone number and without any mention of the guest number I requested to change. I replied them again to thank them and asked to change the guest number. One hour later my girlfriend came back from her work and we left for the trip. On Saturday when we arrived at the motel in the late evening, the front desk seemed to be prepared and soon grabbed a copy of their sent email as a proof that they sent me a third email to reject the reservation. The reason was that they cannot see how we can fit 5 people in one room. I explained to her and back and forth emails and also show her right away that it is only my girlfriend and myself for the stay. The front desk said anyhow they did not have any room left for the night. I was not happy at this point. I find their behavior filthy.First, if they decide to reject the reservation after TWO emails back and forth but no reply from the third email, they should have called me. They should have anticipated that people may not have gotten their email of rejection and do not know that they don't have a place to stay for the night. Second, it was stated in both of my emails to correct their system mistake in making guest number as 5. They totally avoid it and used the guest number as an excuse to reject the reservation. Nonetheless, a guest waiting behind to check in immediately second that he got the same reply stating for 5 people for his reservation. I knew it was a trick and was ready to argue with them. My girlfriend stopped me and reminded me that we would run out of time looking for another place to stay if we keep on wasting time with them. We figured that they must received another reservation through phone or in person with a room price higher than that of web reservation. They simply reject an already-made reservation with an email without caring about that people can arrive there not knowing they have no place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeeWhyZen
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We stayed in a room in the Manor, which is similar to a bed and breakfast

I will start with the positive: bed was VERY comfortable (I have a bad back, so bed comfort is essential for me)

the negatives: very dimly lit throughout the house; the breakfast for the manor rooms was bagels, Pop-tarts, cold cereal, coffee, tea, bananas, and juices; the bathroom lacked privacy (there was a cold air vent right next to the toilet...the bed was on the other side of the wall!); to get to the pool, you have to walk down the street and through a parking lot (after stopping at the office to ask them to unlock it!); and there were kinda-creepy pseudo-family pictures all over the place. There are decorative lights in the trees, on the fence, and on the porch, but only about half of them work. The ads suggest fabulous porches, but the front porch is fairly small, and the side porch is tiny and has a broken porch swing.

we will not be repeat customers

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darlegal
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Visiting relatives in area. Stayed in the one-story building (with indoor pool) two nights after Christmas. We were the only guests that we were aware of. "Hosts friendly & courteous. Our room reasonably clean but was initially cold but heated up OK. Rest of building was COLD (about 60 degrees F.) Pool was closed (cover on water) This was not mentioned when we made reservations.
The place was overpriced at $95.00 dollars plus tax per night. Will look for another place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We stayed in the Hotel section of the property in a King Bed Suite. The room was clean and spacious. The Staff were very friendly and careful to keep us updated when there was maintenance to be done anywhere in the building that could possibly affect our stay. WiFi was reliable and there was no extra charge. Parking was never a problem.

It is the Motel portion of the property that is right on the street so I definitely recommend paying a little more to stay in the Hotel. As with all hotels the walls were a little thin, but we were running the A/C our entire visit and it drowned out nearly all outside noise.

The hotel was perfectly situated in the heart of Watkins Glen, we could walk to numerous restaurants, shops, parks, the fishing pier, and the Glen Gorge.

If you are looking for a comfortable, affordable place to stay on the south end of Seneca Lake, I definitely recommend the Watkins Glen Villager Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allie_Zoe
Reviewed June 30, 2010

At first I thought my experience with this hotel would be a good one...I wanted to switch the days of my stay slightly and they accommodated, where they could have been difficult about it, since it was a week prior. My satisfaction stops there.
I received a call 3 days before I was scheduled to go saying my credit card would not go through for the *entire* amount of the stay. What?? Rather than just using the credit card to hold the room, like every other place in the world, they wanted to run it for the entire amount then and there...before I even set foot in the place. I was planning on using cash to pay, and the credit card was just supposed to hold my room anyways...and I was told that if I didn't something to get them the full amount, I would get charged one night's stay anyways because it would be just like a cancellation...again, what???
Since I was paying cash, I decided to give them my debit card and asked them to run it on my payday. They agreed to do so. And come to find out, they ran my credit card again, not my debit card. You've got to be kidding me. So now, I till have a pending charge on my credit card, even though I have paid fully using my debit card.
Incompetence of the staff aside, the room was the smallest I have ever been in. It barely fit a double bed and nightstand. It appeared clean, until I bent over to pick up a piece of paper and found a family of spiders living under the sink, which obviously had not been disturbed for quite some time.
The shower took forever to get warm (not hot, even), and the toilet only flushed completely when it felt like it. The pool is in sad shape, and I don't know what they use in it, but I felt like I had a layer of slime all over me when i was in it. It was disgusting.
I would not recommend anyone to stay there...spend a little bit more and stay at one of the better hotels. For the price I paid, this was a joke.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank infernoglass
Reviewed June 5, 2010

traveling for fun and doing some wine tours-we had larger group (brought grandparents to watch the kids while we visited wineries and such). staff very accommadating for large extended family traveling together. we were in bed and breakfast--rooms 401 and 404. one room is more like traditional b and b in europe and did not have a bathroom directly attached to it--not a prob for us, as we travel in europe frequently. staff told us about it and asked if it was ok--they have rooms w/ baths directly attached if you need such--404 is one such room. THis might bother some people so ask if you are in the b and b. Otherwise, very nice decor. Kids loved the indoor pool--spent loads of time there. some spotting wifi in the b and b, but to be honest, we were in the pool area so much and wifi is great there. very central location to for getting to the winerys and around town. will stay again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family