“It all depends on the person”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen Villager Motel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
kingston,on
“It all depends on the person”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Ok, where do I even start! We were 2 adult couples, and had booked 2 rooms for 2 nights. We wanted to stay in the village so we could walk to restaurants. I had thought that both rooms were in the manor but it turned out that one was in the manor and the other was in the “hotel”. You must read the description of this “hotel” closely :
“The two story building on 4th Street is called the Motel. Behind the motel is a one story building that we call the Hotel where our indoor pool and sundeck are located. Located on the same property is a Victorian Mansion called The Glen Manor Guest House with its spacious lawns and Historic Carriage House.”
The motel is on the main drag going through the town (4th Street) and the rooms are right along the sidewalk very close to the road. There are motel rooms on the opposite side as well, facing the parking lot. The “hotel” I guess is called a hotel because the rooms are accessible from an indoor hallway. The manor is a lovely large while house, separate from the motel and hotel, with a laundromat between the properties.
The couple we were with (my son and his wife) were booked in the manor and we were in the hotel. They were not impressed with either of the rooms and couldn’t believe that the owners could charge $150-$160.My daughter-in-law felt the manor was eerie and they thought the motel room had a funny odor. (When they spoke to the staff at the office about the accommodations there was quite a falling out. He was a discontent customer but what he was saying seemed to insult some of the staff. He just wanted to leave and the staff at that point wanted him to leave, but after he paid them the $160 deposit..That didn’t go over too well and in the end we switched rooms) We willingly took the room in the manor as my husband and I thought it was exactly was we had expected and the younger couple took the room at the “hotel”. We really liked the master bedroom in the manor. The bed was clean and comfortable. The shower stall is not very big so if you are a “big” person, you may have a problem getting into it. We enjoyed sitting out on the porch with a glass of wine in the evening (but if you’re looking for a quiet spot, this is not the place as it’s on the main thoroughfare through the village). We didn’t eat breakfast in the morning (really only had breads, cereals, and granola bars), but did go to Savard’s one morning and had a huge breakfast there. If you’re looking for a place to stay in the village, well, read the information closely about the accommodations. And it appears that what one person thinks is an acceptable room, definitely doesn’t work for another. I used the rating of average based on what to expect in Watkins Glen.

Room Tip: choose a room in the manor with a bathroom
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pencilcase

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Williamsport, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I was contacted 5 days before my stay and told without full payment they were canceling our reservations. They also decided to throw in a non smoking refundable deposit of $150 per person. I was never advised of this fee when I had made reservations 2 months earlier, also received an email confirmation of my reservations that never listed this fee!! I called several other hotels in the area and had never heard of such a thing. The way the receptionist spoke to me and treated me was worse than I had ever been spoken to!!! Very bad etiquette for a hotel that has 73 bad reviews already!!! I also contacted and reported this business to the BBB!!!! Good luck future travelers!!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Start114
AJFranzese, Owner at Watkins Glen Villager Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
We regret that the reviewer was dissatisfied with her reservation. I handled this isssue with the reviewer personally - I can,therefore, assure that it was handled professionally and with courtesy. The reviewer contacted us in June to reserve four rooms for mid-August. We explained to her in detail our policy requiring a credit card to secure the reservation. Our policy to reserve requires all guests to provde a valid credit card with which to guarantee their rooms. Unfortunately, the reviewer was unwilling and/or unable to do so. As a courtesy, we offered to hold her reservation up until12pm on the day of her anticipated arrival without a deposit. She originally agreed that would be acceptable. The reviewer then called back later that day to ultimatel cancel the reservation. She made the decision to cancel the reservation - not the other way around. In fact, under the circumstances, we were willing to amend our reservation requirement to accomodate her. We are truly disappointed that she has chosen to leave a negative review.

Travelers are raving about these Watkins Glen hotels

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Overall I was very satisfied with this hotel. It was not my first choice of hotel/ motel to book in the area as it was NASCAR race weekend, and almost everything else in the area was completely booked. I was a little hesitant in booking it but since I already had tickets to the race, I booked it even after reading some of the negative reviews.

Looks wise from the outside, this is not the prettiest hotels, or newest, or fanciest, but I was very surprised by the pleasant accommodations. We stayed in the large room in the HOTEL section of the motel with 2 Queen Size beds. We have 3 small kids so this was perfect. There was a little work desk, and a small table with plenty of chairs, and a sofa there as well, so plenty of seating. There was also a 40+ inch flat screen TV which was a nice touch.

The rooms/ hotel is a bit older but you can tell the staff/ owners take pride in keeping it clean. The room was kept very clean. It was also a very quiet room, you can hear guests a bit when they walk down the hall to go to the swimming pool etc, but in general there was very few (if any) disruptions at night time.

The bathroom was very plain, but clean, with plenty of counter space.

The best part really for me was that everything was close by. Watkins Glen State Park, and the Gorge were minutes away, the main street w/ shops/ restaurants/ ice cream parlors were walking distance away, as well as a Walmart/ drug store/ Dunkin Donuts.

The racetrack was also about 10 minutes away, so the PERFECT location for going to the races/ and seeing all that Watkins Glen area has to offer... Stay in room 307! If your not looking for a fancy place/ close to all the amenites, close to attractions and race track this was pretty much perfect place! The front desk person was also very friendly and nice!

Room Tip: Room 307! Hotel section. Quiet room, close to the pool, and away from the motel! Large room with...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

This motel was so awful that it was borderline funny. We did not make a reservation because they won't make advance reservations of less than 2 nights (we were only in town for one night), so when we arrived we were charged an inflated price for a motel room (vs the hotel or manor). I believe that it was about $135, though I will double check with the person who paid to make sure. My girlfriend told me that when she asked for a late checkout, the clerk acted annoyed, though she did give us a slightly later checkout. They do not accept AAA (what a surprise!!!).

After entering the room , we noticed that the door was not secure. It looked like somebody had previously kicked in the door, and had been "fixed" by somebody with no experience who used the cheapest lock they could find. There was pubic hair on the seat of the toilet. We went back down and requested another room, which they did do. We ended up staying the night in the second room, but that does not mean that it was fine. The phone was sticky. The TV was tiny, and looked like it had been around for about 20 years. There was no fan in the tiny bathroom, which meant that it was completely filled with steam from a short shower. One of the beds had some sort of plastic slip cover over it, and the mattresses were of poor quality. And aesthetically, the room was just plain ugly.

All of this was unpleasant, though I might have at least given them 2 stars just because it wasn't unbearable. But then the morning came. Evidently there had been a group of bikers staying there, and at about 8:30 AM they all left their rooms. They all started up their bikes. I am not sure how many there were, but there had to have been a bare minimum of 20 motorcycles, maybe even 40 or more. It was incredibly loud. So loud that my girlfriend and I had to shout just to talk to one another. But I figured I would just grin and bear it for a minute or two and then go back to sleep when they left. But they didn't leave. They just sat in the parking lot with their bikes roaring away. I have no idea why, but it is needless to say that it was incredibly annoying. Finally, after about 20 minutes of that, they left. I tried to forget about it and just go back to sleep. About 15 minutes later, as I was drifting off, the bikers came back. Once again they just sat in the parking lot with their bikes on. After about 10-15 minutes of this, I called down to the front desk. Without recounting the whole conversation, the clerk told me that the bikers had gone to breakfast and come back and that they would leave soon. No apology, no concern for our welfare, no promise to take care of it, only defense of the bikers. After a long, fairly ridiculous conversation with her, I told her that if she wasn't going to take care of it, then I would have to call the police. She hung up the phone on me. I wanted to wait a little bit longer before taking that action, and thankfully the bikers did finally leave about 5 minutes later, so I didn't bother calling the cops, as I just wanted to get out of there. The only thing I can guess is that there is a pretty big racing culture in and around Watkins Glen as there is a race track nearby, and that the motel staff first and foremost cater to the whims of the race crowd. Not that that makes it acceptable, but there must be some explanation for the quality of the rooms and the behavior of the staff, because if not I can't imagine they would still be in business.

The staff was not necessarily malicious, but they did seem to be fairly clueless, unequipped with the social graces that one should have to work in the hospitality industry, and, when questioned, could be quite defensive.

So if you are looking to pay high prices to stay in an ugly, slightly disturbing room and be treated terribly, I would recommend The Villager. But for the rest of us who are not masochists, stay far away.

Note: Having said all that, I will say that they had free wi-fi (though at their room rates it didn't really feel free), and that prior to the biker incident, it was quiet. Unfortunately the bad vastly outweighed the good

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank APB100
AJFranzese, Owner at Watkins Glen Villager Motel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Our rooms are inspected daily by our managers to insure that our guests are pleased. We do take 1 night reservations but on summer weekends and special weekends there is minimum to reserve. Our motel rates are posted on our website and are the same for everyone. All guests are welcome to check their rooms. We are a family run buisness and we love to cater to all our guests. Families, vacationers, bikers, racers, etc. are all welcome. All our mattresses are only 2 years old and we use mattress covers not plastic.. Our doors have all corbin lockes which are about $400 each.They lock automatically when a guest leaves their room to ensure security. Tv's are 25 inches up to 46 inches depending on which of our 3 buildings you reserve.. This reviewer never complained to management about any thing being wrong with his room.In fact, we had only 5 guests on motorcylces not 40 that day.According to our clerk, they started their cycles and were gone before the reviewer could slam his phone down. We apologize for what noise their motors might have made but it was 9:30am. The reviewer was not at all in a hurry to leave as he himself said his friend asked for a late checkout and our clerk gave him a 2 pm checkout.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Glen Manor Bed and Breakfast is located in a grand home. The king bed was very comfortable and the room was clean and welcoming. There are private bathrooms for each room located down the hall. Fortunately plushy clean robes are provided to help get to and from the bathroom.

Bathrooms are small, clean and functional. Appreciate the no smoking and no pets rule due to breathing related issues.

The Glen Manor B and B does not allow children. I felt safe and comfortable during our stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This place was perfectly acceptable but not terrible in any way, as some have stated. We stayed in the hotel building where the pool is located. The room was clean and well kept. We had no problems and enjoyed the in town location. Being a small town, everything was within walking distance. At a glance, I would not want to stay in the street-side motel rooms. They were right on a busy street and were probably noisy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed in the hotel section with the indoor pool. We were in Watkins Glen for a family wedding. We had other family members stay at this location also. It was convenient to everything. The price was a little high but it was a great value for the area. The wedding was at the new hotel in town but we refused to pay those prices and this place was just as nice. It may not be as updated as the new hotel but the bed was comfortable, the shower was great, the staff was more than accommodating, house keeping did a nice job cleaning and the location was centrally located within walking distance of both the church and reception. The room did not smell at all as some reviews have said. We were there on a race weekend and noise was not a problem at all. I was very concerned when I read many of the reviews but it turned out that we had a great stay. The only thing that we did not like was that there is no coffee pot in the room. Coffee is offered in the office but that is not convenient if you're up and want coffee before the office opens. I don't think it's too much to ask for a coffee pot in the room. That's the reason I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5. A coffee pot doesn't cost much and it would help make guests happy. Despite this I would recommend this location and even stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family