“Decent campground; questionable value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen-Corning KOA Camping Resort
Peoria, Arizona, USA
“Decent campground; questionable value”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This is an upgraded KOA with a variety of sites. After the paved entrance (sharp turns from the road and at the office), the interior roads and sites are reasonably well packed gravel. The park has been upgraded over the years with improvements to electric service, kid-oriented amenities, and many sites with concrete pads (with corresponding high prices brackets). We arrived late in the afternoon, and were escorted directly to our site, bypassing the office; a nice touch. This is a pet-friendly park, with a small off-leash area provided. Cable TV was acceptable but the “free Wi-Fi” was constrained to the point of being unusable, in addition to being totally unsecured (a definite no-no these days). Back-in sites are fine for smaller rigs, but the majority of the pull-thru spots (most of the newer spaces) are exceptionally large, long and well spaced. Stay away from site F187 in the lower level, as an out-of-control landscape irrigation system turns it into a mud puddle each morning. And beware the freight trains running about 100 yards away.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RVTravelerNTechie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed in L60 which is a deluxe cabin. One bdrm with queen bed and a real mattress - this room also has its own air conditioning unit. Other bdrn is very small with a bunk bed and they are camp mattresses. Loft has two twin camp mattresses - i thought they would have been real mattresses - loft is only 3ft high which was quite a surprise. Linens provided but beds not made - VERY tricky to make top bunk bed and loft beds.

Room very clean - nice bthrm (no tub). only a love seat and four chairs for around kitchen table. Living space very small for a week and if there had been bad weather. Living room also had air conditioning unit. We did not use air during our stay because of the fans and being in a shaded area - however, the loft was quite hot in evenings. We were four adults and two children. It actually never felt too cramped bc we were outside so much - enjoyed the picnic table and view from it.

Did not hear train at 2am as previous reviewers indicated - but did hear trains most nights around 8pm - VERY loud, but minimally bothersome as it didnt last more than a few minutes. Could hear road traffic but I have grown up in large cities and this does not bother me.

Great little store and LOVE the kid bucks - it paid for the HIPPO waterslide which was great fun. Pillow and pool also great. AMAZING - the pirate ship playground. Staff bury fake money in sand and you can dig it up (up to $2 a day) to spend in store. This occupied my 6 and 8 yr olds for hours!

We all enjoyed our stay and believe we will be back next year. The Gorge is a great hike as is the T (sorry cant spells) falls (45min away) and the swimming hole at the Tremen park - swimming right beside an amazing waterfall (closed due to weather breaking the dam, but should reopen next season).

Would really recommend this place. It ran about $200 a night which I thought was a little on the expensive side - $150 would have been more reasonable.

Room Tip: Any of the "L" rooms are deluxe cabins with bathrooms.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Ok but next to a busy road. Can here race cars as well from raceway. Staff passively friendly. Didn't smile much. Went to state park Gorge. Wonderful.. Sites we had had next camp firepit to close to where are trailer went. Bathrooms were nice. Bathroom in pool house had a very dirty door. Not cleaned in months. Not award winning for sure. Again average.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Paramus, New Jersey
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed in a deluxe cabin this past weekend (K9 to be exact) and overall our experience was pleasant. Our cabin was very clean with a flat screen tv, full bath, two bunk beds and a futon. We used the futon as our bed and it was actually quite comfortable. Towels, face cloths, extra towels and linens were all provided but toiletries such as shampoo/bar soap were not (hand soap, yes). The biggest complaint I have with our experience wad the railway across the street from the camp. This IS an active railway and the train passes through at least once during the day and worst of all twice between 1:00 and 2:00 am. I was woken up two nights in a row by the train and one night the cabin even shook a bit. Another complaint is that there is no security gate so virtually anyone can come in/out of the camp. Also, there are no locks on the doors (It's a key card swipe access). The pool and hot tub area are very clean and well maintained and the camp store has an ample supply of all your camping necessities. KOA is conveniently located about 5/10 minutes from town and Watkins Glen State Park. In that sense the location was great. I absolutely loved the cabin, hated the 2:00 am train but overall I had a pleasant experience at KOA.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank WoodlandExplorer
Harrisburg, pa
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We tent camped here for the first time this week. After reading some of the reviews, I agree w/ some comments and not at all with some others. The encounters we had w/ the staff were wonderful. They were very helpful and friendly--from the calls I made before we went with a lot of questions to any help we needed while we were there. My 11 year old daughter enjoyed the hippo water slide, the jumping pillow and of course the happy hour ice cream cones. THe pool was opened but we did not use it. While we were there the bathrooms were clean and fully stocked w/ toilet paper (unlike a previous reviewer). I thought the shower facilities were also nice. I agree w/ some other reviewers that the sites are close. It would have been nice if a camp employee would have driven around on their golf cart after quiet hour to quiet our neighbors. They were just talking until after 3:00 in the morning. But, the sound of their voices traveled far. Over all, we had a great time there and would stay again if we ever go back to Watkins Glen. Oh, one more thing...the KOA is right off the road so there is a lot of road noise plus the train goes by one in the middle of the night (around 2:00 am).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank darlene p
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We reserved a 1 bedroom camper cabin - K91. The most basic you can get with 1 double bed and bunk beds, a bench, small table and a porch with a swing. $80+ per night. This required relying on the community facilities for toilet and shower. On the surface this sounded fine.

We checked in on Friday evening 8/2 around 8PM. With 1 person in front of me, it took nearly 20 minutes to finally get the attention of the staff to check-in. Staff literally ignores customers while doing other tasks like opening the door to the pool, selling mini-golf and talking on the phone.

On Saturday morning, the toilets were FULL, as in full of you know what. When I tried to clear one of the toilets by flushing, it just bubbled. Where is one supposed to relieve themselves when the bathrooms are not working? I later heard water problems, but no instructions for alternative facilities. I would have preferred a porta-potty over having to hang my bottom over the disgusting mess in these toilets. When we returned from a day of hiking, toilets were flushing, however there was no toilet paper in any of the stalls! From Saturday evening through check noon on Sunday (when we left), there was no toilet paper and just dirty facilities.

On Saturday afternoon, around 4PM I stopped in the office to pay for my guests that would be showing up soon and I didn't want them to have to wait like we did to register. I again waited 20+ minutes to simply register an additional car and pay my $3 for my guests. There was only 1 person in front of me.

That cute looking swing? BEWARE! My daughter and I rocked the swing at an ordinary pace. I was holding my 8 week old grandson. All of the sudden, the bolt holding the swing broke from the ceiling forcing the three of us to the floor. SO LUCKY that the chain didn't hit us, or my legs didn't get caught under the swing, or that I didn't drop the baby!! I was furious. I took the hook up to the office and caught the assistant manager at the door. He came by a while later to see the swing. Several hours later a new bolt was in place. I didn't swing after that.

Finally, back to those toilets. We checked out at 10:15 and then stayed at a friend's camp until about noon. When I checked out, I told Falencia about the swing and also about the toilets not having any paper in them. She gave me a comment card to fill out. BUT, no offer to get someone on those toilets. When we left at noon, I used the facilities 1 more time and of course had to use my own Kleenex once again because there was STILL NO TOILET Paper!

How can you charge $80 per night for your cheapest cabin and not at least provide adequate toilet facilities and supplies?

One last thing. This KOA has people on top of each other. There isn't even room for a second car. I hated this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cmclauss

Travelers are raving about these Watkins Glen hotels

Virum
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This KOA is family friendly with a number of things kids can do by themselves. Ours particularly lived the hippopotamus waterslide. The indoor pool is also great although their are showers for washing yourself before and after the pool which has a lot if chlorine.
Location is good with lots if trees. Sites are bit close to each other. Fortunately there weren't a lot of people in the camp when we were there.

• Stayed July 2013
#1 of 2 in Montour Falls
Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
#9 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Watkins Glen-Corning KOA Camping Resort? Share your experiences!