“Basic, but we loved it!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seneca Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Seneca Lodge
Rochester, NY
“Basic, but we loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

We were a group of 4 couples staying in 4 motel rooms (#13, 15, 16, 17). The rooms were immaculately clean. They looked like they may have been recently remodeled (new bathroom fixtures, tub surround, fresh paint). No frills - no phones, hair dryers, or toiletries (except bar soap) in the rooms. We had a deck in front of our rooms to hang out on, also.

We loved the rustic atmosphere, and had a great time here. We ate at the lodge restaurant for dinner, and all 8 of us were more than satisfued with our food. The bar is also pretty interesting!

We would stay here again, maybe in one of the A frames or larger cabins. Well worth the price!

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — beds were small and uncomfortable
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
North Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

The Seneca Lodge is an old timey Adirondack type lodge from the 50s. Unfortunately the rooms smell like it. They are very musty and mildewy smelling, though they do appear clean. The setting is in the woods, so the buildings and cabins never get the sun; hence the mustiness. The pool was horrible looking. It looked like it hadn't been taken care of since it was built. We looked at a few rooms and stayed in a newer one that didn't smell too bad yet. It was very plain, but seemed to be fairly clean.
We ate dinner in the lodge restaurant, which I recommend highly. It is all done in wood with a great menu selection. They even have several vegetarian selections. The food was outstanding. If I went back to Watkins Glen, I would stay somewhere else, but definitely eat at the Seneca!

• Liked — The restaurant
  • Disliked — the smell
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank salandrich
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

My family stayed at the Seneca Lodge over the weekend. A few years ago we stayed in one of the cabins, but since they were booked we stayed at the lodge. The rooms were very nice and clean and reasonably priced. We ate at the restaurant which was VERY convenient and had great service and food. We like the "woodsy/rustic" atmosphere at Seneca Lodge. We hiked the gorge and visited nearby wineries. We would definitely stay at Seneca Lodge again.

• Liked — Location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — No complaints
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

Our group of 4 (2 parents, 16 yr old, 5 yr old) were visitng Watkins Glen State Park and needed a room for 1 Saturday night. I read the tripadvisor reviews and chose Seneca Lodge. I called to make the reservation. I was told (politely) that they have a 1 night minimum but it turns out someone had booked Th and Fri so they had a room. It was cheap ($79). She did mention that the room might be small for 4, but I figured it was 1 night and we would survivie. And we were trying to stick to a budget and the price was right. In most respects, it was what I expected - a tent with walls as mentioned in other reviews.

Pros: 1. Location - walked to the Glen which was beautiful. You are at the south entrance which is where the very large state park pool is. There is also a really nice playground next to the pool.If you stay at the glen, I recommend that pool over the Seneca Lodge pool.
2. Restaurant/bar - good food, nice atmosphere, friendly staff. Two thumbs up. The food selections were more sophisticated than I expected - I hate trout almondine. Tasty. Breakfast was good. French toast ok, pancakes better. Bar is cute. Unfortunately an annoying loud young woman came in and we decided to leave after a short time. Sigh.
3. Room was very clean - Small but clean bath. Clean linens, spotless floors. Bed was firm enough for me, but they are two doubles, not two queens and it was tight for my family. There's a table and chairs and a tv.
4. Quiet grounds.
5. Friendly staff with the exception of the woman who checked us in - she was a bit surly.

Cons:
1. Biggest issue - the room smelled very musty. We were in room 30 and I wonder if the problem is with that motorcourt building as there was a review for unit 26 with the same complaint. If it wasn't for the musty smell and we had remembered to bring our kid-sized aerobed for the 5 yr old, the stay would have been much better.As for sitting on the porch with a drink - the port on this motor unit overlooks a gravel parking lot - not inviting. The other units have better views. Also lots of no-see-ums at night so bring cintronella candles
2. Archery is advertised. Its not much and I didn't see any info on where to get equipment.
3. Tennis court is ramshackle and looks unusable. Maybe kids would use it.
4. Pool is not inviting looking. Needed a skimming but was actually ok. We were there such a short time and we swam in the evening, but if you are around for more than a day, go to the state park. Also lots of no-see-ums while swimming was annoying.
Weirdest thing is the sign about not going potty in the pool. Nasty images from the wording. Anyone who has seen it will know what I mean. Oh and we were the only ones who used it during the limited time we were there. I'm guessing it's not worth their while to make it more inviting with the pool across the way.

Bottom line, I wouldn't stay there again. With no kids, I'd stay at a B&B in town, with kids I'd stay at a chain hotel with more room out on the highway which is 20 minutes away. It looks like the owners keep up the restuarant and are letting the rest of the property deteriorate until they get a good offer.

• Liked — Location and restaurant
  • Disliked — Musty smell in room
2 Thank Ripsters

Travelers are raving about these Watkins Glen hotels

Western New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

Our first night at Seneca Lodge we stayed in a cabin. The first thing we noticed was a weird smell. I don't know what they use to clean these things but it's strange. However, not as strange as the electricity in the cabin, which during the night decided to turn on and off over and over. Because we had a fan running, I heard it turn on and off, all night long. I told the staff about my restless night but they basically just made light of it, saying they'd repair the electricity, but not a word of apology or anything.

So I asked to be switched to a motel room, which we had to pay extra for. It was roomy and comfortable. Be aware, though, that they enjoy mowing the lawn outside your window at 8 AM. (Two mornings in a row no less). No late sleepers here!

Also disappointing was the fact that we were told the cabins had fire rings, but it was just two rings in the area that everyone shares. And it's worth mentioning that the wireless internet signal is weak to the point of being unusable in both spots we tried. I know, it's not the point of staying in a place like this, but if they advertise it, it should work.

So this place will get you by, it's in a nice location, but too many problems for us.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Forester27
South Williamsport
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

For five years I have stayed in a different room at Seneca Lodge the first weekend in August. This year I was in Room 25. When we opened the door, the smell about knocked us over. It was a cross between bug spray and mildew. We opened the windows, sprayed some Fabreeze and hoped that it would "air out". We got back at 11 and the smell was still bad. No choice but to honker down and try to get a new room the next day. Pulled back the bedspread....there were two "live" beetles on the bed. Miserable night on a "damp, very old matress", the smell was nauseating. No frills, no phone, nada.....nothing but a room with beds, a TV, and clock. Period. No other room was available. They put a dehumidifer in the room which helped a little for the next night. All rooms have a damp musty odor, but this was much worse than previous years. I was in a tourmnament the next day with aboslutely no sleep. Ruined my whole weekend. I love the bar and the outside patio for drinks. The restaurant is very nice, but a little pricey. Next year I am staying downtown (not the Glenway, that's even worse) and will go up to the Lodge for drinks. I'll pay the extra $30 for a clean room and good nights sleep at The Villager. Too bad really. Everyone at the Lodge is so nice, but come on, get the rooms dried out, the bugs out of the bed, and replace those ancient matresses. It sure would have been nice to make a reservation online.

• Liked — The bar and outside patio.
  • Disliked — Old damp smelly matresses
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank boccebabe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

Weren't sure where to stay here. Drove past a few recommeded places from the area and thought about sleeping in the car instead.
This place was great!! We stayed in the regular rooms, really clean, shady place, quiet. The lodge was woodsy and cozy. The rooms were large and clean. Everyone was so nice here. We could walk to the middle part of the gorge from here. It was a great bargain.

• Liked — woodsy and charming
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
#6 of 17 in Watkins Glen
The Blackberry Inn B&B
The Blackberry Inn B&B
#1 of 17 in Watkins Glen

Been to Seneca Lodge? Share your experiences!