“Once was enough.”
Review of Glen Motor Inn

Glen Motor Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Only thing going for this place was the view from the balcony. Rooms are so old, outdated. Looks like it hadn't be done over in many years. Smell was like they sprinkled carpet to hide an odor. Driveway blacktop all broken and chopped up on the roadway down to the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank traveltime482

Reviewed August 10, 2010

Were meeting relatives in the Finger Lakes for a weekend away. They had picked the new Harbor Hotel in Watkins Glen for over $200.00 a night. Not wanting to pay that much for a place to put my head at night I found the Glen Motor Inn. At $125 on weekends and $115 during the week it was a find. The rooms are very old and very outdated but they are clean and get good water pressure. There are no amenities here which is just fine as I was not going to spend my whole weekend sitting in my room. It had a shared balconey with a beautiful view of the lake. We even had a perfect view of the fireworks at the harbor on Saturday night. If you want total privacy then pay for it as in the Finger Lakes in the middle of summer things can get expensive and booked up fast. Had very good food at the restaurant also. The ravioli bolognese was excellent. The burger good too. Would have no problem staying there again on my next visit to The Finger Lakes.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Spent almost a week here as our central location for touring the finger lakes. Although it is somewhat in a time capsule from the 60-70's, do not drive by! Yes, it does need repairs and updating but the staff could not be more friendly and the entire place is clean, clean, clean, including the outdoor pool. The beds are very comfortable and you can't beat the view from your balcony. We were here during the Italian Festival and watched the most incredible fireworks right from our balcony! It is a most affordable motel and rates include continental breakfast in the dining room looking out to that view! Be sure to try the restaurant on premises for a good Italian meal, much better than Jerlandos downtown. We hope to return again!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2010

.I've just returned from a trip to Watkins Glen, New York. Prior to leaving for the trip, I checked trip adviser for information on the Glen Motor Inn, as this is where my friends were staying. I was a bit disappointed as I read the reviews. I made the reservation for four days along with four other couples so we could attend the Finger Lakes Wine Festival. When we arrived we were greeted by the front desk receptionist who directed us to our rooms. Our rooms were on the bottom floor facing Lake Seneca. The view was spectacular. The rooms were not. Although the rooms were clean, they were very outdated and in disrepair. The air conditioning did'nt work very well. (84 degrees in our room), and the bathrooms were in need of some major repair. I was thankful for trip advisor reviews because it lessened the shock of it all. The pool was nice, but my husband cleaned it twice with the skimmer so we could swim in it. It's really a shame the this hotel was'nt kept up and get's such poor reviews, because we really had a nice time there. The housekeeping staff were friendly, the restaurant food and service was good and the view was spectacular. The motel is in really bad shape. I would'nt recommend this hotel to anyone because of this. I'd be to embarrassed.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank luvstheshore
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We made reservations for Memorial Day weekend with some friends with small children and our teenage daughter. First we were disappointed when we arrived because the pool was not open. The kids were excited to swim as it was 90 degees that weekend. We dont live very far from Watkins and all pools in NY usually open Memorial Day. The desk should have offered this info when we called to reserve. Secondly, the "balcony" is not private, it is actually the sidewalk everyone uses to get to their room. The website makes it sound as if it is this relaxing private balcony. The view to the lake was "ok". The rooms were clean but very outdated! The worst part was the staff/owners, they were extremely rude! I dont know how they have any business treating people the way they do. For example, in the morning at the breakfast my husband asked "where is the coffee?", the owner snipped back very rudely, "what about the coffee??" My husband said ..."just needed to know where it was"....No way to run a business, I guess he must get alot of complaints as it seems as if he was expecting one here. The onsite restaurant looks as if it is never used, the prices are that of a high class fancy restaurant, so I can see why no one eats there. The "bar" is one little area in the corner of the restaurant that seats maybe 3-4 people. Actually this is where they place the breakfast food in the morning. The best part of the whole stay was the free yogurt and bagels. Finally, for the price, I dont think it was a good deal. I have paid less for nicer motels and much friendlier service. My advice...keep looking!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank becky5451
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Checked in and after inspecting our room that was linked to the adjoining one by a door, asked the clerk not to put anyone there if they could help it. Experienced a wonderful evening on our balcony overlooking the lake and was just drifting off to bed when grandparents with a couple of loud kids in tow checked in. I tried to sleep but finally at midnight I had to yell at them on the balcony to quiet down. Early the next morning we departed; hardly any of the rooms were occupied. I talked to a different clerk when checking out about the situation; she said nothing had been put down about us not wanting anyone next door--she made it seem like it was our fault. My thought is why would you put someone right next door when most of the motel was empty anyway?!?!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DougBBGG
Reviewed December 12, 2009

My husband and I came to the Watkins Glen area to visit the local wineries. We stayed one night at the Glen Motor Inn. It was early November and we were the only customers in the motel. The rooms were old, I felt like I was back in the 1960's, but they were clean. It did have a balcony so you had a beautiful view of the lake. The room was inexpensive and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
#2 of 9 in Watkins Glen
Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
#8 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Glen Motor Inn? Share your experiences!