“Not what it could be”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
South Jersey
“Not what it could be”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

When you want Chinese and Dragon in T-Burg is closed, House of Hong is OK. Avoid steam dumplings which are doughy lumps.

It drives me nuts that this is a great building and was home to the Town House restaurant for decades, but current management has family hanging out in the bar, plus surplus supplies. Seating and décor are awful. Not welcoming or comfortable AT ALL. Wish this family would get it together and treat space as a business and not a living room/storage room.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Frances77

• Korean first
Elmira, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food in the heart of Watkins”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've had food every and I must say this is probably the best chinese food around the area.

I had great service that recommended many dishes and I recently tried the triple delight and man can I tell you thats probably the best dish I've had in such a long time.

The service was the best as it could be since the waitress is very limited in speaking english so please bear with her. She is friendly!

The restaurant itself is awesome! Its in such a historical building and means alot to the community.

Please give this restaurant a try!!! If you havent already!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank christian H
Sunbury, Ohio
“Good take out”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We ordered takeout online from here and took it back to our room. The food was good, hot and fast. We did not have the sushi, but I'm glad to see Watkins Glenn does have a sushi place. The restaurant is in a beautiful, old turn-of-the century high rise office building which is an interesting juxtaposition of two cultures.

Visited June 2013
Buffalo
“Big Surprise, in a small tourest town”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

OK, so on vacation, sometimes you want the snazzy, the up-scale, the unique, the memorable. But sometimes none of those seem to fit the desire of the day. So, with that in mind we visited the House of Hong right in the heart of downtown Watkins Glen on Franklin St. Oh yes, we were pleasantly surprised. The food was fresh and tasty, and the service excellent. The owners are there on hand and do they hustle. The Sushi was also excellent. We have been to many Chinese restaurants and this one is certainly near the top. For those visiting wine country, the race track, or state park, you will not be disappointed. Oh and the prices, Combo dinners for less than $10. C'mon, I don't need to say more. Great place!! You bet, we will return.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Wickedmotion
Upstate, New York
“Takeout”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have been eating Chinese Food - good Chinese food - all of my life. When this place opened up I was grateful, because I love Chinese, and I love supporting local businesses.

I have been disappointed time, after time after time. No matter what I order, or how explicit I am, my order is ALWAYS wrong!!! I've asked for tea that's never there; I've asked for extra crispy noodles that don't show up; I've asked for extra crepes for mu-shu that doesn't go in. Of course, I'm always CHARGED for these things, but they just don't show up. Not to mention the times when my order is just plain wrong.

So, when I looked up the menu (yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment) and realized I could order online, well, that would ensure that this time, my order would be 100%. Wrong again. And If we lived close by, well it would be easily remedied, only we don't. 25 mile round trip. So, when yet AGAIN my order was wrong, this was the end. On the computer order, I asked TWICE for extra noodles that go with Chicken Chow Mein. Normally, they come with a handful, but it's never enough, so I always ask for extra. There were no crispy noodles at all, and I got, and was charged for fantail shrimp I didn't order. I got to eat a pile of stir fried vegetables with no crunchy noodles. I called, and the "manager" said she would have to see who packed it. So what? What good does that do me? Later someone called from Beyondmenu and said they would take off the shrimp, but again, so what? I didn't get what I ordered. Again.

If I order 12 things, and there are 9 in the bag, SOMETHING IS MISSING!!!

If you order take out, be prepared to stand there and take everything out and make sure you are getting what you ordered, because there is no quality control in this restaurant. There is a Chinese take out place in Trumansburg, and one in Ovid, and I will go there. My taxes don't stay here, but the food and service have to be better.

• Visited May 2013