“German... I beg to differ!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Castel Grisch Winery
Ranked #16 of 43 Restaurants in Watkins Glen
Cuisines: Wine Bar, American
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A gorgeous winery sitting in the hills of Seneca Lake. Customers can enjoy glasses of wine and small meals while enjoying the lake view on our deck. Wine tastings and a gift shop are also available to enjoy.
Horseheads, New York
“German... I beg to differ!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

I was suprised to read the great reviews of this restaurant. My huband and I just came back from the restaurant to see what other wrote. We were so disapointed. First, if you are going tout German, then you should a) have German music in the background, b) opt for another color than pink tablecloths! Our reservations were for 5, the food in the buffet was cold. There was a woman behind the buffet, constantly lifting the lids of the chaffing dishes. She made me feel very intimidated as I scooped out my clumpy tablespoon-size serving of spatzel. The coffee cup was not a match for the saucer, so we needed to balance our coffee carefully. Onto the staff. The greeter was great. The only one in the restaurant with personality. Our waitress was FAR from friendly. She didn't recommend the grape pie (which I really wanted but forgot about), visiting the wine room, etc. Although I have to say she was very energetic when giving us the bill stating that "The tip (of 20%) was included!
Now let's talk about the food. As previously stated, the food was not hot at all. It was tasty, and the little pieces of each food type was probably the way to go with a buffet; less waste. The bread on the buffet was cut into fondue size pieces. As a matter of fact, the butter pats (balls) were bigger than the bread pieces! You can get a sample of everything which was the benefit of the buffet. If you are reading this review and still want to go, I'd order off of the menu and not the buffet, bring your own German music in the car to put you in the mood for a German experience.

2 Thank CTcomuter

New York
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

We stopped at Castel Grisch as part of our day trip to Watkins Glen...the weather was beautiful and we sat outside with a gorgeous view of the lake. The Falling Waters wines were perfect for the weather--light and fruity, chilled and not too sweet. We ate the fruit and cheese tray, along with the jagerschnitzel sandwich and a grilled ham/cheese sandwich. Everything was delicious and decently portioned. The side of German potato salad was wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch, then tasted and bought some wine after our meal. The wait staff could not have been more pleasant and is worth mentioning here. I would love to go back and try the German buffet at night.

Modesto, California
“Nice restaurant in Watkins Glen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I ate here while traveling through New York State and the Fingerlakes area. We found out they have a German buffet at night and had to try it as we don't often get to have German food. We found the restaurant to be pleasant and the staff very nice. It was a rainy, overcast day so even though the restaurant sits on a hill with a great view, we did not see much. The food was good but not great. There were a number of selections including goulash soup, german potatoe salad, cucumber salad, potatoe pancakes, red cabbage, spatzle, schnitzel, knockwurst, bratwurst, pork roast, sauerbraten, rouladen and desserts to include strudels and bars. The price was $25.00 which is not inexpensive, but there was a good amount of food for the money. One of the things I enjoyed most was actually not on the buffet and therefore cost extra. We had a piece of grape pie and it was very tasty. I had read about grape pie as a specialty in the Fingerlakes area and had to try it. I would love to have it again. To sum up, I would say if you are in the area and want a fairly decent buffet try this place.

PA
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

We ate here our first night in Watkins Glen. We really enjoyed the German buffet and the wonderful view of the lake. Although the winery was closed when we arrived, the hostess made the shop available in order for us to purchase some wine to take with us. Loved the Cayuga White! My husband and I will return to this lovely restaurant on our next trip to NY.

Lansing, MI
“What a Great Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife, a friend and I dined there in late June '09. Wife & I had the German buffet which was delicious and had a huge number of choices, each better than the last. Our friend, a German food conesseur, ordered from the menu and said his entree was good but not great. Desserts were excellent! Wine, a Castel Grisch vineyards semi-dry Riesling, was superb!

We ate on the outdoor patio which offers a view to the East across Seneca Lake which is to die for!

This is a wonderful place. We're looking forward to returning when we come back to WG and the Harbor Hotel for another mini-vacation in September.