“Nice restaurant in Watkins Glen”

Castel Grisch Winery
Ranked #18 of 43 Restaurants in Watkins Glen
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: A gorgeous winery sitting in the hills of Seneca Lake. Customers can enjoy glasses of wine and small meals while enjoying the lake view on our deck. Wine tastings and a gift shop are also available to enjoy.
Modesto, California
“Nice restaurant in Watkins Glen”
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I ate here while traveling through New York State and the Fingerlakes area. We found out they have a German buffet at night and had to try it as we don't often get to have German food. We found the restaurant to be pleasant and the staff very nice. It was a rainy, overcast day so even though the restaurant sits on a hill with a great view, we did not see much. The food was good but not great. There were a number of selections including goulash soup, german potatoe salad, cucumber salad, potatoe pancakes, red cabbage, spatzle, schnitzel, knockwurst, bratwurst, pork roast, sauerbraten, rouladen and desserts to include strudels and bars. The price was $25.00 which is not inexpensive, but there was a good amount of food for the money. One of the things I enjoyed most was actually not on the buffet and therefore cost extra. We had a piece of grape pie and it was very tasty. I had read about grape pie as a specialty in the Fingerlakes area and had to try it. I would love to have it again. To sum up, I would say if you are in the area and want a fairly decent buffet try this place.

PA
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We ate here our first night in Watkins Glen. We really enjoyed the German buffet and the wonderful view of the lake. Although the winery was closed when we arrived, the hostess made the shop available in order for us to purchase some wine to take with us. Loved the Cayuga White! My husband and I will return to this lovely restaurant on our next trip to NY.

Lansing, MI
“What a Great Place!”
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife, a friend and I dined there in late June '09. Wife & I had the German buffet which was delicious and had a huge number of choices, each better than the last. Our friend, a German food conesseur, ordered from the menu and said his entree was good but not great. Desserts were excellent! Wine, a Castel Grisch vineyards semi-dry Riesling, was superb!

We ate on the outdoor patio which offers a view to the East across Seneca Lake which is to die for!

This is a wonderful place. We're looking forward to returning when we come back to WG and the Harbor Hotel for another mini-vacation in September.

Colorado
“Good German buffet”
Reviewed September 18, 2007

This winery has a very good German all-you-eat-buffet on certain nights during the summer. It is very good. The view is also outstanding.

Huntington, NY
“This is a great place”
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife and i have been going to Watkins Glen at least once a year since 1991. I was told about this place sometime in the mid '90's by a staff worker at the State Park. It was really great then but, like everything else in life, changes have taken place. The changes, in pricing, & in food/wine offering have slightly changed the experience but it is still a great place to go. You would think you are in Europe while dining there. The waitresses dress in costumes like in Europe. I was there on July 4th for lunch. I had a Burgermeister which is a (very) big hamburger with cheese. It tasted very high quality. My wife had a Duck salad. We both enjoyed the meals very much. My wife had a strawberry soup that she went crazy over. I am disappointed that no Chardonay wine was available nor was the Champagne. I don't think the wineries Champagne has been made in quite a few years. It was very good. They said they have sold out of the Chardonay and it wasn't going to be available again for a few months. I had the Reisling but it really was too sweet for me. The outside deck overlooks the winery and Seneca Lake. It drizzled while we were there but still opted to sit outside and were covered by a roof structure so we didn't get wet. You can sit inside if you want but I'll sit outside there every chance I get. Dinner is not served every night so check their schedule before you go. It's not located in the center of town but only takes about 10 minutes to get to. I see some other reviewer said her husband didn't get enough food there. That's crazy. The amount of food you get there is sufficient for any normal human being. If he eats that much, he should go to one of those "all you can eat places." I'm 160 pounds and the Burgermeister with the potato salad plus one glass of wine left me stuffed. The duck salad my wife had was plenty in size. I'll go back every time I'm at The Glen. Hopefully next time I'll catch a dinner there and they will have the Chard.

5 Thank drinkgoodwine