“Would return often if I lived closer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Nickel's Pit BBQ

Nickel's Pit BBQ
Ranked #3 of 43 Restaurants in Watkins Glen
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Nickel's Pit BBQ will be closing for the season on Saturday, November 5, 2016! Visit our website and social media to learn more about our off-season BBQ weekends starting in late November/early December. We partner with a small, local farm and our menu is updated to reflect availability. Our ribs, chicken, brisket and other meats are so popular that they may sell out during business hours, or not be featured. All of our meats are smoked fresh and smoking is very long, intricate process that cannot be rushed. Give us a call to see what we are offering! We do classic BBQ with an Upstate NY spin and want to give you the best dining experience. We appreciate your understanding, flexibility, and appetites!
Baltimore, Maryland
“Would return often if I lived closer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Really enjoyed our meal at Nick's. I usually take half my meal home, but I inhaled every morsel of my curly fries with pulled pork chili and cheese. Yum! My husband had a brisket sandwich he claimed was the juiciest brisket he'd ever had. The craft beer complemented the food perfectly.

Visited August 2014

United States
“Good beer- Food smells good from street but below average taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

A group of six of us stopped in here on a Sunday night. There was a good crowd. The restaurant is a cool location in that it is an old auto shop. They still have the garage door that rolls down in the middle of the indoor/outdoor bar.

We had some drinks and ate at the bar outside. They have some heaters nearby and the patio/bar area is nice. The beer was pretty good and reasonably priced. They list the ABV and pricing for pints and pitchers on a chalk board. A flight of beer is $1.75 a glass which I thought was reasonably priced. The bartender seemed knowledgeable on the beers on tap. They were attentive and friendly. One thing though, they use a rag doused with bleach to wipe the bar down. For about 5 minutes, we smelled bleach instead of BBQ. They really need to stop doing that as the second time, we were eating three seats down.

We ordered a variety of food from smoked wings, pulled pork, flat breads, etc. I got the Carolina pulled pork with fries. The portion size was excellent and the fries were good. I thought the pulled pork was ok...but a step below Dinosaur or Sticky Lips in nearby Rochester. I've had better and I've had worse.

The smoked wings were a disappointment. They had a basic cajun seasoning similar to what you can get in your grocery aisle. They were also dry. We tried adding sauce but ended up leaving 3-4 on the plate out of the 10. Several of us stated there seemed to be no smoke taste in the wings.

They have one carousel of BBQ sauces for the entire bar. If you time it right, you get all the sauces. If someone is eating already, the waitress will ask you "what sauce do you want?". This was bizarre...why not have 3-4 of those for the bar.

One last thing, the men's room has a bizarre layout. Make sure you lock the door. As you walk in, the toilet is right there on the right at the door opening so you face the door. Ladies waiting on line for their rest room will get a clear sight. The bathrooms were obviously just added in when they converted this from an auto shop...I have no idea who thought this was a smart layout.

Overall it was ok.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank stevesul
Hamburg, New York, United States
“Good food, great beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stopped in one night to have a few drinks; we were very pleased with the choices. We enjoyed the beer so much that we took a growler to go back to the hotel. The next night, we stopped for dinner and truly enjoyed the food. The brisket was great, and the smoked wings were also fantastic. We ended up taking another growler back, and then grabbed one to take home with us as well.

Good food, good drinks, and the service wasn't bad either.

• Visited August 2014
Sherman Oaks
“The food is good but the flies were ridiculous.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Nickel's is large room that opens to the street (and their outdoor seating). They are affiliated with Rooster Fish Brewery who creates crafted ales or IPAs and those are served in Nickel's as well as a nice selection of local Seneca Lake wines available by the glass. I enjoyed a dry Riesling. The menu has more than just barbeque on it but I chose St. Louis short ribs. The half rack was a very healthy serving although the ribs themselves were rather fatty. The beer glazed carrots were very good, as was the cole slaw.

But the place was full of flies. I had at least 3 land on my table while I was eating. I had one follow me into the restroom that was at the back of the restaurant. My server noticed me flipping one away and actually commented on the fact that "we never have a problem with flies." Given how the front of the restaurant is completely open I can't imagine how they wouldn't unless the town of Watkins Glen never has flies. They were annoying and I just couldn't help but wonder if they weren't on the cooking surfaces as well.

Visited August 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Something different”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

Lovely fresh BBQ meat, delicious pulled port and home brewed beers Service is good with friendly staff, centrally situated in the main street.

Visited July 2014