“Top quality BBQ”

Nickel's Pit BBQ
Ranked #3 of 44 Restaurants in Watkins Glen
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Description: We partner with a small, local farm and our menu is updated to reflect availability. Our ribs, chicken, brisket and other meats are so popular that they may sell out during business hours, or not be featured. All of our meats are smoked fresh and smoking is very long, intricate process that cannot be rushed. Give us a call to see what we are offering! We do classic BBQ with an Upstate NY spin and want to give you the best dining experience. We appreciate your understanding, flexibility, and appetites!
Buffalo, New York
“Top quality BBQ”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here on 8/14/2013, and thoroughly enjoyed it. You are given a menu when you walk in, and you can stand there and decide what you want, or take it to a table and decide. Then you have to go to the cashier to place your order. It worked well, as the place was not busy, but I wonder how it works when they are busy. Servers bring your food, and it arrived quickly. Servers return to see that all is well. They have 12 draft beers from the neighboring micro brewery, in the $5-8 range for a pint.
All food was very good. The brisket and the ribs were especially tender and tasty. My sandwich of kielbasa, pulled pork and bacon was interesting, if not outstanding; I expected a jucier, tastier kielbasa. Bacon was thick-cut and excellent. Accompanying sides (we had potato salad, cole slaw, and baked beans) appeared to have been made on premises, and were excellent. We will definitely return there for dinner when we return to Watkins Glen.

• Visited August 2013

Vernon, Connecticut
“Nice open air pub”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was impressed with this little place nestled in storefronts with their open air concept. Bar/pub like atmosphere with live music and outdoor seating with propane towers for warmth. The only complaint i can say is that you have to go to the bar to order but they did deliver the food to our table. I had the pulled pork sandwich with curly fries. Sandwich was excellent, the fries a little too well done. Men in our group were disappointed that they do not sell the common beers, I do think they are a brewery so that makes sense. They want people to drink their beers, no problem with that.

Visited August 2013
Rochester, New York
“Yum!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Had the brisket combo, with pork chili as a side, the chili was fresh was ground meat and pulled pork, the brisket was tender, a wonderful meal! Cool restaurant setting!

• Visited August 2012
“Food was o.k.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Ordering process is a little different but works out ok. Went on a Friday afternoon, the place wasn't to busy. I hear the complaints about them running out of food but to me that just means it's fresh. Who wants ribs reheated from yesterday? We ordered the dinner for two. It has all the meats and comes with two sides and cornbread. Our sides were curly fries and baked beans. We also ordered potato salad, cole slaw, and Mac n cheese. This is a massive order of food. It fed 4 of us with some leftover. The meats were chicken wings, meatloaf, kielbasa, pulled pork, brisket, ribs, and 1/4 chicken. Wow! All meats were o.k. With the exception of the kielbasa. Not a lot of flavor. Personally didn't care for the BBQ sauces. All the sides were good. The Mac n cheese and baked beans really stand out. Those two items are delicious. Great local beer selection. Overall just o.k. Staff was very friendly.

Visited July 2013
Portland, Maine
“Great BBQ after a hike in the glen”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stopped here over the 4th of July with 3 freinds as around 3 in the aftenoon. The food was good to great. We all ordered different things so we could sample all the different types of BBQ they offered. Most all of it was great, moist, tender, flaverfull. One of the cuts was dry, could be it was 3pm so odd time. We all did enjoy our food and would go back again.

Service however is not great. I get it that its counter service but when you pay at the counter they expect you to add a tip. I included a 22% tip on the preorder. Not sure why I did that and I surely regreted that after. The front door was wide open, restruant was slow as it was 3pm, staff of 4 was just floating, hanging out. Not once did anyone come see if we wanted a refill on our beers, clean up empty beer glasses, let alone a water. We went up a few times for more beers but then needed more napkins and water.. Note to self DONT TIP on the prepay! If you feel you had service after you order then leave cash on the table if not dont tip.

• Visited July 2013