Farm Sanctuary
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
See available hotels
Longhouse Lodge Motel(Watkins Glen)
Chieftain Motel(Watkins Glen)
  • Free Internet
Lakeside Resort(Watkins Glen)
View Hotel
Gorgeous View Motel(Watkins Glen)
View Hotel
Glen Motor Inn(Watkins Glen)
View Hotel
Anchor Inn And Marina(Watkins Glen)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Budget Inn(Watkins Glen)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed one night. Cabins and restrooms - shower are clean and well maintained. The staff in the welcome center are great. Get there early if you can, after 5 the barns and animals are off limits so the staff can round them up for the night. I say get there a few hours before to get your bearings. Also helps to open the windows and get the fan spinning to cool down the room. At night there were deer grazing in front and behind. We brought my laptop and while in town for dinner, we ran to Wal-mart and bought a movie. In the morning they provide a breakfast and a special tour of the grounds where you meet a lot of the farm animals and here some of their experiences prior to arriving at FS. I wish the tour guide would have slowed down some, but she was still great. Wouldn't have missed this stop on our vacation for anything, really wonderful.

Room Tip: There are only 3 cabins, book early.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JeffinHampton
Reviewed October 23, 2012

For a family lifecycle event, I booked all three cabins at the bed and breakfast at the Farm Sanctuary. On the invitations I warned that the cabins were "rustic", but I needn't've. The cabins are lovely, new, clean, warm and the king size beds are comfy. The rooms are incredibly spacious when you get inside, which you can't tell from the outside. There's a mini fridge and small seating area in each cabin, and an extra twin cot--also very cozy to sleep in each cabin as well. The only drawback is that there's no bathroom, but there's a gorgeously well appointed one only a few steps away, it wasn't much of an imposition at all.
Of course it helped that we were there at the height of autumn when the foliage was dazzling and we witnessed two gorgeous double rainbows in one day. But rest assured, we've also visited the Sanctuary in other seasons, and it's never ugly. You stand on the porch or look out your cabin window and see animals grazing on the hill across from you, or sipping water from the pond. What kind of animal is that? You wonder while your eye focuses in. They're pigs, it turns out, rescued from a horrible life and even more miserable slaughter, now living their lives out serenely grazing on the hill. Who even knew that pigs were grazing animals? Even in the best of family farms they're confined to pens. You learn this and a whole lot more if you take the complimentary tour offered to guests by the Sanctuary staff each morning at 10.
The tour comes after your breakfast of vegan bagel and/or pastry. Coffee, tea, organic juices, oatmeal and fruit are the standard offerings, with spreads that include an amazing vegan cream cheese.
The food is great, the view is great, the animals are great, but greatest of all are the staff of the Sanctuary, all dedicated to animal rights and welfare, they knowledgable, approacable, and extremely accomodating.
I definitely recommend this B&B if your travel goals are all about tranquility, and especially if you are naturally inclined towards the "curnchy granola" personal outlook type.

Room Tip: Cabin one is closest to the bathroom and showers, which are about fifteen feet away. But, as the cabins are set in a tight row on flat ground, no walk is too onerous, unless you have significant mobility issues.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Summer10TravellingMo
Reviewed September 18, 2012

What a cool place. Its just a 1/2 hour from Watkins Glenn State Park so if you are there, you have to come here. I love animals and this was a unique place to see and touch animals that you may never be so close too. The animals here come from very poor conditions, they are rehabbed back to health and now they can live out their life peacefully. The tour was very informative, only takes an hour and the animals that you can pet are friendly. Think about standing next to a 2500 lb cow. They are are so soft as well. What a great experience. I highly recommend stopping here!

Room Tip: They also have a a bed and breakfast here too.We did not stay here though.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank lynnealbright
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I loved my stay at Farm Sanctuary, NY. The single room cabins are rustic and basic with a spacious and clean feel about them. Each cabin has 2 double beds, a dresser, benches in place of beside tables, a small seating area with a couple of chairs, 2 small tables with literature, a mini fridge and a roll away bed. We enjoyed the company of a sweet little resident black cat each night we were there who slept on the foot of our bed and was a very gracious to us, her guests. The bathrooms are a short walk away inside the People Barn. There's also nice private showers in this area.

In the morning you wake up to the roosters and the animals emerging from the barns. It's truly beautiful. We went in the fall, when the rolling hills of the Finger Lakes region were bright with colourful leaves and deer could be seen all around. The People Barn is where you go to enjoy breakfast in a small dining room with 2 picnic tables that also doubles as a media library with a small TV for guests use. The continental breakfast includes danishes, muffins, bagels, toast, coffee, tea and juice. It's simple and nice knowing that you know they've got you covered in the vegan department.

I went with my partner and a friend, but Farm Sanctuary's cabins and B&B are excellent for veg'n couples, groups of friends and families who aren't too picky about not having a tv or washrooms in the cabin. There was a young family staying there while we were there with two small children and they had a great time, especially meeting the animals, who are just so happy and at peace here.

It's hard to imagine the hell the residents of Farm Sanctuary have escaped from but that is what the People Barn is for. It's an educational and informative centre with games for kids, posters and pamphlets designed to educate people on the truths of the factory farming industry and why a vegan diet is a healthy solution. Each morning, B&B guests are treated to a tour that begins here after breakfast. There's a quick tour around the barn and short video outlining the issues. If you're already vegan, you probably know all this stuff and you won't have to repeat it if you do the tour on the following mornings, unless there's new guests.

It's not terribly graphic, but if you're living in denial about the fact that meat and dairy come from animals who are tortured, abused, suffer their whole lives and then die for your meal, then yes you might find it shocking. Remember, Farm Sanctuary is not a petting zoo, so if you don't respect that this a vegan sanctuary, you really have no business being here. On the other hand, if you're open minded and willing to expose yourself to a peaceful and healthy way of life, then you'll have a very rewarding experience.

I can't say enough good things about this place. I felt restored going here, seeing all the people who work here and dedicate themselves to caring for these farm animals. Seeing animals who can live out their natural lives without anyone trying to kill them. I did a meditation retreat early this year that included 10-days of silent meditation and contemplation and can honestly say that a few days at Farm Sanctuary was a lot more powerful and life affirming for me. It's just a vegan, animal loving paradise.

Room Tip: There's only 3 cabins and they are all in a row. One has an accessible ramp, but other than that, they all appear to be the same.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank valsthegal
Reviewed May 16, 2012

some people love animal to EAT, some people love animal with respect, NOT for eat.
Too many people are just willfully ignorant including myself about the food animal's capability and how they are treated in our society. We tend to lose the our judgement to other species especially the ones we eat and torture. And what we do is to try to protect our pleasure of taste, which I found it very odd looking back how I was. I used to say "I don't care about pigs and cows, like I do cats and dogs. that's why I don't have any guilt feeling to eat them, they are disgusting!!!"

Nothing is elitist than be able to justify other sentent-being's suffering and death to your dinner table. This is my view after I visited Farm Sanctuary. I used to be a omnivore, who loves my pets, but ate other animals. Thank you so much Farm sanctuary to make my eyes really opened. I am vegan 4 weeks now. It's amazing to live guilt free lives. ALL animals came from mother's womb, and ALL mother loves their babies. (human, non human)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple