“Absolutely loved it!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
PA
“Absolutely loved it!”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I must say this is a beautiful hotel and has a wonderfully central location to the region's wineries. We really enjoyed our stay - the hotel has beautiful rooms (spend a little extra for the lakeview - it is truly worth it to see the sun setting over the water) with quality furnishing and linens. One other thing - the candles in the lobby by the elevators are awesome - great fragrance when they are not even burning - had to take a peak to see where they got them from - the details in their designs were great - will definitely be back for another stay!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Elmira, New York
Reviewed April 23, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel the night before Easter. First I called to ask if I could check in early and was told that it would be no problem. Unfortunately my plans changed and I was unable to get in early and had to rush to my destination. When I showed up at almost 10pm I was met by not one but two friendly concierge. When I told them my name the young lady, Mary, gave me a package that had been left for me by a friend and colleague that was crucial to my Easter plans. I was quickly given my key. I hadn't eaten yet so I rushed to the bar hoping to get a late night snack. Although the kitchen was closing in minutes my order was rushed in and I was soon enjoying a wonderful tomato, fresh Mozzarella and basil salad with a well made martini. My kind of night cap! It was an unusually warm night so I ate out on the patio and enjoyed the amazing view. When I first stepped into the room I was wowed by every aspect. The Hotel was about a year old but showed no signs of wear and was as spotless as any room I have ever stayed in. I had a king size room with a lake view and it did not disappoint! I opened the window to enjoy the "sounds of Seneca" and was soon off to dream land while watching an old movie on the flat screen television. I woke early to the sounds of the water and an occasional sea gull. I wanted to make sure I was able to take advantage of every amenity offered by the Hotel and although I had forgotten a swim suit I peeked in and saw it was, like everything else in the hotel, spectacular. I did use the gym and was thrilled with the equipment almost as much as the view from the gym itself. The only thing I regret about the stay is that I didn't plan long enough to really enjoy the Hotel or the area. Sigh:) I can tell you that I will plan to stay at the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel again in the near future.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Shane012
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 21, 2010

The hotel bar and restaurant was great. Good food, good services, friendly prices. I'm from NYC and met my mom from Syracuse here for a girls weekend of wine and rest. It was wonderful. I'm glad that I went during the off season as I can only imagine how busy the hotel must get. The rooms were very clean and cozy. The bathroom was large and the shower was amazing. I personally liked the vantity in my room where I could sit and get ready and my mom's favorite part was the window seat where she could look out at the water and have her coffee. The hotel was in walking distance of Watkins Glen although the town itself doesn't have much. It was easy to get around and you're in a good place in relation to things going on around the lake.
If you're in for a night scene this really isn't the place but it is very relaxing and has a lot of day activities.
The hotel restaurant's chef is great and he believes that no meal is complete without chocolate. Every meal was complimented with chocolate dipped cherries. And to top it off the wine is constatnly pouring at good prices and big glasses!

• Stayed April 2010
Albany, NY
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Spouse and I decided to go tour the wineries in the Finger Lakes region and couldn't decided whether to stay here or at the Inn at Glenora--both were recommended by friends. Based on a great package at this hotel ( 3 nights for price of 2), and the photos on their website, we chose it over Glenora and were so glad we did! We did splurge on an Admiral's suite and were completely spoiled . Maybe it was the time of year, but it was very quiet inside the room (little outside noise) and since it is less than 2 years old, it was immaculate. It seems like they really tried to think of everything one would like in a suite--we especially liked the 360 layout with entrances to the huge bathroom from both the entrance hall and the bedroom. We only had one room service breakfast the last morning and it was perfect and on time. The staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Only negatives that might turn some off--there are train tracks between the hotel and the harbor, but the train only runs between 2 salt mines on each side of town and never at night and rarely during the day, so no problem. It was very easy to access the docks and harbor area directly from the rear of the hotel. If you are really into TV, the reception on the large LG flat screen TV's is just so-so--DVD players would be a nice addition. We've never been fans of the LG brand and unless there is HD service it seems that picture quality really suffers the larger the TV is. Another strange thing is that the satellite channels offered only have the NYC news channels--nothing local (how about a token Syracuse or Binghamton station). We always like to hear what is happening around the areas we are staying. Since we kept busy during the day, we were too tired to care that much about TV at night. We also would have preferred solid panel doors between the bedroom and the living room as the translucent panels allowed light and more sound from the living room when one of us preferred to stay up later than the other. All in all though, we would go back in a heartbeat!

A note about the Inn at Glenora: We did a wine tasting there and the host is rather glum--not friendly like at all the other wineries we visited--maybe just an off day for him. Also at lunch I got what I assume was a shell particle from the crabcake sandwich stuck in my throat for a while, which ruined the whole experience. The rooms on their website look dated and there doesn't appear to be any suites.

Lancaster County, PA
Reviewed April 12, 2010

This was our first time to stay at this beautiful hotel on Seneca Lake. We were here in the off-season and had a wonderful room with a balcony overlooking the lake. Everything is fresh and new and very nicely decorated. It's immaculately clean. The lobby is very attractive, hallways bright. TV is a large HDTV. Free wireless internet service was fast and simple to get connected. The bathroom had a great shower - no tub - and a pretty granite sink top. Just outside the bathroom is a vanity table with good lighting and again a granite top. Staff members were unusually friendly and attentive. Without fail, every person on staff greeted us as we passed by and were quick to offer help when asked.

The room price (because of the low season, I'm sure) was very reasonable. We did not eat in the restaurant. The prices seemed a bit high as is usually the case in the restaurant of a nice resort hotel.

We were happy to find this hotel to use as a base for our tours of the Seneca Lake wineries and our walks through Watkins Glen. The town itself is nothing to write home about, but the hotel staff made it a very pleasant stay. We would be very happy to return to this hotel for a longer stay. Highly recommended.

lititz, pa
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This hotel was the most beautiful in the area of Watkins Glen, NY. The room and the cleanliness and design of the hotel were outstanding, as was the view of the lake. However, the customer service/concierge service of the hotel wasn't good. We asked if there was a public launch to ride our jetski and they looked at us like we were crazy. My boyfriend said to me "They know there's a lake out front right?" It took them ten minutes to make some phone calls and we finally suggested that they call the marina next store and they then found out we could use their launch. When we went out back, the launch was DIRECTLY in back of the hotel!!!!!! Then, the third day of our stay, we realized that they had compeimentary coffee in the dining room each morning. There was no coffee-maker in the room and no one told us about the coffee in the morning. Third, we were looking forward to using the pool and the hot tub and when we arrived, they said they were both being renovated. None of the rooms here have bath tubs except for the four suites. So, we couldn't even take a bath! The restaurants was said to be great but very pricey. I did order room service one night and the turkey sandwich wasn't even deli meat, it was some sort of processed meat.

We were looking for some things to do in the area and we realized the last day of our visit that there was a bowling alley next door that we might have gone to if we had realized it was there! It would have been nice if they had told us some of the available activities iin the area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Valley Forge, PA
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband was on business and the rest of our family was there for fun. The hotel was fantastic. The staff was friendly and informative. The rooms were very nice and the beds were extremely comfortable. The bathrooms had everything you needed. The restaurant was pricey but there are plenty of great places to eat in Watkins Glenn so that wasn't a issue. I wish they had coffee makers in the room, but it had everything else, including a wine opener. They closed the pool for maint the day after we checked in and my sons were very sad but again there was so much to do in the area that it wasn't an issue. It was a great family getaway.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Gorgeous View Motel
Gorgeous View Motel
#2 of 9 in Watkins Glen
The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars

Been to Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!