“Very nice, spotlessly clean hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel

Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Very nice, spotlessly clean hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

First of all let me note that all of the employees at the hotel are extremely helpful and courteous...especially Kevin at concierge who provided us with some great tips over the phone prior to our arrival. In addition, we had to cut our stay short and were not charged for the nights we were suppose to be there which was fantastic due to leaving with such short notice.
Now on to the hotel itself. It is only 5 years old but the rooms were so clean it seemed as if we were the first to ever stay in these rooms. We had a lake view room that was just fabulous. The rooms are very spacious with a nice size bathroom and a makeup/vanity area that is separate from the bathroom. Plenty of hangers and extra pillows. Also a mini refrigerator in the room for your use. Previously posted travelers photos are accurate. Coffee is provided on each floor in the morning.
The hotel is in a good location... the base of Seneca Lake which is a good kick off point, but other than the hotel, there is really nothing around. There are no other decent hotels anywhere in the immediate area. There is nowhere decent to eat within walking distance, even though the "town" is right outside the hotel's doors. The good thing is that the marina is basically attached to the property out back for a boat ride, but that is it....the town itself has nothing. Wine tours will pick up at the hotel...highly recommend the tour that the hotel recommends..."Experience! The Finger Lakes."
The grounds are kept up meticulously...extremely well manicured. There is a decent restaurant for the area, with inside and outdoor patio seating which is directly across from the lake. In addition there is one outdoor fire pit that always had guests sitting around for cocktails outside on cool nights (wish there was one more). We also found out that some locals come there for drinks at night and sit near this pit, which made me wish for one more on the large property. There is an indoor pool and Jacuzzi with towels provided poolside. The only thing missing in this hotel was a spa/massage spot.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and nice...lake view is beautiful, and the point of staying here correct?
1 Thank JC4Ever

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here with my wife over the week of 4th of July. This hotel is impeccably clean! It's a perfect location to visit the wineries around Seneca Lake and Lake Cayuga. It's about a 45 minute trip east to Ithaca and about half hour to 40 minutes from Lake Keuka. Hardwood floors throughout room. Big rooms. Huge bathrooms (which made my wife really happy). Comfortable beds. Minimal to no noise, both inside and outside of hotel at night. It's a brand new hotel, it must only be a year or two old. It's sooooooo clean!!! The maid service is excellent. The hotel bar/restaurant downstairs has great food and generous drinks (average of about $20-$30 per dish and drinks around $8-$10)--try their crab cakes and/or their burger, it's really good. Believe me, try finding other hotels in the area that are even close to this quality, you won't find any. Free parking at hotel. Free internet. Free gym (although never used it). Free coffee in hallway by elevator every morning (no free breakfasts here though, no big deal). Hotel connects in back to walkway and dock overlooking Seneca Lake, which is really pretty at sunset. We didn't opt for "lakeview" room (we went with City view) because we didn't want to pay the extra $50 each night when we could just walk right outside in the back and see the lake ourselves. This really is an amazing find. Seriously, search around on the internet for other hotels in the area and you won't find any that have comparable amenities, ratings and proximity to anything. We are in our early 30's and went up for romantic weekend/winery getaway FYI.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank devils107
Mount Union, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time to the area. I read the reviews and decided to stay at the Harbor Hotel as it known by. My husband and I were delighted. I'll admit that at first I booked a room without a patio because of the price. I kept reading the reviews that said to get one with a patio overlooking the marina. I called back a couple of weeks later and upgraded to a Commodore Suite. It was well worth extra money! We were at the end of the hallway away from the noise of the elevators. The suite was luxurious and huge. The bathroom was so spacious with the stand-up shower and jacuzzi tun. We enjoyed sitting on the patio at night looking at the lights in the marina so much too! Everyone that worked in the hotel was friendly and helpful. You cannot go wrong here. And if you can swing the extra money for a room with patio overlooking the marina, you won't regret it!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cheryl_1960
Portage, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for the NASCAR weekend race and really enjoyed this hotel. The staff was very polite and the check-in was smooth. Rooms are nice and large with well appointed bathrooms. Beds were very comfortable. I had a room overlooking the front of the hotel, but ones towards the back had nice lake views. The bar has a good selection of local and other wines. Overall it was a nice time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RNP1969
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding and the hotel was beautiful. The rooms were clean and the housekeeping staff very accommodating. If you get the option to have a lake view room I also highly recommend it!

With all that said, I did have some bad experiences with the staff. When we checked in, I told the front desk supervisor, Matthew, that the bill would be split but gave him my card for checkin purposes. He seemed very impersonal during the entire checkin process. I had other interactions with him throughout my stay and he always seemed in a bad mood.

The next day I went to the restaurant and had lunch. It was delicious and the servers were very helpful. I asked for 7 champagne glasses for the bridal party and the server said he would get his manager for me. When she came over she seemed annoyed that I was asking for them and was pretty rude. I did end up getting the glasses but didn't appreciate the attitude.

Later that evening my cousin and I went back to the desk to put her credit card on the reservation as well and I was told that the room was already fully charged to my card, even after I told them it was to be split. They refunded my card and I added my cousins name to the room in case she needed access to the reservation and I wasn't with her. That night she went to the desk again to get a new key because she left hers in the room. She had to find me, which took 20 minutes, because they wouldn't give her a key. I came to the desk and asked the clerk why he wouldn't give her one. He told me that she needed to give him my address, which she didn't remember. I told him that she should have been added to the reservation and his response was "Oh, I didn't look that far into your reservation." So for no reason at all he wasted both of our time because he was too lazy to look at the reservation properly. Then he said with an attitude "Make sure you don't put it near your cell phone." We went back to the room and went to bed at this point.

The next morning we went to breakfast at the restaurant. We sat inside and it had a nice decor. Unfortunately, no one came to give us drinks or get our order for 15 minutes. And my being as unlucky as I am the person who came over was the same manager from the previous day who was upset that I bothered her for champagne glasses. She took our drink order and then left. After about another 10 minutes she came back to take our food order. My cousin asked what kinds of cheese they had and she rolled her eyes and named about five or six then said with an attitude "I can go on if you want." When the food came out we were pleased with the taste.

Shortly after that we packed our bags and went to the desk to checkout. When we told them what room we were in they said that all the charges were put on my card, again! I got a little upset and asked the front desk agent if no notes were put on my reservation. She said she didn't see any. So again they had to refund my card and it took 20 minutes before we were able to leave and come home.

Overall the hotel is beautiful! The housekeeping staff and servers were great, friendly and polite. The desk needs some improvement with their customer service and bad attitudes. Seeing as I had bad experiences with supervisor and managers I would suggest more training or to get rid of them all together. If they can't be accommodating how can they expect their staff to be. I work in the hospitality industry and know how hard it can be but you always put the guest first, no matter whats going on. I wish I could have given this place a better score and review.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank jsnhumphrey
Carolyn G, General Manager at Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for allowing us to be your host during your recent visit to the Watkins Glen and for taking the time to share your experience. Feedback such as yours enables us to continue to evaluate our services and ensure we are delivering great guest experiences and for that, is much appreciated.

I am happy to hear you thought the hotel is beautiful and hope you enjoyed the wedding. I will be honored to share your compliments with our housekeeping team. However, I am terribly disappointed that your visit was less than acceptable and that you have left with a poor impression of us. Clearly, this is not what you or we had envisioned for your stay and we wholeheartedly appreciate each and every guest. We constantly strive to provide a restful, relaxing, enjoyable stay, and to provide each guest with exceptional service. I am sorry that we failed to impart that service to you. I have reviewed your comments with the appropriate department managers, who always welcomes suggestions for improvement.

Again, I would like to thank you for articulating the details of your experience. It is through communication, such as yours, that we are better able to monitor and improve services for our guests.

I hope that the Harbor Hotel will continue to be your hotel of choice when visiting the Finger Lakes Region.

Carolyn Guyer
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Harbor Hotel. It is located right at the bottom of Lake Seneca. Lovely view, very comfortable rooms, friendly staff, and close to downtown Watkins Glen. Only thing missing was complementary breakfast. They do offer free coffee and tea on each floor in the mornings. Plus a local paper at your door. Would come again.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view of the lake to watch the beautiful sunsets.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pam V
richmond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

If there's any way that you can spend time at this hotel, I say Go For It! Compared to any other hotel in the area, this 1 is exceptional. The entire hotel, from entrance, to rooms, to outdoor space, rates 10 stars! It's so refreshing & unlike any typical hotel we've been in, including some boutique, fancy places. The staff is unbeatable - their friendliness & helpfulness is unsurpassed.
Morning coffee on each floor was a great touch. The back faces the marina with plenty of space to sit & soak in the gorgeous views. Grab a drink or enjoy dinner on the back patio & you'll be very happy. We ate dinner next door - a fabulous restaurant.
The town of Watkins Glen surprised us. Many people note that it isn't very quaint or pretty. We found it to be the opposite, excluding the town of Hammondsport. But, you can stroll down the Main Street & smile.
I wish we could have stayed at the Harbor Hotel longer, but they were booked solid. Leaving this slice of Heaven on Earth actually made us sad.
I highly recommend this hotel as your base for a trip to the FLX.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the marina are extraordinary. We faced the parking lot, but we didn't mind 1 bit.
3 Thank debbie05
The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars
The Blackberry Inn B&B
The Blackberry Inn B&B
#1 of 17 in Watkins Glen

Been to Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!