“Amazing Hotel”

Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel was a little pricey but I am so glad we stayed here it was worth it. It is beautiful inside and out. Clean, quiet (which is so rare in a hotel), so comfortable and everyone who worked there was extremely friendly. It is the perfect location right on the water, we ate all on our meals on the water, got to hear bands playing at the neighboring restaurants and could walk to everything, town, and the state park. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brooke S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed at the harbor hotel for our first stay at the finger lakes. The hotel was awesome and walkable to resturants and downtown Watkins Glenn. I recommend upgrading to the harbor view room the harbor is beautiful at all times. We only have one complaint: on July fourth the surrounding area converged on the tip of the lake for fireworks. When we returned from dinner, there was not parking available for paying guests. I told the front desk, they were aware of the issue and were happy to let me know this occurs every July fourth. A minor inconvience, but at such a nice hotel we expect more.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Cork720
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Second time here, not the last. I stay in town when I go do some lapping events at the track. Service is impeccable. It's clean, friendly and comfortable. Apart from an in room safe, everything else is there. A1 staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Antoine L
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a one-night anniversary get-away, our first getaway without the children. The hotel looked lovely online, and it did not disappoint. We arrived a little early, too early to check-in, so we enjoyed a beautiful lunch and some drinks on the patio, overlooking the lake, while waiting for our room to be ready. Our room was large, modern, and clean. We enjoyed our second floor balcony, overlooking the lake, and the sounds of the soft jazz music playing from the landscape speakers. We spent a leisurely morning sitting out there, drinking the complimentary coffee, reading the complimentary Sunday newspaper, and enjoying the views. The grounds were well kept, and we enjoyed walking around them, out onto the dock and the break wall. We also really liked the fact that the toiletries were eco friendly and paraben free. We ate dinner at Blue Pointe Grille and enjoyed that as well, and afterwards had a couple beers in the Cold Water Bar while watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs. There was also a tv outside showing the game, and a nice little campfire to sit around. We did not use the fitness room or pool area, but they looked nice. The free wifi worked great.

Room Tip: We thought the balcony was well worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TrpReviwr
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I went up to Seneca Lake and spent one night here, another at the Glenora Inn. This was the MUCH better of the two. Beautiful rooms, close to everything to walk to, nice patio to sit out on where they bring you drinks. Would definitely do this again.

Room Tip: They have rooms with patios . . . you don't need it. They have a nice patio with a fire pit out...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boneill81
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I recently stayed in Watkins Glen for the Spring Wine and Cheese festival. I have to say that it was a great experience all around. The hotel is a beautiful property located at a marina right on the lake. I have never been to Seneca Lake before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but after being there I can honestly say that this is by far the best hotel option on the lake. The property is very clean and well appointed. The décor has a nice yacht club/ beachy feel to it. The hotel has a heated pool and outdoor fire pit overlooking the water. They also have a nice restaurant onsite. The restaurant, while nice, would be the only complaint I have about this hotel.
On a Saturday night I went to the restaurant with a large group, almost everyone in the group had the chicken dish. It was so spicy (as in tear producing spicy) no one in the group could eat it. The one person that did had a very bad stomach ache. The waiter saw that no one ate their meals and asked if it was that it was too spicy, when we said yes, he told us that everyone constantly returns that dish because of the spiciness. We asked him why he didn't warn us and he replied that he thought we could read. First of all the comment was just flat out rude, comments like that are not what you expect from a restaurant in this price range. Not only was it rude, it was just plain silly since the menu did not mention the spice, only the fact that an ingredient was "cherry pepper". No one in the group was familiar with cherry pepper and assumed it was a sweet pepper, not a pepper that would burn a hole through your stomach lining. Despite our negative experience of paying quite a bit of money for a meal that was literally inedible, I would still recommend the restaurant since there aren't really any fine dining restaurants anywhere in the area, the restaurant has a nice fireside ambience and the food seemed to be of good quality. I would just recommend staying far away from the chicken dish if you don't have an extremely high tolerance for spicy foods. (side note to management: you should really put a note on the menu as well as train your servers better, so as to not distract from an otherwise nice dining experience.)
Anyway, while the restaurant experience was kind of bad, the rest of the hotel was top notch. I really liked the touches of the morning newspaper outside your door and fresh coffee in the hallway. The showers are incredible spa type showers. Another great thing about the hotel is the concierge service. As I said, we were in Watkins Glen for the Seneca Lake Spring Wine and Cheese festival. There are no shuttles to the wineries and no taxis in Watkins Glen, so unless you have a designated driver, you need to hire a car service. I spent quite a bit of time looking on the internet for a fairly priced car service, then I finally called the concierge at the hotel and they got us a nice car at a much better price then I was able to find on the internet.
Last bit of advice: if you are considering booking this hotel for a festival weekend, book well in advance. We waited until the last minute and the price went up very significantly.

Room Tip: If you are considering booking this hotel for a festival weekend, book well in advance. We waited un...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank speri337
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Harbor Hotel a while ago with our children and just recently as a getaway for the two of us. Both times were good experiences. Since our first stay, the price per night doubled. It seems like the establishment has figured out that they are the only true full service hotel in the area. Despite the price and some members of the staff being a bit snooty at times, we would still go back and stay. The rooms were modern and clean. The roman style showers are very nice and if you decide to pay the upgrade to the lake front room, the view is superb!

We also ate at the restaurant a few times. I would not bother with lunch there as there are a few other less pricy luncheons within walking distance. However, the dinner menu offers a variety and some unique selections. The wine offering is very good as it should be considering you are staying in the heart of wine country. And if you stay up a little late and want to relax outside, they have a nice outdoor fire pit with seating lakeside.

Harbor Hotel is close to all of the little shops, boat rides, and a block away from the vintage movie theater in town. It is a longer walk to the famous Watkins Glen State Park (a must in the summertime!).

Overall, great place to stay!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have best view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Elmira / Corning
Staybridge Suites Corning
19 mi away
Radisson Hotel Corning

Been to Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!