“Best place in Watkins Glen”

Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I went up to Seneca Lake and spent one night here, another at the Glenora Inn. This was the MUCH better of the two. Beautiful rooms, close to everything to walk to, nice patio to sit out on where they bring you drinks. Would definitely do this again.

Room Tip: They have rooms with patios . . . you don't need it. They have a nice patio with a fire pit out...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank boneill81
There are newer reviews for Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I recently stayed in Watkins Glen for the Spring Wine and Cheese festival. I have to say that it was a great experience all around. The hotel is a beautiful property located at a marina right on the lake. I have never been to Seneca Lake before, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but after being there I can honestly say that this is by far the best hotel option on the lake. The property is very clean and well appointed. The décor has a nice yacht club/ beachy feel to it. The hotel has a heated pool and outdoor fire pit overlooking the water. They also have a nice restaurant onsite. The restaurant, while nice, would be the only complaint I have about this hotel.
On a Saturday night I went to the restaurant with a large group, almost everyone in the group had the chicken dish. It was so spicy (as in tear producing spicy) no one in the group could eat it. The one person that did had a very bad stomach ache. The waiter saw that no one ate their meals and asked if it was that it was too spicy, when we said yes, he told us that everyone constantly returns that dish because of the spiciness. We asked him why he didn't warn us and he replied that he thought we could read. First of all the comment was just flat out rude, comments like that are not what you expect from a restaurant in this price range. Not only was it rude, it was just plain silly since the menu did not mention the spice, only the fact that an ingredient was "cherry pepper". No one in the group was familiar with cherry pepper and assumed it was a sweet pepper, not a pepper that would burn a hole through your stomach lining. Despite our negative experience of paying quite a bit of money for a meal that was literally inedible, I would still recommend the restaurant since there aren't really any fine dining restaurants anywhere in the area, the restaurant has a nice fireside ambience and the food seemed to be of good quality. I would just recommend staying far away from the chicken dish if you don't have an extremely high tolerance for spicy foods. (side note to management: you should really put a note on the menu as well as train your servers better, so as to not distract from an otherwise nice dining experience.)
Anyway, while the restaurant experience was kind of bad, the rest of the hotel was top notch. I really liked the touches of the morning newspaper outside your door and fresh coffee in the hallway. The showers are incredible spa type showers. Another great thing about the hotel is the concierge service. As I said, we were in Watkins Glen for the Seneca Lake Spring Wine and Cheese festival. There are no shuttles to the wineries and no taxis in Watkins Glen, so unless you have a designated driver, you need to hire a car service. I spent quite a bit of time looking on the internet for a fairly priced car service, then I finally called the concierge at the hotel and they got us a nice car at a much better price then I was able to find on the internet.
Last bit of advice: if you are considering booking this hotel for a festival weekend, book well in advance. We waited until the last minute and the price went up very significantly.

Room Tip: If you are considering booking this hotel for a festival weekend, book well in advance. We waited un...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank speri337
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed at the Harbor Hotel a while ago with our children and just recently as a getaway for the two of us. Both times were good experiences. Since our first stay, the price per night doubled. It seems like the establishment has figured out that they are the only true full service hotel in the area. Despite the price and some members of the staff being a bit snooty at times, we would still go back and stay. The rooms were modern and clean. The roman style showers are very nice and if you decide to pay the upgrade to the lake front room, the view is superb!

We also ate at the restaurant a few times. I would not bother with lunch there as there are a few other less pricy luncheons within walking distance. However, the dinner menu offers a variety and some unique selections. The wine offering is very good as it should be considering you are staying in the heart of wine country. And if you stay up a little late and want to relax outside, they have a nice outdoor fire pit with seating lakeside.

Harbor Hotel is close to all of the little shops, boat rides, and a block away from the vintage movie theater in town. It is a longer walk to the famous Watkins Glen State Park (a must in the summertime!).

Overall, great place to stay!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have best view
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clc1972
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed at this hotel recently while leading a group of touring motorcyclists. Just a truly outstanding experience in every way. Friendly, helpful staff. An excellent restaurant and lounge. Great location overlooking the harbor. The Director of Sales went out of her way to insure we had an exceptional stay....from greeting us at the hotel entrance to providing cleaning rags for our very wet motorcycles. A "5 Star" hotel experience!
PJ

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank koukee23
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is truly one of the nicest places to stay in Watkins Glen. Rooms are lovely and view of the lake and harbor are unmatched. Plus the convenience to downtown area is great for walking around town. We have stayed many places around the lake, but staying at the Harbor Hotel makes for a very memorable visit.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed in a room with a king-sized bed and balcony facing the lake. My parents stayed one floor down in a similar room, though with two double beds. Both rooms were lovely. The service and staff were so professional and friendly. Everyone was smiling and friendly and always asked us how we were doing. There was free coffee on each floor in the morning. The lake views were superb.
We ate in the hotel restaurant one night, and it was okay. Another evening, we went to the restaurant next door, which was a step up. Our friends ate at the restaurant next door three times on their trip. So, even if you don't fancy The Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel restaurant, it's a short stone's throw for another option.
Two days in a row we went hiking in the Glen Watkins gorge, which was also very close to the hotel. We also enjoyed Watkins Glen's lovely, quaint downtown. We were in town for an event at Cornell University, which is ~25 miles away. It was a picturesque drive that we made many times.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently stayed here while participating at race. What a nice experience. From the time I walked in, the staff was very attentive to making my stay enjoyable. The rooms were light and clean. I know it's a little thing but I really liked the turn down service at night. (I ran into the turn down service staff one night and they were extremly pleasant and they really do play a part in making a visitor's stay memorable!) It must be a Watkins Glenn thing but all the hotels around there don't offer in room coffe makers by this hotel does the next best thing and put a coffee service by the elevators on each floor so at least you don't have to go far for a cup of morning Joe. The bath room was huge with a walk in shower and jacuzzi bath. Well lit and plenty of towels were available. The TV was a large HD unit and the channel lineup was extensive. The internet access was easy, fast and free.

I ate at the restaurant and the Delmonico steak special was outstanding. I had cocktails each night and met people there each time who were locals so even the people who live in the area frequent this place. The view is outstanding showing the entire stretch of Senneca Lake. It's expensive but I felt it worth it.

Room Tip: The best rooms were facing the Lake but my room had the "village" view which wasn't ba...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars
Chieftain Motel
Chieftain Motel
#8 of 9 in Watkins Glen

Been to Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!