“Beautiful, interesting views the entire hike”

Watkins Glen State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: The cascades of 18 waterfalls are the calling card of this state park.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I hiked about a mile in with the husband and one year old daughter. Lots of steps (well, all steps) so there was no way we could use a stroller. For the little ones, I highly recommend a hiker backpack. Good shoes a must. Also, suggest carpooling as you are charged $8 per car (not per person). A nice, easy day in Watkins Glen!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,516)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a place that belongs on everyone's bucket list. The views are amazing, and the trails are very well maintained. There is a lot of climbing up stairs, but we saw people of all ages enjoying the park and at no point did we feel over-exerted. We were able to enjoy the gorge in a 2 hour stop on our way home, but there was much more to see and will be back!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

To me this ranks with Niagara Falls but not as commercial. Your right in with nature hiking up the gorge. If you like nature walks and your in the area see and walk the gorge.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was a real pleasant surprise. I have occasionally taken hikes to see scenic gorges or waterfalls, and often they turn out to be mildly disappointing. Often it's a long walk through featureless forest only to come across the one interesting scene or waterfall, often inundated with camera-clicking people.

Not in this case. If you start at the bottom of the gorge, you get surrounded with great views right away, and these continue through the length of the walk. Lots of places to stand and admire the views, including the cliffs, the river-carved rock , and of course the waterfalls.
My only complaint, and that is a very small one, is the $3 charge for bus shuttle. For the price of admission, I believe something that like this have been included.
Overall a great experience. Much credit to the NY Park Service for maintaining the place well so well.

3  Thank carleroo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I made the trek through the Watkins Glen Gorge. The views along the way are absolutely stunning. Unusual rock formations, beautiful and refreshing water falls, etc. Bring your camera. Nice and cool on a hot day, too. It's a bit of a physical workout, though. I would advise caution for those with physical limitations. It's two mile miles long with over 800 steps up along the Gorge Trail. It's a little easier walk on the way back using the downward sloping Indian Trail. I personally think walking up the rocky surface on the Indian Trail would be more difficult than climbing the stairs on the Gorge Trail. Remember to take some drinking water with you as there are no places to acquire any along the way. There are rest facilities at either end of the trails. I definitely recommend experiencing this great natural wonder.

1  Thank Ken D