“Not really pet-friendly & filled with carpenter ants”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watkins Glen
Admiral Peabody's Lakeside Lodging
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Me, my boyfriend and our two small dogs were really excited to leave the city (Brooklyn) for our ONLY summer vacation. We can't really get away too often and thought the price and location looked fair. We were excited to enjoy Farm Sanctuary and the wineries around the lake and to just relax in a quiet lakeside spot. Long story short, we arrived and were setting up our cozy cabin when my boyfriend starting noticing giant ants with wings inside. He smashed about a dozen before I saw a few and freaked out. The owners, Olga & Jeff had just arrived home from dinner when we decided we were uncomfortable staying there and advised them of the problem. Immediately they insisted we stay in the other cabin (a "major" upgrade according to Olga who's breath smelled like a distillery) because they'd been having problems with carpenter ants and they ensured us they'd take care of it. Before we knew what was going on Jeff and she dragged our stuff down to another cabin so they could fumigate the next morning. While our stuff was being moved I learned that we would only be staying in the new place one night, meaning we'd have to move back to our fumigated cabin the next day. I was very upset because while I realize these things happen, I didn't like having to shift our stuff around since vacation is supposed to be relaxing and this was anything but that, not to mention that we'd be breathing in chemical fumes. They also promised to help us move stuff back the next day, but both of them were so drunk it just made the situation even more bizarre.

To top things off, the following morning, Jeff told us that we wouldn't be allowed to leave our dogs next time we wanted to leave the "compound" because they barked while we were at dinner the night before. In all fairness, the dogs had just traveled 6 hours and had been in 2 different houses (the 2nd one was next to another cabin and the dogs could hear them outside so of course they were anxious). This notice put a major wrench in our plans since we wanted to go to Farm Sanctuary, wineries and dinners and obviously couldn't take the dogs to those places.

I read the review about the person who was charged for their stay even though Olga canceled part of it first and I have to say I'm not surprised (they also conveniently forgot to help us schlep our stuff back up to our first cabin). It seems as though they drink their way through the summer and it's almost a shock that things were so neat and clean. Overall, it just made me sad that we spent our money and time not relaxing at all, but being anxious. I mean, they didn't even cut us a break on the night of inconvenience that we endured and the time we wasted. After having to rent a car (which isn't cheap) and driving into this situation I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank bkartteacher

Reviewed July 28, 2010

We returned to Admiral Peabody's for a two night getaway and again we were not disappointed. Our cabin room was clean and well equiped with microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker. Jeff & Olga go out of their way to make sure your expectations are met and they add a personal touch to each room. The best part is the lake view from the deck and sunsets viewed from the private, lakeside dock. This place is a breath of fresh air from the usual hotel accommodations. We will be back again and again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2010

I stayed here with a friend for her 30th birthday. We had an amazing time. The cottage (#3) was very comfortable and clean. The dock was beautiful and the location was perfect. Our reason for traveling was to visit Farm Sanctuary but we found out that the cottage was also close to tons of wineries, state parks with beautiful waterfalls and really quaint little towns. The owner, Olga was also really great. Very friendly and accommodating - we forgot things behind and she posted them to us right away. I would highly recommend that anyone stay here either for a weekend away by the water or to sight see around upstate NY.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2009

My young adult son even loved this place! What a wonderful place to stay on vacation! Loved the dock area! The swing on the dock was hard to leave! The deck on our cottage was awesome. I sat out there every am drinking my tea & it was great to cook out! The fire pit was nice & we enjoyed chatting w/ the other guests.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We're drove into Watkins Glen looking for somewhere to stay and after checking out a couple of places (Habor Hotel - too expensive, the Budget Inn - too dodgy, the Tudor Rose B&B - too cranky, Anchor Inn - expensive for a budget room) we were lucky to drive a bit out of town and find this fantastic spot and it's friendly owner - Olga.

We stayed in a two bedroom cottage with lake view. It was warm, cozy and had everything we needed and a beautiful view over the lake (that looked magical in the morning light with a thin veil of hanging mist). This looked like it would be a lot of fun in the summer with a series of lakeside decks, kayaks, fishing rods and sun loungers.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank DoctorRock
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I would like to say that this is a top notch quality inn at a working mans price.
The owners are the sweetest people who go out of their way to make you feel like family.
The cost of the rooms vary by which type of room you choose, you can have a romantic get away or bring your family, Olga (the owner) makes you feel like this is your personal cottage and not a business they are people who understand that your family is first, Weather you rent a cottage or a room .The views of the lake are terriffic and the whole experience is one you will never forget and you will want to return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2008

I just booked a few days ago for a Friday, Saturday and Sunday in mid-August 2009 and was told by Olga's husband, Jeff, that the long weekend we needed was available for both 2 bedroom units. Just received a call from Olga stating she cannot accommodate our party of 8 in the 2 adjoining units because someone else comes and stays for 2 weeks at the same time of year. Her husband told me the entire long weekend was wide open. Obviously she had a better offer for for someone staying more than just 3 days. I told her to forget it and my credit card had better not be charged when we don't show up next year.

Stayed: August 2008