“a treat!”

Restaurant Le Ciel d'Or
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Owner Rogier van den Biggelaar is also the Chef for the ‘Ciel d’Or’ restaurant and proposes a ‘Dégustation Unique’ formula : 5 courses freshly prepared and consisting of seasonal produce as well as local specialties with his own quirky version of each. He personally introduces his choices to his guests and comes up with the appropriate wines from his excellent wine cellar.
“a treat!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Had the tasting menu here. It was sublime, it was a soup starter, I can't remember exactly what the soup was now but it was so delicate and bursting with flavour, I remember there was coriander in it but unfortunately I can't remember much else about the ingredients, however that doesn't mean it was forgettable! I tend to find soups a bit boring but this was anything but! Then we had carpaccio of scallops, something I was a bit anxious about but again, a taste sensation, so well thought out, delicate and quite honestly a culinary adventure, each forkful holding a new and exciting combination of flavours. The chef explained most courses to us and it was great to hear the story and philosophy behind each well though out course. The chicken main was lovely and the crazy pink rose flavoured dessert, even I appreciated and I don't tend to like sweets. Also the cheese was well chosen and the wines selected for each course complimented the dishes perfectly. I left this meal feeling like a ten year old who has just been to Disneyland and had the best time. It was new, exciting and delicious. It is pricey but for food that good that is the going rate. It shouldn't be long before they get one or two michelin stars.

• Visited February 2013

London
“Not just great food”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We have eaten at this restaurant many times and now that the co-owner Roger is in the kitchen it's turning out some of the best food I've eaten in France. Inside the setting is really lovely. Outside is a bit industrial but you only eat outside if the sun is shining so probably won't notice. This visit we had the set lunch menu; there is no choice but for non red meat eaters they will usually find an alternative - I suggest you check what's on before you eat. Also it can get busy at certain times of the year so it's worth booking. The set lunch is 20 euros and we had a pork main and a trio of puds: raspberry smoothy, tiramasu and a pana cotta. You also get a selection of breads with different butters and oil, a coffee and a glass of wine. The pork was beautifully cooked and impeccable sourced. The desert was excellent and any of the three puds would have been enough on it's own.

Of an evening there is a four course menu for 55 euros. For the quality of food this is very good value. My only reservation is the price of the wines.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank harveyharvey
Oslo
“Great food, service and ambience”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The service was really great and very attentive, the chef came out to say hello and talk about the food, food and wine was super. If you're ever in Mirepoix you should give it a go! You have to book in advance, I think.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Epipremnum A
North London
“One of the best meals ever”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were staying for a few days at the hotel Relais Royal attached to this restaurant. Having eaten the set menu the chef suggested something different for the following evening.

Trust this chef - he knows what he's doing.

Foie gras, pan fried with local cherries and apricots.
Pigeon, breasts pan fired, the thighs cooked in tarragon butter, spinach and hazel nuts, braised leek.
A brandy snap basket containing the freshest of fruit salads marinaded in an spiced orange sauce.
Matched wines for the courses.
It was perfect. All the other diners were eating from the set menu - and I had not one shred of menu envy, just total satisfaction.
I had eaten the month before in le Gavroche in London - this meal outclassed it in every sense and was 40 euros a head.
Unbeatable!

• Visited July 2012
Hampshire, England
“A great eating experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I should start my saying I am veggie so a degustation menu in France is never usually an option! Here it was - even the amuse bouche for me were veggie. I should say we did give notice so suggest you don't turn up on the night expecting the same !

We sat on the terrace and enjoyed all the courses - the waitress explained them all to us as she served and they were great. hubby is not veggie and he loved his menu too.

Thoroughly recommended,