“Superb”

Restaurant Le Ciel d'Or
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Owner Rogier van den Biggelaar is also the Chef for the ‘Ciel d’Or’ restaurant and proposes a ‘Dégustation Unique’ formula : 5 courses freshly prepared and consisting of seasonal produce as well as local specialties with his own quirky version of each. He personally introduces his choices to his guests and comes up with the appropriate wines from his excellent wine cellar.
New York City, New York
“Superb”
Reviewed January 9, 2012

See my review of the hotel, the Relais Royal. All wonderful.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank batspaul24

Toulouse, France
“Elegance on Christmas Eve”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This year my husband and I decided to dine out for Christmas Eve here in France and as we only live 30 mins from the Le Ciel d'Or that was an easy decision. The restaurant is elegant French - with impecable service - not too fast or slow. For this special night the restaurant has a set menu of 6 courses - these included foie gras, grilled oysters, capon excellent cheese andfor desert, three different flavours of the French christmas tradition Bouche de Noel'. I was the driver - but my husband decided on the degustation wine selection for each course and was very impressed for his 20 euros. All in all we had a lovely relaxed evening with great food, great hosts and a fab setting. Only one small issue for us was that for some bizzare reason the owners had put 2 ipads in the restaurant for guest use - and that just did not fit the overall setting.

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank chiefluvvie
Moscow, Russia
“If you have only one night - go there, if you have more than one night go there twice!”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

First time we were in Mirepoix, we went to Le Ciel d'Or and I must say we did not expect a half of what we eventually got. The food was truly great, the host Gervin was extremely friendly, the chief Roger was incredibly nice and very creative, the wine tasting gave an excellent overview of local winemaking and the ambiance was very carefully organized. I can't tell you how much we enjoyed the first time! Now I don't know how many times we've been there since then. They delivered every time we visited them. It is an excellent experience nobody could afford to miss! And, Roger, the desert with nuts, creme and a spoon made of chocolate was a real bomb we want to explode in our mouths again and again! Thank you!

1 Thank Ermak
Paphos, Cyprus
“Not as great as we'd hoped”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Oh dear, I know I am going to seem like a party pooper, but the meal we had simply did not merit the ‘Excellent’ ratings that everyone else has given.

There is no a la carte option at Le Ciel d'Or. And no choice of dishes within the prix fixe menu. So a lot turns on whether you happen to like the chef's selection.

Our first course was a beautiful chilled cucumber soup. Then came a rather bland terrine of Mediterranean vegetables, followed by millefeuille pastry with sardines and fried onions (which really didn’t work at all). The main course was well-cooked quail, served with Bulgar wheat, which added nothing to the dish (it made me think of soggy popcorn).

The cheese course was the chef’s selection of three (presumably local) cheeses. They were introduced as “fromages de vache, brebis et chevre”. When we asked for a little more information, we were told that they were “cow, sheep and goat cheeses”, which didn’t take us much further forward! Nice cheeses, but I would have liked to know a bit more about them.

The meal ended on a high note, with a confection of dark chocolate and white nougat, accompanied by a very refreshing lime-and-mint ice cream.

Of our courses, I would score three as ‘Average’, one as ‘Very Good’ and two as ‘Excellent’. The ambience (eating outside in the courtyard) was very pleasant, the service was friendly and efficient (though not always particularly knowledgeable) and the €50 price tag is very reasonable for a six-course tasting menu. But none of this bumps it up beyond ‘Very Good’.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank Dickonbear
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, great setting.”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Whether you eat outside in the courtyard or inside in the elegant dining room, it's a memorable occasion. The food was imaginative and beautifully presented, and the service was attentive but unhurried. If we were in the area again we should certainly return.

• Visited May 2011