“Disappointed”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Pech Luna
“Disappointed”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited this restaurant as a party of 6 on the basis of good recommendations on Tripadvisor. The setting is lovely, and we ate in the courtyard. They have obviously spent quite a lot on the refurbishment, and management has some interesting ideas, including the self selection wine cellar. That is about where it stops though.
We were not greeted on arrival, but found our table with a reserved marker on it. The place was busy, but only half full. After 30 minutes we had not been offered drinks, water or a menu. We persevered. Eventually we managed to attract some attention and two of us were then escorted to the wine cellar to choose something. As I said, an interesting idea, but a wine list with some tasting notes would be a much better one.
After 45 minutes we managed to order. Hoorah. The menu is straightforward. Now 5 starters, 5 mains and 5 desserts. The food is simple, but not cheap. Our table had gazpacho with a lemon sorbet, which went down well. My foie gras was delicious, but the accompanying warm onion compote had obviously been warm for a very long time and was baked into its little dish. The salmon carpaccio was good, but beware of the tiny gob of unadvertised wasabi lurking on the corner of the plate.
On requesting the prawns with broad beans I was informed there were no broad beans, In due course the mains arrived. The steaks were huge, but accompanied only by a bowl of (I thought quite soggy) chips. The request for rare produced medium (unusual for France). Three of us ordered the rouget with chorizo. Half way through we realised there was no sign of any chorizo, and the remaining mash was a little undercooked, lumpy and bland. A complaint to the kitchen produced feedback that the chef had "forgotten" the chorizo. We should think ourselves lucky I suppose that he had not forgotten the rouget as well. strangely there were 5 broad beans on top of the mash: escapees from the prawn dish?
Desserts were basic. Of the 5 choices the creme brulee was unavailable, and the tepid chocolate fondant sat forlornly in a pool of creme anglaise. The rest was cheese and ice cream.
We paid 45 euros per head for very average food and very slow service. The management obviously has big ideas, but needs someone competent in the kitchen and some more front of house staff. Mirepoix had plenty of room for some good restaurants, but at the moment this isn't it.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank Julian S

SW France
“A Breath of French Air !”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

A recently opened restaurant and a refreshing change from others in Mirepoix. The menu is simple ( 3 starters , 3 mains , and 3 puddings ). All very good and the service is attentive without being overbearing. A really nice touch is the small wine cellar, there is no "wine list" but one goes down into a small wine cellar where you can browse the bottles and select ones wine (SOW ). The prices are clearly marked and the contents of the cellar change and the choice is again small but discerning. All in all , this is good news for Mirepoix . There is a small terrace outside which is surrounded by old walls and is atmospheric, the inside is clean, minimalistic and modern. One can watch the chef at work through a window and sometimes outside on a grill.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank JulesSWFrance
Mirepoix, France
“Tranquil and modern with French charm.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We took some guests here - using them as guinea pigs to try this new restaurant. Lovely setting out in the garden with excellent food, wine and service. It was perfect. Hope they do well, so we can go back. We only live minutes away!

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank suzij552
France
“What a find!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We knew that the Antika had been sold and that it was being "done up" by a new owner. When it opened we gave it a try at lunchtime. It was so good that a second visit was needed to be sure. The evening meal five days later was even better. I'd give it four and a half stars (if I could) because the first two courses were excellent but I couldn't rate the sweets as I didn't have one. Nice light Salade Italienne followed by the best entrecôte steak I've had in France in seven years of residence. With an excellent bottle of red Corbières which I picked in the cellar and carried to the table myself - a nice idea. Very friendly service. We started the meal outside but soon had to de-camp to the inside as the mozzies were out in force - it has been a very wet spring. Let's hope they all buzz off when the hot weather arrives.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Chris S
Dun, Ariege
“Mirepoix's newest restaurant”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Open for a few weeks on the same site as the old L'Antika, L'autre Jardin fills the gap between Ciel D'Or and the rest in Mirepoix. 3 starters , 3 mains and 3 desserts on the board- a breath of fresh air after the interminable lists on other restaurant menus. Starters were salade italienne, foix gras or caraccio de saumon, mains entrecote steak (can't remember when/if I have had a better one), filet of sea bream or magret de canard with a twist, desserts choc fondant, creme brulee and another. And here's a new wrinkle: no wine list, you are invited into the cellar to make your choice(s) of some pretty good value wines!! Friendly and efficient service. If they keep up the standard, I'm sure this restaurant will be a success and I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited June 2013