“Don't Be Fooled By The Cute Exterior” 2 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating
London, United Kingdom
“Don't Be Fooled By The Cute Exterior”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

As other reviewers have said, the location, exterior & interior decor etc is excellent, as were our starters. The mains however were inedible. Probably the driest, toughest duck confit in the world and this in the region that specialises in the dish. The steak was again, very poor.
I should have consulted trip advisor and/or engaged my brain before choosing this nightmare.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Michael H

“Kitchen meltdown!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

The atmosphere and decor are very good. We got to enjoy our starters but as soon as the orders started piling up the kitchen went into meltdown. We had to wait forty minutes and endure shouting matches in the kitchen before receiving our main. it wad such a shame as this restaurant has potential. I felt sorry for the nice waitress who was rushed off her feet because of the failing kitchen.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank kimcobb
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

We visited Mirepoix on a Friday evening in May, amazingly this was one of only two restaurants open in the town; we probably should have chosen the other one!

Service was good, a friendly lady was welcoming and attentive.

Most of the food was average at best, but my entrecôte steak was one of the worst I've had, certainly in France, chewy and incorrectly cooked, poor quality meat.

The restaurant lacks any atmosphere. We probably wouldn't bother again.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank AnneSteve04
Sydney
“OK, But Not Great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Mirepoix mid-week and out-of-season is a tough place for anyone wanting to eat out. All bar two restaurants were shut. Unable bear the thought of another meal at L'Imperial (see my review when I get around to it), we went to La Nina twice. Both times we were greeted by a warm welcome and cluttered but oddly attractive decor. The food was not good, and I don't understand the chef's abiding commitment to dried oregano. The damn stuff was everywhere! The foie gras was fine, but presented on top of a salad dressed with an acidic dressing that just did not work. The lasagne was acceptable but lacked a good bechamel sauce and the steak was what I think is called minute steak in Australia - a cheap cut of meat beaten into submission - accompanied by bad chips and yet more salad and dried oregano.

On the up side, the crepes were very good, as was the coffee.

Finally a plea to the management: Don't let the staff member who coughed into her cupped hands (good) most of the evening cut the bread (bad). Even better, put a cloth over the loaves. And buy better bread. It was close to stale.

• Visited October 2012
5 Thank Spaul5
“Terrible Chef”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I really wanted to like La Nina. We arrived with expectations of unpretentious, simple food, much like that served at the vast majority of eateries in the south of France in this price range. Having spent holidays in the southern French countryside for around 14 years, I believe we have a reasonably good idea of what is an acceptable standard of food in this region.

The good points: cosy decor, broad menu choices, absolutely fantastic service and welcome from the young man on duty that evening.

The bad points: the food was the worst I've ever been served in a restaurant.

Starter was a baked Camembert & ham salad. I couldn't make my way through more than a third of it as there was a very unpleasant ammonia aftertaste that left my throat sore every time I tried the ham. It must have been old or a bad batch, either way it was impossible to eat.

Main course was pasta for me, which was lacking two of the ingredients listed on the menu and had no seasoning at all. Plus there was a LOT of dried oregano all over it, which was crunchy and not entirely pleasant. My husband had steak with chips and salad. The salad was full of raw beansprouts, the chips were frozen, the steak wasn't sealed so there was a large, raw, cold lump of fatty meat at one end that wasn't edible, and the Roquefort sauce was revolting...it was grey/beige, watery yet lumpy, and tasted really weird and earthy.

It's such a shame that this cute, cosy, friendly place has a terrible chef...the woman in question looked like a family member, which may be why she's in the position. Unfortunately it also means that she is likely to be cooking there regularly, so my recommendation is to go elsewhere until another chef takes her place. I hope the owners of La Nina are reading so that they can improve the food so that it matches the lovely surroundings. Fingers crossed!

12 Thank Hapa1983