Mweya Safari Lodge
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed at a less expensive place right outside the park, but came here for lunch after our morning game drive and before our afternoon launch. It's a wonderful place to hang out for a few hours - with free wifi - and the food was wonderful and reasonably priced. Beautiful views.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Monika M

Reviewed July 18, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at Mweya Safari Lodge in Queen Elisabeth NP with my husband and two friends. I have previously stayed at Paraa Safari Lodge in Murchison Falls NP and as the two lodges have the same owner, the experience and concept is somewhat similar.

For what you pay (306 USD for a standard double room) I was not impressed with the rooms. They are comfortable and have nice views of the Kazinga Channel, but at that price I were expecting more...

Lunch and dinner were good (a wide choice of Indian, European and local dishes) but breakfast a bit disappointing (maybe because I compare it with the breakfast at Paraa Lodge). In the evenings it was impossible to dine outside because of thousands and thousands of tiny lake flies everywhere - including in your dinner. The pool was nice and I also enjoyed a very relaxing (but slightly pricey) massage in the lodge's spa.

Generally, staff were very attentive and helpful in arranging trips (launch trips on the channel and chimpanzee trekking in the Kyambura Gorge). A few of the waiters in the restaurant were less service minded though - one for example refused to change a still unopened beer for another brand as he "would be punished" if he did so??!! Another example: I called the day before we arrived to book a launch trip on the Kazinga Channel but before I could tell the staff my reason for calling I was reminded that we had a balance due for the two rooms we had booked. As we had already paid 50% (612 USD) up front I think this was a bit rude and definitely not a good way to greet new guests about to arrive...

The best thing about Mweya is the location. The setting is just so beautiful on the tip of the peninsular with water on both sides and amazing views of the Kazinga Channel. And I think there is elephant-guarantee when you enjoy a meal on the restaurant terrace :-) I spotted herds of more than 40 elephants several times. (This is why I am rating the lodge 4 and not 3)

I you are looking for a hotel-like experience and comfort in the middle of the bush - or if you are traveling with small children as we will be on our next safari :-) - Mweya Safari Lodge is definitely the place to go! If you can do with less 'luxury' and are looking for a more true 'safari experience' - or is traveling on a more tight budget - I would consider going to one of the cheaper options in the park instead (Queen Elisabeth Bush Lodge for example).

Room Tip: If you want to avoid walking too much between your room and the reception/restaurant/pool, ask for a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dane-in-Tanzania
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a great place, and it's easy to realise it just by looking at the pictures. Wildlife welcomes you on your way to Mweya Safari Lodge. Even in its premises, we were able to see banded mongooses and an interesting warthog, amongst a nice variety of birds, included a beautiful kingfisher.

The views are spectacular. The rooms have views over the Kazinga Channel. Being at the restaurant and esplanade beside the pool is the best though, if you want to enjoy the views. The room we stayed was number 10(ish) and it was ok. You can detect some parts in need of a bit of a renovation, such as the bathroom, but nothing serious.

The staff were great, always smiling and very helpful. One day, we were in a hurry to leave the place after a slow lunch, and we decided not to have the dessert. They promptly offered and came with the ice creams we had ordered, so that we could have them on our way to Kazinga channel. You could see them running to the kitchen back in forth just to get us something that we didn't mind that much about not having. That was very nice of them, and it makes a huge difference to know that they try to go beyond our expectations.

Overall, it was a great stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband has been working in Uganda so we took advantage and booked a trip to Mweya. We used a travel agency, Go2Africa, to book everything. They were wonderful. Our guide was from Great Lakes Safari company. He picked us up in Entebbe, then we had a 9 hour drive to Mweya. Most of the roads are somewhat paved but it's a long, rough ride.

The lodge is inside Queen Elizabeth National Park. The park has no fences. There are thousands of elephants and hippos, water buffalo, lions, leopards, wart hogs, water buck, cubs to name the large animals. So many beautiful birds also. The lodge sits on the Kazinga Channel. Every employee we came in contact with was super nice, helpful, and they all obviuosly love their jobs. Even the lobby is beatiful. We were greated with juice and cold cloths. Check in was quick and easy.

Our room was one of the tents. There are 4 tents. They also have standard hotel rooms plus a few large cottages for families. The tent was wonderful. It was a little isolated, there was another tent near ours but no one was in it. It has a beautiful hardwood floor, doors, a regular bathroom with 2 sinks, shower and toilet. The walls and roof were fabric and the roof was reinforced on the outside. During the day, we kept the flaps up so the air could flow through the screens. At night, housekeeping came and turned down the bed and zipped up the flaps for us. There is a ceiling fan. No A/C. We were never hot. It was full size beds, probably my only complaint about the lodge. There is hot water at all times. There is a chance of animals being near your room since there are no fences. We had a water buck cooling off under a tree one afternoon.

The lodge has one restaurant. Breakfast was typical buffet with pancakes, bacon, omelet station, potatoes, cereal cold/hot, etc. Lunch had a menu with several choices, the menu did not change daily but there were probably 30 choices so no worry. Hamburgers, salads, sandwiches, pasta, etc. Dinner had a menu every night of 2 choices of starters, a soup, 3-4 entree choices, and 3 or so dessert choices. Our room was full board so all meals were included. I'm not sure why you would do it any other way here. Drinks are extra, even bottled water but I was surprised how inexpensive they were compared to room prices.

The lodge also has nice pool and outdoor bar area. It overlooks the channel. So from your lounger you watch elephant, water buffalo, and hippo in the water. Wow!! They also have a spa but I did not use it. I did notice a 1 hour massage was $35!

You can book your game drives and boat cruise when you get to the lodge. We had everything prebooked through our travel agent. I highly recommend this. Our guide was our guide for the whole 5 days so everything was very personalized.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank staceyvols
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was my second time visiting Mweya, and it was just as wonderful as I remembered. The views from the lodge are simply outstanding, and the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. Most people stay two nights at most, but if you have time, it is worthwhile to spend a third and just take a day to relax. And don't miss the boat ride in Kazinga Channel! The Kingfisher boat (book through Mweya) is worth every penny.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank melinaplatas
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We went to Mweya Lodge for a week-end when in Uganda for business. The Lodge and Safari were great R & R, and I am so glad we took the time to go. The lodge is rustic in that uniquely British way, use of indiginous materials,interfaced with linens and tableware you might expect in the city. The lovely pool was an unexpected but appreciated surprise. Service was dignified and proper but at the same time had a wonderful Ugandan warmth that is charming. Food was great and plentiful, the setting and safari experience incomparable. Don't be too tired for the boat trip, it is spectacular. Considering the whole package, this was a very good value and worth every penny.

Room Tip: I had a single to the north of the main lodge building. It had a small patio and a view of the water...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bbc001
Reviewed June 12, 2012

Beautiful place, wonderful staff and if you don't mind walking to your room after dark and encountering a Hippo, its great.

Room Tip: the lodge is on a high ridge but I made the mistake of telling my travel companions that if a Hippo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
#21 of 33 in Queen Elizabeth National Park
Ihamba Lakeside Safari Lodge
Ihamba Lakeside Safari Lodge
#12 of 33 in Queen Elizabeth National Park

Been to Mweya Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!