“Beautiful location. Super accommodation.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ishasha Wilderness Camp

Ishasha Wilderness Camp
Langley, Canada
“Beautiful location. Super accommodation.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2010

We stayed here for a couple of nights during our Uganda safari and mountain gorilla trek booked with Wild Frontiers. Beautiful location on the river. Luxury private tents with very comfortable beds and private 3 piece en suite bathroom. This was a very tranquil setting right on the river. Staff were very friendly. An awesome place to relax as well as for taking in the driving safaris to this area of Queen Elizabeth Park. We even managed to see the elusive tree lions thanks to the persistent searching by our driver/guide.

Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2009

Having spent here 3 nights mid-September, my wife and I consider this camp as our best experience in the whole of Uganda (where we have spend all together 24 nights in 8 different locations). We appreciated it very much breakfast could be ordered as early as 5:30am, enabling us to leave early for our game drives. Though the food was good – particularly the roast beef - we would have appreciated more curries on the menu. Anyway, most lodges tend to avoid these, sticking to characterless ‘international’ food. Regarding the tents: though mosquito nets were not provided, they weren’t necessary anyway! The tents itself were very spacious and airy with a large ‘veranda’ where some black-and-white colobus monkeys literally came down to eye-level next to our tent, feasting on the leaves of that tree. My wife spent hours observing them while I was on my umpteenth game drive, looking for tree-climbing lions - which our female birding guide Myriam found every day!.Oh yes, there’s also an elephant which regularly visits the lodge while there are some resident great blue turacos that spend the night in the trees next to the restaurant tent.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

I was travelling alone as a single femaile in Uganda on a trip organised by the Uganda Wildlife Safaris. During my 2 week trip there were 2 camps that really made an impression and made my holiday a memorable one. One is Buhoma Lodge (review written) and the other is Ishasha Camp.

Upon arrival, I was greeted with a refreshing drink and towel, my baggage was swiftly delivered to my tent and the facilities were explained to my by one of their staff. Overall, you cannot fault the service here. The staff were very attentive. For example: if they noticed you bringing out a cigarette pack, an ashtray will be put in front of you in a flash; they would always take off their shoes before entering your tent to ensure cleanliness; and upon arrival I was desparate to wash my 3 day old dirty hair and given the shower was a manual lever system (where the staff had to physically deliver hot water and pour it into a bucket to to operate the shower), the poor guy had to go fetch me 2 large buckets of water so that I could have a proper wash but he was only too happy to help. The owners of the lodge were also a delightful anda very interesting couple who made sure that your stay was as perfect as they could manage.

The tents itself were also lovely and cosy. Mine had two single beds with bedside lamps, nice clean linen, plenty of blankets to make sure you were warm, electric lights by the tent entrance and also in the bathroom. The camp itself also had a largevreading/lounge tent which can be freely used and breakfast/lunch and dinner was served in the dining area under the stars if it is not raining. Beware - the camp feeds you very well and their food is delicious and very generous.

Only 2 tents were occupied when I was there, so I felt like I had the whole camp to myself. It felt like a serene gataway, and this is one of two places I would return to should I visit Uganda again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2009

I looked forward to staying here as I had seen it being built three years ago. I was not disappointed at all although some folk may not like the 'woodland' gloom and the toilet arrangements.
The Tents are the usual/normal large and roomy permanent structures with ample insect screens etc., Usual Offices 'out back' all worked well. The toilet is a 'porta potti' type for night time use and there is a Toilet block some distance away for use in daylight as you should NOT walk around camp after dark.
Food was wholesome but service on one evening was erratic and the scheduled time came and went with no apparent action or apology. Similarly Breakfast /Lunch were a bit haphazard in laying out tables in readiness for use. I am not one who demands 'slick service' but there is room for improvement here as it is irritating to be kept waiting for cutlery and place mats to be set out.
Food is supplied in the usual open sided Mess Tent/Lapa but there seemed to be no provision for Plan B if the weather turned bad. There is a pleasant Tented Lounge area.
The welcome was profuse and we were given the usual safety briefing and tour of the Tent facilities. The grounds are full of birds from Trogons to the rare Cassin's Flycatcher. Hippos frequent the river banks and Elephant are not uncommon visitors.
We found Tree-climbing Lions within 10 minutes drive and they sang well at night too.
This brings me to my warning. There is great play on escorts needed after Dinner to and from your tent for obvious reasons. There is a Whistle that can be used to summon help should an Emergency arise during the night. BUT NO ONE COMES!!!
We were awakened at 1.30 am by being bitten. The light revealed the Tent full of Siafu (Army Ants). They were all over the floor, in the Bathroom area, and over the bed. The Whistle was used but NOTHING happened. Eventually I dressed quickly, not easy with Ants scaling your legs, and exited the Tent for help. More Ants were all over the apron and pathways. Whether they were coming in or leaving I did not ask. I made my way to the Centre of Camp still blowing the whistle, more for my own reassurance than in expectation of assistance. I found "Security" fast asleep on the very comfortable Lounge Couches. I was able to get them to bring "Doom", three tins were necessary and the body count was enormous. I do not like killing any animal and took no pleasure in seeing this. We then swept up the remains and cleared the carpets out and went back to bed at 2.30 although my wife was extremely nervous.
I have no quarrel about the ants getting in. I do have a concern about the fact that Management seemed oblivious to the fact that the much vaunted "Security" was quite literally asleep on the job. I am experienced enough to handle Elephant and other large Mammals invading my space, day or night, and I found the walk in the dark to get help no problem. I do wonder however at how other guests would have felt in these circumstances. Do be on your guard if you stay here. Help is NOT at hand. I eMailed the Operators about this incident before submitting this review in order to pass on what they had to say. Sadly I have not received any response. Judge this for yourselves.

• Liked — Its location within Ishasa Sector of QE National Park.
  • Disliked — Poor Security.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mfuwe
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2009

Ishasha Wilderness Camp is amazing. It is quite isolated but the operators still provide great service. Electricity is solar powered. Running water is provided via tanks attached to the outside of each tent. You order a shower in advance and the staff fill the tank with water of the desired temperature et voila you have your shower! The large and luxurious tents with own bathroom attached have a great view onto the river.

Wild animals can wander through the camp so you are escorted back to your tent after dinner and you don't leave again until morning. You are provided with a whistle to raise the alarm just in case! The tents are fairly solid though and we felt very secure. Apparently there were hyena calling when we were there but after all the fresh air we slept right through.

Food is excellent (except the packed lunches which are overpriced and seem to be comprised of whatever leftovers the kitchen managed to cobble together - have lunch on site if you can as this is a much better option). The bar is well stocked with a good selection of south african wines.

Ishasha is also a great base for trying to see tree climbing lions. We were lucky :) Our driver/guide kept in contact with other guides via mobile phone and we were able to get directions to the right tree when a group of lions were spotted (saved a lot of fruitless searching). We travelled with KuTunza travel (www.kutunza.com) and can recommend their service for the personal tailored itinerary they provided , professional driver/guide and high quality vehicles.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — packed lunch
1 Thank catsabroad
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

We stopped for 2 nights on our way up the western border of Uganda. On our way to the camp (past the gates) we got our first taste of what was to come...we were no more than 10mins in the park when we came across 4 lions walking down the road. It was just past dusk so the lions were walking in te dark and really didn't care aboutus and our car.

anyway, the camp itself was great. We went out for 2 or three game drives a day plus a game walk one day along the river following the hippos.

The tent itself was extremely comfortable and the service was great. the breakfast is served with an amazing view over the river but apparently they have had ot move the camp a little a coupl eof times as the river changes its path over time.

Over all it was a great stay and the staff were all great.

• Liked — location and wildlife
  • Disliked — leaving it after only three days
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gilbertenstein
Lady from London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

In July 2008, we visited the Ishasha Wilderness Camp in the Queen Elizabeth National Park. What a stunning location right beside the River Ishasha! We were greeted by a cold flannel and a passion fruit juice and welcoming staff who carried our bags to our rooms on their heads and briefed us on how to use the toilets, lights and other facilities in camp. The tented camp was well laid out with the guest tents overlooking the river. Our tent contained a double bed with reading lamps and wardrobe. The bathroom was well thought out with shower, basin and night toilet. We were asked to use the flush toilet in the middle of camp during the day. The tents were powered by solar power sourced lighting. Bedding was clean and the tents were spotless. Outside our tent we had a veranda with chairs and a table overlooking the river and a relaxing hammock was available.

The dining area was romantically lite by oil lamps only and each tent had its own table laid out for dinner. We were welcomed by a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine from the management given that we were on our honeymoon and the manager Karen came over and welcomed us to dinner. Her warm, motherly ways were so genuine and lovely and we felt so comfortable and relaxed.

The food was stunning and we were provided with a four course meal including soup, pork chops (I had mushroom stroganoff given that I am a vegetarian) and for dessert, we were given apple crumble and custard. Really was excellent food and washed down with champagne made it extra special! Breakfast orders are provided the night before and so I pre-ordered my scrambled eggs and beans. Homemade granola and homemade breads also featured on the menu.

This camp site was the only one currently available in the area and they were making various improvements and so I hope that it doesn’t lose its individual charm and allure. Its remote location ensures that you are surrounded by the sounds of the forest including colobus monkeys, frogs, hippos and many other noises. There are also some good game drives in the surrounding area where visitors will see elephants, kob, buffalo, topi and the tree- climbing lions.. It took us some time to find them but several hours later we found a family of 6 lions sleeping in a large fig tree not far from the road side. There was also a large colony of hippos in the Ishasha River which were truely amazing to watch, we opened our packed lunch and sat for 30 minutes watching these magnificant animals.

A unique, lovely location!

• Liked — Everything was superb!
  • Disliked — Tiny point - we had to walk to the toilet in the centre of camp during the day - one closer to the tent would have been preferable.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
#11 of 29 in Kabale
Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge
Ruhija Gorilla Safari Lodge
#18 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park

Been to Ishasha Wilderness Camp? Share your experiences!