“Disappointed”

Michael's Fine Food & Spirits
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Waterville
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Michael's Fine Food & Spirits offers fine dining and a unique menu in a casual and relaxed atmosphere. In addition to our diverse menu options and homemade desserts, we also offer a full bar with an exceptional listing of wines, both by the bottle and the glass. Guests can dine in one of our quaint and cozy dining rooms or can enjoy our upstairs dining room with parties of up to 40.
Upstate NY
“Disappointed”
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I've been wanting to come here for a long time, and really wanted to love the place, which makes this review even more frustrating.

1. I ordered the black and bleu risotto and the tenderloin was almost raw and extremely tough. They offered a free dessert for my trouble when they should have just deducted the meal from my bill since it was inedible.

2. It took forever between courses. It shouldn't take 2.5 hours for a family of four to dine here.

3. The dessert, a pecan tart, was all crust and very little filling, with a teaspoon of vanilla ice cream on top.

All in all, a disappointment. We will not be returning.

• Visited November 2013

New York City
“Nice Find in Central New York”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were visting my son at Colgate for family weekend, and all nearby restaurants were booked solid. I took a chance by reserving for Saturday night at MIchael's, a 20 minute drive from Hamilton. Our family of four was not disappointed. The restaurant was extremely busy, booked solid in fact, and for good reason. Very warm interiors, attentive service, and extremely tasty food. We had a variety of things, from appetizers (tuna carpaccio, bacon wrapped scallops), to dinner entrees including steak and shrimp. We left very satisfied, and would definitely return.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank MHoffmanNYC
Fairfax, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never Disappoints”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I don't live in the area, but whenever I come to visit Upstate NY, a trip to Michaels is a must. Two weeks ago, I was staying in Syracuse but had to make a trip over. It was a Sunday evening and was surprised how busy they were...but after a very short wait we were seated. They now have homestyle meals on Sunday nights and I decided to try the Sunday Sauce -- it was hands down the best sauce I've ever had.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank linlin1007
Connecticut
“In Your Face Service and No Focaccia...Makes It Average”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I along with my brother and his wife recently ate at Michael's. The service was prompt and there was plenty of it. Every 5 minutes (or so it seemed), we were asked "How are things?" or "Is everything OK?" It was intrusive and made it very difficult to visit and talk with family.

My wife ordered a Pesto Chicken Panini (to be served on Focaccia). When it arrived, it was served on toasted Italian bread, not on Focaccia. When we asked about it, we were simply told that is what they serve it on. Oh well. It was an OK sandwich. My Blackened Chicken salad, was good with an ample portion.

Others ordered a special: a shrimp risotto with Cajun seasoning. For a serving of risotto and a few shrimp this was a very pricey special. While it was good, it was expensive for a risotto dish.

The ambiance is fine...the background music very nice.

• Visited September 2013
Hamilton, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our first visit.”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We had reservations on a very busy Friday evening. The local university was having "Home Coming" weekend and all the local places are jam-packed.

We were seated within fifteen minutes of our arrival and ordered cocktails. They arrived in short order and were perfect. After viewing the menu and hearing the evening specials recited, we were given ample time to chat and go over the menu. Our party ordered several appetizers including a Mushroom Stuffed Mushroom. A Portobello stuffed with a mixture of a few exotic mushrooms was excellent and served with a white, cheesy sauce that added to the pleasure. Bacon-wrapped scallops were also just right. Not over-cooked and rubbery as I've had them served to me at other establishments.

Between our appetizers and entrees, we had ample time to chat and enjoy the atmosphere. When our entrees arrived they were served in fine fashion. My personal entrée was Salmon fillet with a crust of artichoke seasoning. It was served atop mashed potatoes and included fresh asparagus. The Salmon was perfectly prepared. All the other diners at our table were also very pleased with their selections.

When all was said and done, nothing could have made a birthday celebration finer.

At a point after dinner, the chef/owner made his rounds through the dining room. Such a nice touch to cap off a wonderful evening. The special birthday treat was also great.

I would highly recommend Michael's to all who enjoy a fine meal. We'll be back!

• Visited September 2013