“Great food”

Michael's Fine Food & Spirits
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Waterville
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Michael's Fine Food & Spirits offers fine dining and a unique menu in a casual and relaxed atmosphere. In addition to our diverse menu options and homemade desserts, we also offer a full bar with an exceptional listing of wines, both by the bottle and the glass. Guests can dine in one of our quaint and cozy dining rooms or can enjoy our upstairs dining room with parties of up to 40.
“Great food”
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We had an unexpected great meal. Food is outstanding. It's in a quaint old house so the seating is a little cramped, I expect that from an converted army/navy surplus store. Although it is decorated nice.
Waited was nice but a little overwhelmed and busy. We plan on bringing friends next time.

1 Thank Tuffship

Central NY State
“Absolutely 5 Stars...”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

My wife and I visited Michaels on a Wednesday evening around 5:00. We had reservations and were about 15 minutes late - wife's fault again ;)

Michaels is located in a nicely restored older building; one of the 1st built tin the area I believe. Ample parking. We were greeted upon our arrival and immediately seated at the table I had requested - something quiet/more intimate. The dining area is broken up into several different rooms so it's nice that everyone isn't seated in one big "dining hall". The dining areas are basically different rooms in the building with anywhere from 3 or 4 tables to perhaps 9 or 10 tables. The decor is simple & tastefully done. Background music was very relaxing and where it belonged - in the background. Dining area was dimly lit, but not so dim that you needed a flashlight to read the menu if you know what I mean.

The salads that came with our entrees were fairly generous and comprised of mixed greens with tomato, cucumber, olives, and homemade croutons. Asked for and received our dressings on the side. Fresh warm bread was also served with our salads. My wife ordered Coquilles St. Jacques and I had the Chicken Scampi - both were served HOT and were Excellent! Now understand, I don't cook, but I do know good food when I have it. Anyhow, excuse my layman's terms here - > The Chicken Scampi was a nice size portion and consisted of medallions of chicken, 4 unbreaded LARGE shrimp, mushrooms, and roasted red peppers over linguine in a scampi sauce - Bellisimo! Our server, Melanie, was one of the most gracious, polite, and efficient waitresses we've ever had. Checked on us from time to time, but definitely not overbearing.

Put it all together - ambiance, food, and service - > 5 STARS!
This dining experience is unquestionably in our top 5 of all time!

• Visited February 2011
new hartford, ny
“Don't Let the sign fool you!”
Reviewed September 16, 2010

I had not been here before so I thought I would try it. Well don't let the sign fool you, Fine Dining it's not! The food was dry and had no flavor. The staff was rude and trying to rush us out. The restaurant was decorated beautifully I can say that. But if I am going to go to a fine dining establishment I would hope to have good service and good food. I had neither and paid for both.

1 Thank 2wine2dine
U.S.
“Fabulous New Location!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We live in FL and come to Cent. NYS once a year. Two years ago we happened upon Michael's at his old location and absolutely loved his lunch fare. This year we searched and found the old location, but to our dismay, Michael was no longer there. We asked where he went and they said he opened a new restaurant at the corner of RTS 12 & 20. We left his old establishment without ordering and went to the new digs. Fabulous!! He has invested heavily in rehabing an old house. Wonderful, clean, ambiance in the eating areas, and a brand new and expanded kitchen. The food was everything we remembered: fresh ingredients, a nice presentation, and an attentive waiter (Ben). Michael presonally solicited all patrons as to their meals. A great experience. We WILL be back!
Bob & Ann

Utica, NY
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We don't care about your comfort, just tell us what you want to eat...”
Reviewed September 5, 2009

If you plan on eating here with a party of 5, be prepared to be sat at a small table for 4. 5 tall adults told there's no other choices for seating when to our right there was a table set for 6. Told that it will be a busy night and this is the best we can do for you, sorry. 30 minutes later, the empty table next to us is finally seated... 2 adults and 3 small children with the sixth seat used as a holder for a sweater. At our table, Dinner was difficult to eat as two of use couldn't put our legs under the table and all of us had no room on the table for much other than the main dish plates.

I would have expected much better. As for the food, it would have tasted better had we had some elbow room to enjoy it. Difficult to enjoy the food when your the only table in the room with this crowded seating.

1 Thank photogphotog