“Lovely Place”

Zanzibar Coffee House
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We stayed for one night on our return to Stone Town so we already knew our way around and where it was - in Stone Town this is part of the fun - finding places and getting lost!
The Dutch owner was extremely nice but the other staff were 'ok', they didn't go out of their way to be friendly like a lot of the other locals we met.
The Coffee House is a fantastic building, full of character and we enjoyed our stay. I hated coffee - but not anymore, the stuff they served was lovely and breakfast was fab (the best we experienced) on their rooftop terrace.
The room was lovely with lots of nice touches.
Would definately recommend staying here. We met a lot of people who were disappointed that they couldn't get a room - book early.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Fergie-Vic

Reviewed August 19, 2009

If you go to Stone Town, it seems to me that you need to decide whether you want a really upmarket hotel with all mod cons or whether you're prepared to go for somewhere with a bit more character which is bound to be a little bit more low key but which is is comfortable and clean. Sadly - none of these choices is cheap, but having been here when I was prepared to slum it, the alternatives further down the price range are extremely basic!

The Coffee House certainly fits into the second of those categories and suited us perfectly. You really are in the heart of the windy streets of Stone Town so thank goodness for my wife's sense of direction which got us there every evening as we came home.

The rooms are good with comfortable beds, good mosquito nets, clean bathrooms with hot water and air con and fans too. They aren't luxury rooms but it is a mid range hotel. We were able to use the free wifi which is slow, but was useful to access. We originally had the Cappucino suite and had to switch to the Espresso room for the last evening which has its own bathroom across the corridor. At about half the price, that seemed to be much the best option.

The staff of the hotel were fantastic - very flexible, friendly and looked after us so well. When we arrived they brought a delicious cake to our room. They allowed us to have breakfast after it had officially finished. They also allowed us to use a shower on the afternoon of the day that we checked out after we'd been down to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dand73
Reviewed July 16, 2009

I recently spent a night at the Coffee House after a month of safaris and gorilla trekking in Uganda. I got off to a slightly rough start, as Stone Town itself is a little rough for single (female) travelers and I got totally lost trying to find my way back to the hotel after a late afternoon exploration of the area. The next day I asked the manager of the hotel if she knew of anyone who could give me a city tour and she immediately called Anjam. He fit me into his already tight schedule and I had the BEST time walking around Stone Town with him and taking photos of the locals, etc.

The rooms at the Coffee House are very nice - clean, nice decor, and air conditioned. If you have a good sense of direction it's not that far from the bigger hotels and main streets, but arrive early in the day to get used to your surroundings, as there's no restaurant so you have to go out for meals. All in all, I really enjoyed my brief stay and would recommend the hotel to those who enjoy more intimate places rather than a Dow Palace type of touristy locale.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank makmusique
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Unless you ask a local to show you the way, you're likely to spend hours wandering around Stone Town looking for the hotel, until you've been there 3-4 days. However Stone Town has a great atmosphere, so this is no hardship

The rooms are nicely put together with a dark-wood theme. There is WIFI, though it didn't work for me

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2009

I stayed here because of recommendations on Trip advisor. I agree with the majority of the reviews. This is a great place to stay. After 17 days of tenting and backpacking (Mt. Kilimanjaro and Safari) I treated myself and stayed in the Cappuccino Suite - (Awesome) but it was pricey ($135). Would recommend this suite for couples. I then switched to a single (it cost me $90) - the less expensive rooms were taken.

The rooms I stayed in - had ceiling fans and A/C and mosquito nets.

The hotel has backup generator - which is a good thing because the last 3 days that I was in Zanzibar - Stone town lost power and had to rely on the generators. When I flew out the power still had not been restored.

The only drawback that I would say is the coffee house is on sidestreets and it can be confusing to get back to it night. I got use to the side streets and was able to get back to it at night - so I can see how a solo traveler might opt to stay in the main streets along the harbor, especially if the price is comparable. However the Coffee house is very close to the main attractions once a person gets use to the side streets.

If going with another traveller or in a group I would definitely recommend this place. If solo traveller than it depends on your comfort levet. (If travelling alone would recommend checking in during the day time because of the side streets and the taxi's can't drop you off unlike the hotels on the main streets).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank uclatraveller
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We stayed here for 1 night on January 2, 2009 to spend time exploring Stone Town. I agree with the other reviewers that the hotel is a pretty stylish affair, slightly rustic. It has a great furniture and a fabulous rooftop terrace. It's an old Zanzibar merchant house converted to a cafe and hotel so all the rooms are highly individual and interesting. The staff is friendly. The Swiss manager of the hotel Ms. Jane Achermann has been very nice to us in helping our problem with our local agent. However, there was no hot water, no shower tub, no shampoo or soap in the bathroom. The water was smelly. If you switch off the airconditioner you can easily smell the humidity. The location of the hotel is good for exploring the town but you can easily get lost at nights as the hotel is located in the middle of the old city. The restaurant is OK but a bit expensive.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank umurcan
Reviewed April 30, 2009

We stayed for 3 nights in the Arabica Suite. A fabulous room, of real character, Staff were great and breakfast on the roof something different. Get a map form reception and check for landmarks and finding on way was OK.
If we were lucky enough to get back to Zanzibar we wouldn't look to stay elsewhere

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple