“Gem in the heart of Stone Town”

and 1 more site!
Zanzibar Coffee House
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Stone Town
London, United Kingdom
“Gem in the heart of Stone Town”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here three times in three years and this place still delivers great standards and value for money in a vibrant and ever changing town. Super individual rooms that are spotlessly clean and provide all feasible mod cons at an affordable price.

The staff are charming, there is a superb rooftop for breakfasts (amazing coffees!!) and a friendly, safe ambience that make this a great recommendation. Finding it will test your orientation skills but well worth persevering.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jedward97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bukavu
Reviewed October 14, 2012

The hotel has real character, the rooms are delightfully furnished with large beds and high quality linen and mattresses. The windows have shutters which is a plus. The interior of the hotel has wide arabian banisters and staircases. The breakfast is served on an arty and airy rooftop terrace with great panoramas of the city. The coffee was rich and the breakfast was generous and interesting. Highly recommed staying here- we stayed in expresso which is not ensuite

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank Kate H
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 11, 2012

If you like the idea of staying in an old Zanzibari house at the heart of the old town - so much so that finding your way back at night requires a good memory for landmarks and a bit of help from the guys relaxing on the street corners - then this is the place for you.

The rooms are compact but comfortable, the al fresco breakfast is generous and gives you a chance to survey the rooftops of the town and as you might expect, the coffee is first class.

You could not be better located in Stone Town than here - the market and good places to eat in the evening are very close by, and it is a short stroll to the town's main attractions. Service is friendly but not over-effusive, and the accommodation is fair value without being outstanding.

My wife and teenage sons and I thoroughly enjoyed staying here, and I would happily stay here again if I am lucky enough to return to Zanzibar.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Henry229
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We stayed in Expresso room- subsided our expectations. The room was very large with excellent furniture and great view of the street from the window.

The ladies that work at the hotel are super...could not have been more pleasant and helpful.
Breakfast was the best we had been provided anywhere we stayed in Africa for a month. Coffee was the best Also.

Location is perfect....would not stay anywhere else on my return to stone town.

Highly recommend Zanzibar Coffee House.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ransy83
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We happened upon the Zanzibar Coffee House by chance, first we were avoiding people who insisted on offering a helping hand and then a down pour of rain. To our surprise, it was also a hotel. A very reasonable rate during the month of June gave us a perfect location in Stone town, connections to taxis and tour guides who also were reasonable and very knowledgeable. Our room was beautiful oasis of antiques, breakfast served in a roof top room that was also available for lounging during the day & evening--the view & the sounds of the city enveloped us during a late night picnic dinner. In the morning we could hear the prayers from the near by Mosque. This unintended stop lasted for three days and two nights. Their coffee is excellent, their homemade coffee soap has been the best soap I have every used for my face . . . friendly, clean, beautiful - I cannot say enough - a wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank charbel59
usa
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Charming place. I stayed in a single room with a private bathroom down the hall. Room was really nice with a/c, clean bathroom. Breakfasts on the roof were amazing. I also lunch and coffee there during afternoon breaks and it's just a really neat place. It's sort of hard to find. The taxi will park at the market and you have to walk through windy alleyways to find the place. The coffee house closes early evening so you have to go out for dinners. There is a sweet old man who's there the night shift. I'd come back in the dark from dinner, knock on the door and the sweet man would always greet me. I recommend this place.

Just a warning: do not book the city walking tour with this place. I think they use the same guy. If so, the guy I had was just rude and had "wandering eyes" that just creeped me out. He also refused at the end to walk me back to the hotel. He just pointed at some vague direction and told me I could find the hotel in that direction! He then demanded I pay for the tour (did he think I wasn't going to pay?). After I paid him $30 he had a change of heart and walked me to the hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank sauciehall
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I used to live in Zanzibar and have long recommended Zanzibar Coffee House to those visiting. The last time I returned to Zanzibar for a visit I stayed there myself. It's a lovely spot, with a great location, and fantastic coffees and treats. The rooftop offers special views and a little oasis from the crowded town center.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Tembo House  Hotel & Apartments
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
#1 of 6 in Matemwe

Been to Zanzibar Coffee House? Share your experiences!