“Oh to be cleansed....”

Zanzibar Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I was travelling overland through Africa arriving in Stone Town after a month on the road through the desert. I was in search of a day spa so I could take a body scrub and refresh for the month ahead. I walked past the Zanzibar Palace Hotel a few times. On one occasion I thought why not just walk through the big timber doors to see what they have. And, what a find! I booked into their day spa for later that evening to be followed by dinner. The body scrub was to die for! I have never had a body scrub like that before. Not only did I feel clean and refreshed, I felt re-energised.

I relaxed by having a quiet drink in their bar before dinner. The service was excellent. The food was enjoyable. This hotel really is an oasis in the middle of Stone Town. If ever I was to go back I would want to stay here.

If you do stay at the Zanzibar Palace Hotel, make sure you use the day spa!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael_A_SydAus
There are newer reviews for Zanzibar Palace Hotel

Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is nicely situated - just a ten minute walk from the ferry. We were here in low season, so the hotel was not busy and they upgraded us to a wonderful room (Sultana) with a balcony. The room had many nice touches, from the beautiful lighting fixtures to the zanzibar style arches. One thing to note is that you have to climb some steep stairs to get to the rooms, there is no elevator. The breakfast was good and the staff was very attentive. They gave us a good map of stone town and pointed out the key places. They can also arrange tours, of course. They have A/C, which was key. Would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yevie115
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had a very nice stay here. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was well run and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would have liked to stay longer than the one night there. Next time perhaps I will spend longer in Stone Town. I have no hesitation in recommending the Zanzibar Palace Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 30, 2014

What a great place. Well appointed, thoughtful staff, filling breakfast. Robert was able to help us with all our needs, arranging a spice tour, a trip to Prison Island, and a ride up to Nungwi beach. The staff was very responsive to all our requests.

When returned to Stone Town after the Northern Zanzibar beach, they thoughtfully upgraded our room to a suite, as two of our party were leaving on a 3:30am flight.

Great place, and I wish them the best of luck.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in early March this year, I specifically chose this hotel for the room with the open view bathroom.

Being on honeymoon and after a week on safari with canvas tents, this hotel was beyond luxurious - beautifully decorated with old wooden furniture, colourful lamps, cushions and drapes, it truly gives a feeling of being in an ancient Arabic palace. The bed was huge and very comfortable, positioned on tall pillars, so you have to climb up using those decorative chests on either side - like in the old films of a Thousand and one Arabic nights! The roof-top bathroom where you are showering while observing the dhows passing by in the harbour - it was absolutely spectacular! Highly recommend for honeymooners.

Both nights it was raining at night and early morning; by the time we finished breakfast it was mostly sunny again, and the city felt clean and washed.

The breakfast was tasty. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel, as the food there was mostly western, and we were craving for curry. This is probably the only suggestion I would offer - to make the dinner choices more elaborate and varied, as we were keen to eat in the hotel the night we arrived.

There were no mosquitos, even though the net was provided.

Hotel was quiet, located in a fairly quiet street close to harbour, there was music heard from far away, but it was not disturbing.

The hotel management is very polite and attentive, the staff is friendly and helpful.

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Zanzibar Palace!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at this cozy hotel. The management and staff are very professional and were always willing to go a step farther step to assist us with whatever request we had. Thank you all very much for accomodating all of our requests and Kyle's; I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to experience Stone Town to its fullest.

Room Tip: lower rooms are best if you're not up for the challenge of climbing stairs; however, the staff i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We loved everything about the Zanzibar Palace hotel. I thought this boutique hotel with its unique ambience & great personalized service was worthy of a 5 star rating.
It is hidden away in one of the winding narrow alleyways of Stonetown, close to shops & within walking distance to the sea. The hotel is very discreet from the outside but once you set foot inside, it is like stepping into another world. It's filled with loads of history, character & charm. We received a very warm welcome by the assistant manager. He was very attentive & hospitable & he couldn't do enough for us. He quickly organised a very informative city tour of Stonetown at a cheaper cost than what we would have paid if we had organised it ourselves. The rest of the staff were also very friendly & helpful. We were kindly given an upgrade to "The Sultana room". This room was huge with a large balcony overlooking the rooftops. It was so beautifully furnished & tastefully decorated. Lots of nice touches, Bookcase with books, a large bath & a safe to lock away valuables. Complimentary ironing was provided & on our return from our night out, the room was prepared with the mosquito nets & air conditioning was switched on to cool down the room. The breakfast was lovely. Although I have a gluten free diet there was still ample between the omelette I ordered & a selection of food from the buffet. I would definitely recommend staying here but stay for at least 2 nights if you can so you have plenty of time to appreciate the experience.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple