“Fairy-tale hotel in center of Stone Town”

Zanzibar Palace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Very nice hotel, with all the rooms beautifuly decorated in a kind of old Arabic style. Very kind and helpfull staff, nice little bar, very childfriendly management. The hotel is completely aircondtioned. One of our best experiences ever.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed our stay in Zanzibar Palace. The hotel is located in the center of Stone Town, cur...

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Great and Safe city. Great accomodations. Recommend the stay as well as the city market tour by island Express. Stone town is worth a visit for a couple of days i feel. The one night we spent was great. The great food at the hotel was a welcome relief after days in Africa!

Room Tip: All were good. Would entertain the top room just for the experience next time.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We spent 2 nights at the Zanzibar Palace Hotel. We arrived on New Year's Eve and ate in the hotel restaurant which we would recommend. The hotel is in walking distance of all the attractions as long as you don't get lost in the small streets which is very easy to do. However, we still felt safe even when lost. The staff are very helpful and welcoming.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Zanzibar Palace is a fantastic hotel. We stayed there over NYE between our safari and trip up to Nungwi Beach for the remainder of our honeymoon. While at first we were a bit disoriented, mainly due to the location among the winding maze of streets in Stone Town, and the fact that our tour provider had provided us with incorrect information, the hotel itself is very beautiful and certainly unique. The room itself was very majestic (for a lack of a better word). We stayed in the Sultana room (if I'm remembering correctly) and the size, air conditioning, and comfortable bed were perfect, in fact that was by far the most comfortable bed we slept on during our entire trip. We also enjoyed dinner at the hotel restaurant, which was absolutely wonderful. The service was amazing and the food itself was incredible. Not that we were expecting it to be poor, but the meal far exceeded both my wife and I's expectations. My wife commented that the filet was the best cut of beef she had ever had. Excellent wine recommendations as well. The proprietors of the hotel were equally amazing. They gave us excellent recommendations on how to navigate throughout town, where to spend our evening ringing in the new year after dinner and made us feel completely safe wandering around town. The only real complaint is the street noise, which due to its location, there's not much you can do about. But by having the hotel off the waterfront, it caused us to walk around and explore more of the city, so while at first we were disappointed with the location, it ended up being a blessing in disguise.

WARNING: it is VERY easy to get lost attempting to navigate through the streets/alleys immediately surrounding the hotel. We never felt like we were in danger. But we definitely got lost and had to use the compass on my iPhone to get us heading west to find a way out of the maze. We very easily got turned around and had no idea where we were after about 15-20 mins of walking.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay in Zanzibar Palace Hotel. I arrived at after midnight in Zanzibar due to flight cancelations right from Accra through Addis Ababa to Zanzibar. My luggage did not arrive on the same flight. After spending some hours at the airport giving particulars about myself and my baggage, I took a taxi to Stone Town to the hotel. I was so tired and I did not even look around the hotel and went straight to the shower and then to bed. I slept comfortably throughout and did not even realize that it was christmas day. It was then that I realized that my room is called Rosewood on the top floor and it represent the arabic way of living.

I went down to breakfast and was very satisfied with what the hotel had to offer, a good coffee, sue danish, a good omelette - I was happy.

Now I have been in many hotels but Zanzibar Palace Hotel was unique - in the sense that it portrays the culture in the milieu it is located. It is welcoming, clean, very clean and the food was superb and excellent. The staff were so pleasant and willing to help all the time. Arrangements to visit the spice farm and stone town itself were made by the hotel and it went very well.

The SPA was very relaxing and good for me. Since I returned I have been telling my friends about it especially how modest and clean the hotel is and the good food served. I definitely enjoyed my stay there and would recommend it to anyone who want to stay within the vicinity of stone town.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have excellent view of Stone Town. In Rosewood, opened the windows to receiv...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We truly enjoyed our recent stay at the Palace Hotel and our visit to Stone Town. The location was easily within walking distance of attractions and places of interest and we felt safe doing so. The staff was very friendly and helpful and did whatever they could to make our brief stay the best it could be. We would highly recommend this property if you're in the market for a small, personal lodging experience in a place that feels more like staying in a 'palace' than in a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Conveniently located near major attractions, this age old palace is now reconstructed to accommodate 9 rooms. Every room has a theme from the historical days and we were in the Rosewood room. The decor is from late 1800s to early 1900s and will transport you back in eons. Its a pleasant experience from the oh-so-modern hiltons & hyatts of the world. The wooden furniture has intricate wooden carvings and the staff pays attention to detail. Breakfast is quite good & you can also exchange currency at the front desk.

The hotel has no elevator but the decor, hospitality and rooms will blow your mind.

5  Thank Sona_G81