Tembo House Hotel & Apartments
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Al Minar(Stone Town)
  • Breakfast included
Beyt Al Salaam(Stone Town)
Al Johari(Stone Town)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Tausi Palace Hotel(Stone Town)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Dhow Palace Hotel(Stone Town)
1,079 results
All reviewsno alcoholbar next doorswimming poollovely poolfreddie mercuryoverlooking the beachprison islandfamily roomfantastic locationantique furnitureold world charmthe hotel managernight marketzanzibar stylecentral locationfour poster bedindian ocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My wife and I along with two of her sisters and a boyfriend of one of them stayed at the Tembo House for one night on Jan. 11, 2013 to wrap up the Zanzibar portion of our trip to Tanzania. We "dropped in" on this hotel and they had rooms available and I negotiated a 15% discount right at the desk. We ended up paying only $122 for the night for our room (my wife and I).

This is a beautiful restored historic building (this was originally built in the 1800's as the US Embassy for Zanzibar when the island was independent) located right on the water in the heart of Stonetown. The rooms were well done and very charming. Good sized and well air conditioned. The bed was probably the best we had on our entire trip. They had a real North American sized bar fridge too that worked like a charm and kept the bottled water and the odd beer nice and cold. Our room had a nice balcony but we didn't face the inner courtyard were the fantastic pool was.

We only had breakfast there which was adequate but not amazing. I don't think this hotel is known for it's food. It's also a "dry" hotel but you go next door to the Livingston bar which was awesome for drinks at sunset on their beach patio. The staff were very good at this hotel and english is widely spoken espcially by the efficient reception staff. They have free internet on two lobby computers that work very well but slow. All internet connections in Tanzania are slow.

Lots of good restaurants in the area and of course the narrow walkways of Stonetown begin right across the street. Beware though that Stonetown is full of aggressive vendors and street hawkers. Honestly one or two nights in Stonetown is plenty. I would recommend hiring an official guide to get you to all the historic sights in the area as the maze of streets can be very confusing. For people that have been to Havana Cuba, Stonetown will seem quite familiar with the old run down historic buildings, etc.

You can't go wrong with this hotel and it is certainly very good value.

Room Tip: Try to get an inner courtyard room with your balcony facing the pool area.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank David J
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was our second stay at the Tembo. The quality of the hotel and staff remain excellent. Maintenace of the historic builing is excellent. The beach has become a delightful extension of the facilities. A neighbouring restaurant on the beach serves alcohol if you want something with your lunch or dinner. Our air conditioner was just OK. Bath in second bedroom had poor water pressure. Breakfasts a bit dull. Otherwise everything was outstanding. If we return to Zanzibar we will return to the Tembo.

Room Tip: All rooms have their special features. Some have balconies, overlooking pool or overlooking Ocean. Some look toward seaside promenade, some towards old town. Hard to say which is best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CameraBluff
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed for one night as a single, travelling with a group. We all enjoyed the nice big rooms, the ambience of the traitional Zanzibar style furnished rooms, the friendly staff and the great view to the sea. I originally had a room at the ground floor, but changing to a better room upstairs was possible without any discussions or surcharge.

Room Tip: Die Zimmer im Erdgeschoss haben leider teilweise Gitter vor den Fenstern und können von außen verriegelt werden. Die Zimmer in den oberen Geschossen mit Blick auf den Pool im Innenraum oder zur Meerseite haben daher deutlich bessere Aussicht und Ambiente.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Being in he centre of Stone Street it was right near all the fascinating shops. Also right on the beach so great views. Excellent service and staff very friendly Highly recommended. Breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: try and get a room overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed in Tembo for 3 nights with my wife and kids. The room 100 was excellent overlooking the sea with its own big Terrence space which was very comfortable. Room service not upto the mark specially in the mornings. Tembo is close to Furodhani at walking distance and very much in centre of the Stone town. Great place to be in if you want to be in stone town. Really did appreciate the housekeeping and hotel staff who found my camera which I had misplaced in my room and could not trace it while I was checking out. They called my tour operator and gave the camera to him, which I collected later.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family