“Excellent value”

Cuisines: Seafood, Grill, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our hotel recommended this place over the tourist hub of Mercury's (Freddy Mercury's restaurant) and we weren't disappointed. A wonderful selection of meals for dinner along with deserts. A very good value for the price, selection and food option and portions. After dinner, we went to the rooftop bar for more drinks, hookah and to enjoy the fresh air and views over the Indian Ocean.

6DegreesZanzibar, General Manager at 6 Degrees South Grill and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Dear Cloudenslager

Seems as though you were able to enjoy and appreciate the whole experience on offer here at 6 Degrees South!

Your hotel sent you to the right place to enjoy good food from an amazing selection; and the best spot to enjoy Hookah while gazing across the Indian Ocean on our Cocktail Deck- of which is also the perfect place for Sun downers!

We look forward to your returned visit

Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

This is a really nice place with a great athmosphere. They have great food and good drinks. The burger was yummy. And the sandwithes tasted great!
The rooftop is a great place for drinks at night.

6DegreesZanzibar, General Manager at 6 Degrees South Grill and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience here at the restaurant.

THE Burger is one of our best sellers, as well as one of my favourite dishes to order, so am glad you feel the same way.

As per our Cocktail Deck, it is an amazing place to catch the Sunset and relax after a long day. We keep it open until 01:00 to ensure you able to enjoy a proper night of deserved relaxation.

We look forward to you returning!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We probably should have chosen the local specialties. Instead we had chicken wings and calamare for starter and then spare ribs for main course. The chicken wings were very good. The calamare were not as crispy as we hoped. The spare ribs should - according to the menue - fall from the bones. Well, they didn't and so it was actually quite difficult to eat them.
The first dessert we had chosen wasn't ready so we went for the pineapple/coconut panna cotta. I would say the panna cotta was too hard and I couldn't taste any coconut.
The view is good and the Service was very lovely and nice.

6DegreesZanzibar, General Manager at 6 Degrees South Grill and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

Dear Gabz

The experience you describe here is not what we aim to achieve and apologise that it was not dealt with at the time.

Our calamari (despite being one of my personal favourites) is one of our best sellers, where this is the first time I have received such feedback. Chicken wings are also really delicious and glad you enjoyed them.
As per the ribs, we take the time is smoking them ourselves here and slowly cook them in the oven to the described perfection. I implore you to return where I shall ensure you receive what you had come here to enjoy.

All the best

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Loved the roof bar and a terrific cocktail called The View!
Definitely a spectacular location to view the sunset.
The building is very modern and bright, probably the most modern and non-traditional building we saw in Stonetown.
We then went downstairs for dinner to the dining room which is at street level. The décor is pleasant, bright and airy, modern and reminded us of a Key West restaurant. Because it was the holy month of Ramadan there was an unattractive green net fence blocking the view of the water from the dining room so it felt a little gloomy. Something more aesthetically pleasing would have been better.
The food was a little bit disappointing - my kingfish was overdone and the dessert was very uninspired. But my dining companions enjoyed their "catch of the day" dinner more than I did so perhaps I was unlucky.

All feedback is appreciated, where I thank you for the time you have taken in doing so.

This was also our first Holy Month of Ramadhan at 6 Degrees South, where to show respect we up a green net in order to block the view from people passing by. Most guests did not mind and respected the fact of being able to still enjoy their experience here whilst being shaded slightly. I understand this blocked out the view a bit and glad you where able to appreciate the view though from the Rooftop. The View, by the way, is a very popular cocktail that is offered during Happy Hour.

Our Chefs are always more than accommodating and welcoming to constructive feedback, where I apologise this was not dealt with at the time. We pride ourselves in aiming to produce the best in menu options, where we have taken note of your comments to ensure the best of guest satisfaction is achieved.

On your returned visit, please ask for me and I shall let the kitchen produce something unforgettably inspiring for you!

Kind Regards and All the Best,

Dane

Reviewed July 27, 2014

This restaurant is located on the ground floor of a building right by the ocean but still very centrally located if you are staying in Stone Town. Don't stay away because you think the place might be too expensive; it is actually quite a reasonably priced restaurant despite its wonderful setting and excellent service staff. We were a group of friends that included a strict vegetarian, some who only eat seafood, and some who were regular old carnivores. Everyone left the restaurant extremely happy; in fact, we returned for a second dinner the following evening and again left feeling happy that we had found this place. We also watched the sunset on the rooftop terrace one evening but found the experience better at the Africa House located just a few buildings away. Overall an excellent restaurant, with great food and very attentive and friendly service.

Dear Angkor

We appreciate the time guests take to commenting on their experiences here at 6 Degrees South.

Situated right next to the ocean; offering guests the freshest and most affordable menu; adds to the memorable experiences we aim to offer. We do look to cater to most guests needs, where the Chef is only too happy to prepare special requests should there be any.

I do agree with you- we are perfectly situated to enjoy the beautiful African Sunset, where one can enjoy Happy Hour for this period in time.

My staff are constantly striving to do their best, where they truly enjoy getting positive feedback- where again, I thank you for taking the time to do so.

Kind Regards,