“Acceptable food at a high price”

The Terrace at the Zanzibar Serena Inn
Ranked #40 of 81 Restaurants in Stone Town
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is a beautiful setting on the terrace of a fine hotel. The ambiance was wonderful! The stars were out, the sounds of the ocean, candlelit tables, and not a single annoying bug! It's too bad the quality of the food was only average for such a beautiful setting. The prawn appetizer was good, but nothing special. none of our party of 4 liked the soup, and all of us felt our entrees were just OK. I had lobster thermidor and thought it was dry, needed more sauce, and the meat the chewy. I will say the banana creme brulee was delicious. At about $50pp, excluding wine, it was not a bargain. Much better meals can be had in Stone Town for half the price. I was really surprised since everything else about the Zanzibar Serena is exquisite. The breakfast served each morning is delicious, as are the crepes served poolside each afternoon.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

A very elegant and upscale restaurant on the beach with tables overlooking. It was a perfect place for a lunch while filling in time for our flight home.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am a regular at the Serena Terrace which is a great place for a coffee or if it is later in the day a beer. Perched on the Indian ocean this and with taarib in the evenings this is a relaxed place to have a drink and watch the dhows come home.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

On our stroll around Stone Town my husband and I decided to stop by the Serena and have a late lunch. As it was a beautiful day we did not want to sit inside and the waiters indulged us by setting for us a table overlooking the sea. The waiter was very friendly and we had some light banter with him about the hotel and Zanzibar. I ordered the "Samaki wa kupaka" which is fish in coconut sauce and my husband ordered the Chicken Tikka. We ordered our food to be spicy and they surely did not disappoint and giving us extra chilly for good measure. The food was delicious and the portions were generous but we managed to finish every bite. I wont lie the meal is slightly on the higher side but it is worth it. After the meal we settled indoors at the bar which has cozy lounges for a few drinks. Service and the atmosphere was excellent. If you are in Stone town do pass by the Serena even if it is just for a drink especially before the sunset...

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed at Serena Inn and really enjoyed relaxing at The Terrace. Great food, great atmosphere, great environment. Loved it and could quite easily sit there looking at that beautiful ocean for hours.