“Great view, that's it.”

Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
“Great view, that's it.”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Excellent roof top view for sunset.
Otherwise very touristy, slow service (it shouldn't take 15 mins to get one bottle of beer with two reminders and still not get it!).
Be careful paying in USD's, the waiters will apply their own exchange rate if you are not careful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
milan italy
“Great Indian food with view to match”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went there twice , the food was so tasty. Great samosas and the usual Indian menu. But it was fresh tasting and clean. Service a bit patchy but nowhere near the disasters I have read about here. There is a lift to the roof top, this is a real luxury in stone town. Most places you ave to climb 5 stories! Not a place for great cuisine , stone town , but this place is a trusty friend in a cuisine desert !

Visited September 2013
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
“I could not get much worse than this”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Thought I would stay in the hotel and have dinner on the rooftop for the first night in Stone Town. Big mistake. My friend and I started with the appetizer which was supposed to be Indonesian satay with peanut sauce. It turned out to be a couple of pieces of old chicken on a skewer with some chili sauce. I asked for the peanut sauce and the waiter brought me some Indian Korma sauce. So, first mistake, it was what was advertised. Now normally, I always trust a waiter or waitress, second mistake here. I ordered the fish tikka. It was so old and fishy tasting that it was inedible. I told the waiter how bad it was and he did offer to fix something else but my colleague/friend was also struggling with his meal. He ordered lamb in masala and the lamb was so tough I think he almost broke a tooth. I will say that at least that sauce was decent, can't say great but at least it resembled Indian food. The garlic naan was the only thing really good that represented anything that seemed like Indian food. I will also admit that they didn't charge me for the rotten fish. That was nice of them.

Durban, South Africa
“Roof top views”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This restaurant sits on the roof top of the Maru Maru hotel. After climbing what seemed to be a never ending stairway, the view from the top and the food wade it worth while. Excellent food, excellent service and an outstanding evening.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice rooftop terrace - view is better from the bar”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This was our back up hotel in case we changed our mind about staying at the Serena Inn. So in the end even though we didn't stay here, we went to the terrace restaurant for dinner the day we arrived (there's an elevator – an unusual feature for hotels here – up to the floor below the rooftop so you have to walk up the last flight of stairs). At sunset, the bar was packed as it was the choice place to watch the sunset. The restaurant, however, was covered and didn't have as good a view as the open terrace in front of the bar. And the music was a bit loud. Food was good however, we both had Indian curries - delicious and prices were very reasonable. All in all, a very attractive place, right in the center of Stone Town.

• Visited August 2013