“A Bad experience, so racist people”
Review of Maru Maru Hotel

Maru Maru Hotel
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Stone Town
Bwejuu, Tanzania
“A Bad experience, so racist people”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My name is Culture Hamada and I’m from Zanzibar, I went with my girlfriend to Maru Maru, we were inside the hotel when I was violently attacked by a person, the manager of the place, because I was barefoot. Without saying “sorry” or “ please” he come to me shouting aloud: GO OUT FROM HERE, WITHOUT SCHOES YOU CANNOT STAY HERE, GO AWAY! Me and my girlfriend try to say “don’t shout to us , we hare customers, you can’t treat us like this, be nice!” the manager reply with violence: “YOU HAVE TO GO OUT NOW FROM THIS PLACE OR I CALL POLICE! WE DON’T SELL NOTHING FOR YOU!GO OUT! SECURITY! SECURITY!” We didn’t have any chance to reply because he was shouting and shouting me, we were shocked by his behaviour, he treated me like a criminal, the security come to me and with his hand in my back pushed me to go out. We left the place feeling really disappointed for his bad way to invite me to go out. They have proven to be racist without any respect for the people of Zanzibar. The Zanzibarians like to walk barefoot and if we can’t go in a place for this reason at least tell us with kindness at the main entrance. Black, Barefoot, Rasta, WE are persons, don’t treat us like animals.
God bless you
Culture Hamada

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank cultureHamada
marumaruhotel, General Manager at Maru Maru Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Hamada,

We are running a hotel that is visited by international tourists and business travelers. While running this business every staff member of the hotel is trained on communications, etiquette, customer handling etc...our management do not approach any guest violently. we respect local community and the hotel has majority of local staff. We also respect your way of living in public areas. but please understand a private establishment has its rule & regulations to follow for the benifit of our guests and the hotel. The management do not tolerate anyone who is not willing to follow the rules of conducting the business such a n appropriate dress code. The management reserves the right of admission. This is for the safety, security of our guests staying at the hotel and to ensure the atmosphere and people inside the premises fit to the standards our guests expect in this hotel. when a request to leave the hotel premises is taken offensively by you the guest and start using foul languages then management have to take next step of using the security or law enforcement officers to remove the guest...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed in the Maru Maru for 2 nights. Great place to stay in Stone Town, ideally located near the fort and the waterfront. The hotel is colonial style with some modern twists and has a fantastic rooftop terrace bar and resteraunt. The staff were friendly and the rooms were good. The only area to improve would be the breakfast which was only average. Also the area around the hotel is a but noisy from early morning so you will be woken up early.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Hotel is very beautiful and clear. There is a nice terrace. Some nights there is live music at the terrace. Staff is generally helpful and friendly. It is at the central place.
But we didn't like the huge trash container which is very close to the hotel entrance. If they apply to municipality they can solve this problem. And our room was looking a wall only. And there was a huge noise (because of the air condition of the kitchen I think ). They shoud cancel that room in my opinion. And when you come to hotel they want to take credit card comission for booking.

Room Tip: Ask for the silent room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SonayKoman
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a fantastic hotel in Stonetown, we would happily stay again. Perfect location right amongst the alleys, shops, few minutes to the beach and gardens, right next to the old fort, great roof top restaurant and bar, lovely friendly staff, fresh and clean rooms. We were unfortunately involved in a car accident on our holiday and the staff looked after us very well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My mother in law and I stayed here for 2 nights earlier this week and we would both highly recommend it. We stayed in room 308 which had a great view, we were there on a week nights so there wasn't any live music and it was perfectly quiet with great wifi, air conditioning and an easy walk up to breakfast and the rooftop bar.

We ate lunch at the rooftop restaurant. My mother in law loved that there were a number of veggie and gluten-free options. The food was great and the price was pretty comperable to other restuarants in stone town. I didn't think the breakfast was bad, it wasn't amazing but none of the breakfasts that we've had while in Tanzania have been amazing; in fact, I'd say this one was above average.

We also really liked the location, it's in the heart of stone town so walking to shopping or to explore was very easy. We also walked to the market for dinner both nights which was less than a block away.

Most of all we thought the service was amazing. They greet you with juice and gave us (and I presume everyone) a free drink during happy hour the first night. Kalifa, the gentleman who greeted us and showed us to our room was particularly helpful. Even volunteering to run to the shop next door to buy a SIM card for our phone. He and the rest of the staff really went over and above. We felt great about staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Barcelona
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights , a new hotel in the very hearth of stone town . Good bed and excellent upper terrace to have a drink . Nice staff .

Price can have huge variations depending on when you book . I will recommend not to pay more than 120 Euro has can find other less fancy accomodation with high quality for this price . I payed around 80 euro night and was a excellent deal .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great location, very friendly staff, comfortable & well furnished & clean rooms. We really enjoyed every moment and will certainly recommend Maru Maru to everyone.

The only problem was, We arrived around 8:30am and could not make early check-in as our rooms were not ready. Staff were kind to show us a place where we could leave our luggage for the day and get change our clothes after a long, overnight flight and before we leave for spice & Prison Island tirp. However the place we used was a kind of small meeting room where changing clothes was uncomfortable. We were little worried to leave our luggages in an unlocked, easily accessible place for the day but thanks God we found all in place. However this was a minor problem besides our great pleasure in choosing Maru Maru Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 106 which was great. We believe rooms at first floor are perfetc in case there is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
DoubleTree by Hilton Resort Zanzibar - Nungwi
Park Hyatt Zanzibar
Park Hyatt Zanzibar
#2 of 33 in Stone Town

Been to Maru Maru Hotel? Share your experiences!