“good food and service”
Review of LOULOU Restaurant - CLOSED

LOULOU Restaurant
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine Belgian Cuisine in a refreshing, stylish and modern setting with romantic lighting, cool air-conditioning & gorgeous upscale cuisine. Using fresh seasonal ingredients combined with the finest of imported Belgian flabours. Loulou is a completely unique experience in Stone Town & cnsidered one of its best restaurants at very affordable prices. CLOSED ON WEDNESDAY
Reviewed August 15, 2014

this is a restaurant offering western european food.
the service was polite and quick (by zanzibar standards). the food was fine.

Reviewed August 15, 2014

Had a family lunch, with a dish that should please all the kids (steak frites). The setting is slightly austere, but the service was fast and friendly. The speculoos desert and the waffles were are spectular finish to our lunch, and while not on the cheap side, you definitely do not feel robbed when the bill comes. Overall, we would definitely come back, especially to try it out in the evening.

1  Thank dar_resident
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We decided to try this restaurant while we were in Zanzibar. Since it was not too far of a night walk from the hotel Serena Inn and it was a bit scary walking after dark, this restaurant got the nod. Unfortunately, the food did not live up to the reviews. It was not terrible but nothing special. The décor was also nothing special. On the evening we were there the air conditioning was either broken or not on and it was uncomfortably warm. I think there are better establishments to spend money on dinner in Zanzibar!

1  Thank Dorfman1949
Noel G, Owner at LOULOU Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear Sir, dear Madam,

I would like to thank you for having visited Loulou Restaurant. Allow me to write that, having been on internet to find Loulou, several pictures of our restaurant are displayed enabling you to have a preview about the ambiance to be expected. Furthermore, we offer Belgian cuisine, adapted to the products that we find locally with the exception of the meat and the chocolate which are imported directly from Belgium. I was sorry to read that you were not pleased about the large assortment displayed on our menu which, as you can read in many previous reviews seemed to please the majority of our clientele. Reiterating my thanks, I remain, cordially yours.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Good service. Delicious starters. Reasonably priced wine. Fries, as you'd expect from a Belgian place were good - with proper homemade mayonnaise!
But. But. But.
The lobster dish was awful. Lobster is best served simply. Grilled or boiled. Any flavours should enhance but not flood the flavour. This was smothered in cheese, diced carrot, chopped zucchini/ courgette - and who knows what else. What a shame! I bet if I ordered any other dish I would give it 4 stars.
Go. Review. Don't order the lobster. Instead mourn a culinary catastrophe.

1  Thank Brock C
Noel G, Owner at LOULOU Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear Sir, dear Madam,
I thank you for you review on TripAdvisor and for your visit to Loulou Restaurant last July 25th.
I was very sorry to read that you did not like our "Rock Lobster" préparation but I would like to bring to your attention that our menu specifies clearly "Two fresh cigal lobsters topped with a gratineed soufflé of prawns bisque". Had you expressed the wish to get it prepared differently, we would have been very glad to do so. Our Rock Lobester preparation is very popular among our clients and we have received many compliments for it; furthermore the picture displayed of it in our advertisement shows clearly that it is not served imply boiled or grilled. I thank you for the consideration you will give to my comments and we hope to be able to serve you as you request during you next visit. Cordially yours, Georges E. Noel - Owner

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stumbled upon this place by happenstance and were very pleased to find that the manager was American and the owner Belgian. We had great conversation followed by an excellent lunch. The food was wonderful and the staff friendly. You cannot go wrong adding this place to any Zanzibar itinerary.

2  Thank Trevor1223