“No advisable!”
Review of Mrembo Spa

Mrembo Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Mrembo (Kiswahili for beautiful, sophisticated woman) is a small, unique spa specializing in traditional beauty treatments from the Zanzibar Archipelago.Only locally grown flowers, herbs and spices are used in Mrembo's 100% natural remedies.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“No advisable!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

I went to the Mrembo with a friend as it was recommended by our hotel and as we had read the ratings on Tripadvisor. However, I was totally disappointed, to a point at which I decided not to book any treatment at the place. The rooms were dark, the treatment rooms are facing the street and are therefore very noisy. The interior is rather old - not in a stylish way, but dirty. This could be acceptable if the prices reflected these facts, but 45 USD for a one hour is way too much for this place. I consider it total a rip off. We found a small cosy place in one of the side streets. Cleaner, more quiet, friendlier 30 USD/hour.

Visited October 2013

Vancouver, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Authentic, but would not return.”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Mrembo Spa was was a very aruthentic "Stone Town" experience. Loved the welcome spiced tea they served while waiting. The homemade, natural products were lovely, but my fiancee and I had an experience that was a little uncomfortable at times.

We were led to a dark room in the back with a loud fan and construction sounds coming from outside the window. We could hear people walking past and felt they may be able to peer in... The massage bed felt a bit damp and my towel under my face pillow smelled mildewy and damp. The massage was nice but I never once felt that relaxed. The major downfall is we were both led to a shower next to a toilet, where therapists walked past while we rinsed off. There was no private partition and the water pressure barely rinsed off the scrub. We were not given towels, but instead a thin sheet/sarong - which barely dried us off. I also had to ask for shampoo. .

My fiancee had a very friendly therapist who seemed very professional and even made conversation with him. Mine was almost the opposite, but perhaps she was having a bad day.

All in all, definitely a unique and authentic experience, but I would definitely recommend the sister company "Zanzibar Different Tours" as we loved our Stone Town Tour, not so much the spa...

Visited November 2013
MremboSpa, Owner at Mrembo Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear crenee123,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I have read it carefully to understand how we can improve, and would like to answer to the issues you have raised:

Mrembo Spa is located in one of the traditional Stone Town buildings that are designed to allow privacy and keep out the tropical heat; therefore, they have thick walls and moderately sized windows. Most of our customers feel that the soft light creates a cozy and private atmosphere that helps them to relax, and I am sorry that it didn't have the same effect on you.

Regarding the noises you heard from outside, they must have come from the antiques workshop several houses down. Stone Town is a densely populated place where many people live and work; I realize it can be disturbing if you need real quietness to relax - but our curtains are definitely non-see-through, and we could have closed the shutters, too, if you would have told us that you are not feeling entirely comfortable.

After several days of heavy rains and 100% humidity, pretty much everything in Zanzibar starts to feel a bit damp, unfortunately including our thick cotton towels. For that reason you have been given a khanga instead of a towel for your shower: even in the exceptionally high humidity of those days, the lighter cotton of a khanga still feels dry and fresh. I apologize that we didn't explain this to you.

We do have a partition to shelter you from view while having a shower, and I have talked to my team to make extra sure it is tightly closed whenever a customer uses it.

Your therapist, Asha, is blind; it makes her a very intuitive massage therapist, but due to the lack of visual rapport she may also appear a bit more reserved than the other members of our team.

I do hope my comments shed some light on the circumstances of your visit at Mrembo Spa, and we would like to welcome you again someday, for a treatment or just for a cup of tea!

We are all very pleased that you liked your Stone Town Life Tour so much, thank you for giving us the maximum rating!

Warm regards,

Stefanie
Sunshine Coast, Australia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Not my style”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I was looking forward to my visit to Mrembo spa and had persuaded my family to also go there. Unfortunately I found it disappointing unlike most of the reviews here. Yes, my massage was done well but the skill of therapist was offset by the sounds of the street and voices just outside the curtained window, which was disconcerting. I honestly didn't feel entirely comfortable as if someone could just peer inside. The therapist was professional but I had trouble with some of the instructions. Nor was it all that great to have to walk quickly through the semi-public area to shower off.

I accept some of these limitations are down to my own perceptions, but a warning for others with similar sensitivities. I'm not a novice at day spas but this would not be my preferred choice if I was ever to be in Stonetown again, and I was sorry to have talked my daughters out of visiting their preferred option, which one had visited previously.

Visited September 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Topdollar experience!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I went to Mrembo spa for a little selfindulgence and pampering - and my did i got pampered.
Wow!
This place is just amazing.
The feeling of this place is simply just warm, welcoming, friendly and relaxed.

The products are all local, handmade and natural!

I got a massage by Asha - and oh my, has she got magic hands!

I also got a pedi - and even after more than a week on beaches and walking barefoot in sand and constantly stumbling my toes on rocks, stones and coral - the nailpolish still was flawless and perfect.

This is definitely the place to go and pamper yourself, supporting the environment and the community.

Visited September 2013
San Francisco, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Over-rated”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We chose Mrembo Spa based on the reviews on this site and were very disappointed. We paid $45 for what we thought would be a 60 minute massage and scrub. My boyfriend and I were led to a dark and grungy room where the ladies gave us a couples massage. The massage itself was very good but lasted only 20 minutes. The scrub part lasted only 5 minutes. We were then shown a shower to rinse off and were given dirty towels that barely covered anybody parts to make the walk back to our room. When we got back the lady who gave us the massage stayed in the room the entire time while we got dressed. About 40 minutes later we were done. And less than a day later we were covered in hives. We are not sure if it came from this place but its worth a warning.

Visited July 2013