“Topdollar experience!”
Review of Mrembo Spa

Mrembo Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Mrembo (Kiswahili for beautiful, sophisticated woman) is a small, unique spa specializing in traditional beauty treatments from the Zanzibar Archipelago.Only locally grown flowers, herbs and spices are used in Mrembo's 100% natural remedies.
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I went to Mrembo spa for a little selfindulgence and pampering - and my did i got pampered.
This place is just amazing.
The feeling of this place is simply just warm, welcoming, friendly and relaxed.

The products are all local, handmade and natural!

I got a massage by Asha - and oh my, has she got magic hands!

I also got a pedi - and even after more than a week on beaches and walking barefoot in sand and constantly stumbling my toes on rocks, stones and coral - the nailpolish still was flawless and perfect.

This is definitely the place to go and pamper yourself, supporting the environment and the community.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
in 6 reviews
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We chose Mrembo Spa based on the reviews on this site and were very disappointed. We paid $45 for what we thought would be a 60 minute massage and scrub. My boyfriend and I were led to a dark and grungy room where the ladies gave us a couples massage. The massage itself was very good but lasted only 20 minutes. The scrub part lasted only 5 minutes. We were then shown a shower to rinse off and were given dirty towels that barely covered anybody parts to make the walk back to our room. When we got back the lady who gave us the massage stayed in the room the entire time while we got dressed. About 40 minutes later we were done. And less than a day later we were covered in hives. We are not sure if it came from this place but its worth a warning.

1  Thank Whitney B
Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place is a little above my backpacker budget but something made me try it and I'm very glad I did.

The spa is set in a gorgeous traditional house and everything about the place oozes charm, from the massage rooms to the items on display for sale. So well designed and in keeping with local milieu.

I got the Singa scrub (with massage). It's the traditional Zanzibari scrub given to a bride prior the wedding,using a number of flowers and herbs. The scrub was a lovely end to the 1 hr massage.

My masseuse was excellent, light handed but very relaxing. I don't remember her name (Ashi perhaps). She is one of the 2 blind staff they currently have. This was not a selling point for me but I was impressed with the fact that this business not only provides employment for women but also people with disabilities (mind you, I don't believe being blind is a disability to a masseuse).

I was even treated to some of the traditional bridal rituals (chanting and pouring liquid) to end it all off. And I can say that my masseuse definitely knows how to shake her booty!

U.S. $45 for 1hr massage and Singa scrub. An extravagance for any long term traveller, but worth the money. I definitely recommend Mrembo Spa.

1  Thank WalkaboutKen
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was my first time at a spa in Zanzibar and it did not disappoint! I had a massage, henna, and manicure, and loved it all. Would recommend the massage the most. At first I was hesitant, having a male masseuse (Ali), but he was incredibly professional and there is nothing to worry about. Everything you would come to expect from a spa in Europe or North America, plus lots of charming extras, like locals spices and oils, Taarab music, and the massage itself was unique and rhythmical. Totally recommend this as a must do while in Stone Town!